GDT: 6/21-6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft - 8pm ET/ 1PM ET - NBCSN. SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
That logic dictates we also should have passed on Pastrnak since 24 teams passed on him
But that cuts both ways. It’s the consensus of amalgamated scouting resources vs the individual needs of 31 GMs that I’m referring to.

Could they all be wrong and any individual GM be right? Sure, we did definitely see that with 88, Bergeron and lots of others. DS knew better than the scouts and other GMs there on 88 and for that he deserves credit and I do credit him for that. It was a great call.

But, on the other hand there are armies of scouts and analysts out there who, ostensibly, are paid as a profession (such that it is) to evaluate these kids. I assume they’re employed so as to utilize their expertise. So, sure, you can go off the board and make your own picks. I’m just saying that if one elects to, one has to accept the responsibility of getting pilloried if things go south.

Donny has consistently put himself in that position. Big risk, big reward. When it works, he’s a genius. When not, he has to wear it.

All I’m saying is that I vehemently disagree with his philosophy. Easy for me, I’m JAG who can lob grenades; I’m not at the draft table. I will say this though, if I were Don, I would look at the my draft record using the approach I’ve employed and ask myself: “Has it worked, by and large, or has it not really worked?”

My view is that it hasn’t really worked more often than it has.

I’m a bit nonplussed that so many here reflexively defend the man and the philosophy without much sober analysis and take any criticism of DS as though it’s a personal vendetta. It’s not. It’s strictly business.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The same way the FBI has profilers to narrow down suspects, the B's use their methodology and high on the list is character. The John Moore " No Dicks need apply" sign is posted on Sweeney's door, as was ''the Buck stops here" was on Sinden's. When you look at Acciari. Kuraly, Kuhlman, all were high quality kids that were Captains in their Senior years in NCAA. Studnicka and Frederic were high character kids. They target these traits for right or wrong, maybe it's the Seguin syndrome. But there is a pattern there.
I can’t tell if that’s an endorsement or a criticism.

We’re talking about hockey clubs and not country clubs here, right?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I know nothing, but I was excited by our pick because of the users here were excited about the pick. When I went to read the kids scouting reports, the Size, Speed combo was always caveated with average to below average skill.
To me this sounds like we just drafted Sean Kuraly in the first round. He must have a higher ceiling than that. But what kind of skill limitations does this kid have. Is he the type who can't carry the puck? At least a couple sites indicated he may develop more offense if he takes more risks and that he is a coaches dream. Could someone talk about the upside they see on this kids skill and high end potential?
I do love this theme of going back to the UNTDP, despite my uncertainty on Frederic whom I still have 2/3 line center hopes for.
FWIW, when given the opportunity due to injuries and playing in a more offensive role, his production increased dramatically. It's a gamble, but one worth taking. He's likely to have a more prominent role in Michigan so this season will be interesting to keep tabs on him to see if there's more offensive skill there than he had a chance to showcase for USNDTP

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
FWIW, when given the opportunity due to injuries and playing in a more offensive role, his production increased dramatically. It's a gamble, but one worth taking. He's likely to have a more prominent role in Michigan so this season will be interesting to keep tabs on him to see if there's more offensive skill there than he had a chance to showcase for USNDTP
Thank you for the response. I also found this from our friend Last Word Army. The link was posted on the Beecher thread. The comparable is also noted as Couturier one of my favorite misses, from the Hamilton draft. However it was noted as a stylistic comparison and did seem to imply a lower ceiling which makes sense because I believe a Couturier clone would be drafted much higher.
John Beecher Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #51
Offensive Game

Beecher is able to play a power game. The majority of his goals are scored in tight to the net. He has the quick hands to pounce on rebounds, get deflections, and bang in one-timers in close. He also has the soft hands to deke a goaltender in tight. Beecher’s size and power allow him to get the puck to the net as well as to battle for position in close to the goal when he doesn’t have.
Beecher can also play the role of playmaker. He extends plays on the cycle, controlling the puck down low and giving his linemates time to get open. He shows the quick hands and the agility to make creative moves to shake a defender and open up a passing lane. Beecher has the vision to find an open teammate and can pass the puck through tight openings. He can also create offence through pressuring opposing defenders on the forecheck and creating turnovers. He is not afraid to throw a big hit and uses his size to its fullest advantage.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Pretty sure the report on Dorofeyev is that he's good at everything, but he's a poor skater. Bob McKenzie had him ranked 82nd, so that tells you how NHL scouts feel about him.
You know how Marchand's uncanny balance and quickness completely masks his lack of high end speed?

