GDT: 6/21-6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft - 8pm ET/ 1PM ET - NBCSN. SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Ah. Didn't see anything online so figured no one called him out. NBC last night said he could turn out like Carlo and that's great. I love Carlo but at 6th overall?
Burke was saying Yzerman could of traded down and grab him later.

Reactions: 00BW

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Apparently Dubas was running from table to table lol...going to be difficult for a young GM to garnish respect...Especially with them hipster glasses.
I'm sure those glasses will be a turn off on a trade deal.
I mean have you see the Montreal Christmas tree? :naughty:

Reactions: DKH

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Not sold on the axiom that WAR/games played analysis determines whether a team has been "good at drafting". It's certainly a metric worthy of review, but it's not determinative in and of itself IMO.

You'd have to say it had zero value for it to not invalidate the point you made.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Apparently Dubas was running from table to table lol...going to be difficult for a young GM to garnish respect...Especially with them hipster glasses.
tenor.gif

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
You'd have to say it had zero value for it to not invalidate the point you made.
why? wins against replacement/games played can be used to prove the point that the guys drafted were servicable in that they played games but the weakness is that depending on the strength of the team, some guys would play more on some teams than had they been on others. I'm looking at impact, specific needs, and not letting "character" get too much in the way.

In other words, character guys like the Sean Kuraly's of the world are needed and should be drafted, but you can't win it all with a whole team of them.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Not picturing this.

Not trying to expose anything, but are you trying to tell me that you don’t enjoy creating a bit of chaos on the board with your contrarian “hot takes”??

We all do it sometimes...

some more than others.

I meant to convey that your post cracked me up. I forgot to include emoji that stood for "that's a funny and accurate quip". :oops:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
why? wins against replacement/games played can be used to prove the point that the guys drafted were servicable in that they played games but the weakness is that depending on the strength of the team, some guys would play more on some teams than had they been on others. I'm looking at impact, specific needs, and not letting "character" get too much in the way.

In other words, character guys like the Sean Kuraly's of the world are needed and should be drafted, but you can't win it all with a whole team of them.
It's a rate stat. Measuring the success of a team's draft per game is absurd. If WAR is worth a damn, use it to measure success by comparing total WAR.

Reactions: Lo97

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
John “Don’t Call me Jack Reacher” Beecher is tied for second tallest player taken in the 1st round, and is the heaviest at 209 pounds.

Take THAT Cole Caufield.
The kid is a mountain of a man. I mean he isn't wearing no double XL with those Shoulders.

Im pretty excited about this pick. Its next to the last pick in the first round and I feel its a high value pick as far as having him playing in the NHL He's Going to Michigan where he'll get even stronger and have more of an opportunity to flourish offensively. He's already is a great skater with size and a mean streak, and maybe just maybe once he's given the chance to play top line minutes he might bring his game to even a higher level.

At worst he becomes a third line player, but his ceiling is top six, who'll put fear in the opposition every shift he takes.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
ok, but lets not jinx this... God forbid if he becomes their next Mats Naslund...

Nothing like putting a little pressure on the kid :laugh:

My post was in jest, but to be honest, I wasn’t as high on Caufield as some. When I watched DeBrincat (without McDavid), I was like, Wow, this kid is a player.

I watched Caufield at the Worlds and said to my son, “He’s ok, but pretty sure you could score 50 playing with Hughes, Turcotte, and company”.

Let’s see how he looks without those guys before comparing him to Mats.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
But that cuts both ways. It’s the consensus of amalgamated scouting resources vs the individual needs of 31 GMs that I’m referring to.

Could they all be wrong and any individual GM be right? Sure, we did definitely see that with 88, Bergeron and lots of others. DS knew better than the scouts and other GMs there on 88 and for that he deserves credit and I do credit him for that. It was a great call.

But, on the other hand there are armies of scouts and analysts out there who, ostensibly, are paid as a profession (such that it is) to evaluate these kids. I assume they’re employed so as to utilize their expertise. So, sure, you can go off the board and make your own picks. I’m just saying that if one elects to, one has to accept the responsibility of getting pilloried if things go south.

Donny has consistently put himself in that position. Big risk, big reward. When it works, he’s a genius. When not, he has to wear it.

All I’m saying is that I vehemently disagree with his philosophy. Easy for me, I’m JAG who can lob grenades; I’m not at the draft table. I will say this though, if I were Don, I would look at the my draft record using the approach I’ve employed and ask myself: “Has it worked, by and large, or has it not really worked?”

My view is that it hasn’t really worked more often than it has.

I’m a bit nonplussed that so many here reflexively defend the man and the philosophy without much sober analysis and take any criticism of DS as though it’s a personal vendetta. It’s not. It’s strictly business.
No doubt that Sweeney has had some questionable picks, but I just don't think the time to criticize him for a particular pick is hours after he makes it. In the 2015 draft for best example, most people here were ecstatic to get Zboril (he was consensus pick in our range) while others were coining Debrusk as "DeBust" moments after the pick. Looking back at those few days following the pick many of us on here look idiotic because the fact is:

1) We have zero idea what these players say in the interviews - this is a large part of why people slide and why people are drafted higher

2) None of us watch juniors enough (unless getting paid to do it) to know how a player actually looks - we just go off of scouting reports.

Lastly, the consensus is wrong sometimes. Yakupov is the prime recent example....

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I assume you are referring to Frederic and Studnicka as the other two picks? If that’s the case, I am going to disagree with you on the whole “the results are mixed to put it optimistically” thing.

I like Frederic, but yes, the jury is still out on him. I wish the B’s had taken a chance on DeBrincat (which is something 30 other teams can also say).

However, with Studnicka, a late 2nd round pick that you are saying was a reach. How can you be unhappy with that pick at this point?

His 1st post draft season, he was named Captain of his junior team and rose above the point per game level in junior. Followed that up by looking pretty good at TC for a 19 year old, making the U20 team and finishing his junior career with 36 goals (and 83 pts) in 60 games. He has size, can skate, plays a 3 zone game and has leadership qualities.

For where he was picked, what is screaming mixed results (optimistically) to you? You are, apparently, the definition of a tough audience? Personally, at this point, I’m pretty happy with Studnicka at 53.

Agreed on studnicka. I’m fairly confident he will have a solid career and be a 2nd line center for the Bruin in the post bergy/krejci era

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
No doubt that Sweeney has had some questionable picks, but I just don't think the time to criticize him for a particular pick is hours after he makes it. In the 2015 draft for best example, most people here were ecstatic to get Zboril (he was consensus pick in our range) while others were coining Debrusk as "DeBust" moments after the pick. Looking back at those few days following the pick some many of us on here look idiotic because the fact is:

1) We have zero idea what these players say in the interviews - this is a large part of why people slide and why people are drafted higher

2) None of us watch juniors enough (unless getting paid to it) to know how a player actually looks - we just go off of scouting reports.

Lastly, the consensus is wrong sometimes. Yakupov is the prime recent example....
Those are all fair points, actually. I would like to see a more even mix of consensus picks and DS best judgment picks and with both, not have a character litmus test, but...as I said, I'm not an expert in this area, I just play one on this great stage we know and love as the LF!!!!

Reactions: Lo97 and NDiesel

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Baring trades, this is where the Bruins pick and some options:
3rd - 92 - Michal Teply 6'3" RW (Lauko was a great pick last year in the 3rd so maybe Teply also slips to the Bruins)
Martin Hugo Has - 6'4" RD (backup plan if Teply doesn't slip)
5th - 154 - Dustin Wolf - 6'0" G (I don't know if they will get Hayden Hawkey who hasn't signed with EDM yet so becomes UFA in 2 months so may take G here)
Tomas Mazura - 6'3" C (might be better option than Wolf, broken collar bone set back development for 1 year but has Boom potential)
6th - 185 - Ondrej Psenicka - 6'5" RW
7th - 192 -Sean Dhoogie - 5'3" (I just want someone to draft a 5'3" player. lol)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Not sold on the axiom that WAR/games played analysis determines whether a team has been "good at drafting". It's certainly a metric worthy of review, but it's not determinative in and of itself IMO.
Every statistic can be manipulated to get point of view across.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
My main hope for today is that DS can swing a trade to move up to an early second round pick. There are some fantastic players still left. Something involving Zboril I would consider if any takers could be found.

Reactions: TwineTickler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->