Dorofeyev would look just as good if he were seated on a wheelchair instead of skates. He's ridiculous. He's got a bag of tricks for stripping the puck from anyone that gets close to him - not just a stick lift, a whole diverse kit. And, while I haven't seen it happen, I could see him suffering an injury and getting knocked prone to the ice and still keep possession of the puck.

If he can sort out the skating to NHL average, he's going to be a monster.

Reactions: Spooner st

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'm still wondering why no media is criticizing Yzerman. His pick of Seider is the same as when TB took Koekkoek back in 2012 and Forsberg was picked right after.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'm still wondering why no media is criticizing Yzerman. His pick of Seider is the same as when TB took Koekkoek back in 2012 and Forsberg was picked right after.
They did on sportsnet. Specially Brian Burke before he says " I don't want to criticize Yzerman". :laugh:

Reactions: 00BW

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
So barring a trade into the 2nd round, Bruins pick next at #92.... A long ways away :(

Time to start throwing names out there that we'd like that could possibly be available. I'm going off my draft guide here, so these are his rankings. Will try and post some other rankings. Two guys that came to mind are below.

Judd Caulfied -- 6'3'' 207 lbs. -- RW (RS) -- TDA: 98 <> McKenzie/TSN: 85

One of the more underrated forwards available, the NTDP's other “Caulfield" (no relation to Cole Caufield) is a mean, physical winger blessed with soft hands, deft vision and the willingness to pay the price against any competition. He's spent a significant amount of time on the top six to start the season but later became a fixture on the bottom six; specifically, on a line with fellow masher John Beecher. He is an average skater speed-wise. Caulfield also can look smooth in transition and fools defenders with a variety of tricks, fakes and dangles. Where he makes most of his money is inside the offensive zone, where he uses his thick frame and strong leg drive to protect the puck for lengthy periods. Both he and Beecher proved to be an excellent top penalty-killing unit for Team USA.

Ethan Keppen -- 6'2'' 212 lbs. -- LW (LS) -- TDA: 87 <> McKenzie/TSN: UR

A muscular yet nimble power winger with an excellent shot who was one of the top forwards on one of the OHL’s worst teams, Keppen’s effort was consistently strong throughout the season, as he showed a willingness to outwork his opponents in all three zones. Keppen’s physicality and strength are evident from the moment he hits the ice, as he owns a powerful stride that helps him accelerate towards the puck and harass or mash opponents. Naturally, Keppen is murder along the boards and in the corners, and he can be immovable from the front of the net while jamming for multiple attempts at rebounds.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
They did on sportsnet. Specially Brian Burke before he says " I don't want to criticize Yzerman". :laugh:
Ah. Didn't see anything online so figured no one called him out. NBC last night said he could turn out like Carlo and that's great. I love Carlo but at 6th overall?

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
But that cuts both ways. It’s the consensus of amalgamated scouting resources vs the individual needs of 31 GMs that I’m referring to.

Could they all be wrong and any individual GM be right? Sure, we did definitely see that with 88, Bergeron and lots of others. DS knew better than the scouts and other GMs there on 88 and for that he deserves credit and I do credit him for that. It was a great call.

But, on the other hand there are armies of scouts and analysts out there who, ostensibly, are paid as a profession (such that it is) to evaluate these kids. I assume they’re employed so as to utilize their expertise. So, sure, you can go off the board and make your own picks. I’m just saying that if one elects to, one has to accept the responsibility of getting pilloried if things go south.

Donny has consistently put himself in that position. Big risk, big reward. When it works, he’s a genius. When not, he has to wear it.

All I’m saying is that I vehemently disagree with his philosophy. Easy for me, I’m JAG who can lob grenades; I’m not at the draft table. I will say this though, if I were Don, I would look at the my draft record using the approach I’ve employed and ask myself: “Has it worked, by and large, or has it not really worked?”

I’m a bit nonplussed that so many here reflexively defend the man and the philosophy without much sober analysis and take any criticism of DS as though it’s a personal vendetta. It’s not. It’s strictly business.

This is just quantitatively not true. He has some high profile missed but Sweeney has been consistently good at drafting since he took over.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Having a hard time picturing you sitting there, reading posts, drinking your morning coffee and being all “nonplussed”...

:laugh:

More like:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
This is just quantitatively not true. He has some high profile missed but Sweeney has been consistently good at drafting since he took over.

Not sold on the axiom that WAR/games played analysis determines whether a team has been "good at drafting". It's certainly a metric worthy of review, but it's not determinative in and of itself IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad