Bruins are big fast and can defend down the middle

Coyle
Kuraly
Frederic
Studnicka
Beecher

Lot of good options

If I’m Sweeney I have a hard time passing Robertson or Vlasic

But everything I read or watched on Beecher was positive and I was A-OK with the pick

Curtis Hall (Yale) and Jack Becker (Michigan) are seldom mentioned here. They are both big B's center prospects at 6'3" and 190+ pounds.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Curtis Hall (Yale) and Jack Becker (Michigan) are seldom mentioned here. They are both big B's center prospects at 6'3" and 190+ pounds.

Well Becker has been around for a good while now, and hasn't really shown much development. And I think can be a FA after the year

Hall had a disappointing Freshman year at Yale

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Well this is the 3rd time in 4 years they have made a very similar pick. going for the big, excellent athlete PF type who is rated a good bit lower based on consensus. But was though to have been hidden because of the other talent around him

So far the returns on the first 2 are mixed to put it optimistically . So is it unfair to compare this pick by the scouting staff to the 2 previous times they made a very similar selection using a very similar thought process
You notice the other similarity with all three?

None of them has any dangle to their game. Judgement free - just pointing out a peculiarity.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Why didnt Buffalo, who needs scorers more than us, not take Kaliev? Could it be his reputation for lack of competitive level and one way play been enough for them not to take him with there second first round pick, where it is less damaging to gamble on bust or home run prospects?

Good post Fenian. I don’t understand how or why posters seem to judge Sweeney on each and every individual micro event that occurs and rake him over the coals for those. He took control of an organization that was up against it with the cap and in a weird rebuild/retool/blow it up/run it back predicament. He managed to retool on the fly while cleaning up the cap mess leading the Bs to the finals this year (while collecting GMOTY which doesn’t mean much to me but nonetheless).

Although his decisions may go against your individual preference believe me he knows waaaay more than each and every one of you arm chair internet GMs. There are hits and of course there are misses but overall this is a well run organization period.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I'm putting in for an order of Pavel Dorofeyev tomorrow. That would certainly quench the thirst for stickhandling.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Some thoughts:

I think at this point, it's not so much that Sweeney and the rest of the scouting/management group have a type, but there are certain types of players they are not interested in.

If you do not care about defense, they will not draft you.

If you show inconsistent effort, they will not draft you.

If you interview poorly, they will not draft you.

I think this team could use a prospect that is highly skilled, but that's not the type of player they're interested in. We can keep hoping they'll take one of them, but it's not going to happen and it's not worth getting angry over it.

Prior to the draft, I had made a post about the draft picks Sweeney's made in comparison to Bob McKenzie's rankings, since his are generally considered to be the best consensus ranking. In the 1st round, Sweeney has never drafted a faller and, on average, the player he drafts is picked 11 spots higher than their ranking. I said that Beecher would be the perfect Bruins pick because he was ranked #41 (11 spots below pick 30), and, of course, he was the pick. I think this fits with what some others have said, which is that they decide who they're going to pick before the draft starts, rather than letting the board come to them. I don't think they're the only team that does this, but I it's a limiting strategy.

On to Beecher:

I think it's a solid pick. At worst, you can say it was a small reach, but there isn't much difference between 20 and 55 in this draft. He fits the bill of exactly what they're looking for, but I think it's ok to be disappointed that they didn't pick someone with higher offensive upside. It's entirely possible that he has more to show offensively, and hopefully he's able to show it at Michigan next year.

Reactions: Bergyesque

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
With just a little bit more scoring the Bs would have never had to worry about a game 7 and would have the Cup. For yet another season the Bs had a glaring hole at 2RW and ended up playing a previously scratched player on his last legs and a bottom 6 talent on that line in the Cup finals. Simply not good enough. This year's draft does not solve that issue from the 30th spot in the first round. My main concern is not with worrying about who they draft this year that may take several years to develop and will be ready when the veteran core is declining. My main concern is this offseason when it is time to augment the skill level of the team and push the team over the edge to be ready to compete for another Cup this coming season. FA signings and trades are 10x more important to me at this juncture than a draft in which the Bs pick 30th in the first round and then wait a long time before their next pick. Not terribly excited about who the Bs took, but not upset either. I would have preferred they go with one of the guys left on the board with more skill, however it's not like DS passed over any slam dunks, and certainly didn't pass over anyone who would be ready to step into the top 6 in the next couple years.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Looked like a scout was shouting at him on NBC.

It was heated for sure. I wonder if the scout was in love with the pick and Sweeney was ready to trade it.

They were the only team to go past the countdown and then finally move. Every other team was at the stage when 0:00 hit. Like he was waiting for a call that never happened.

Will love hearing about the drama at that table that took place.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I think at this point, it's not so much that Sweeney and the rest of the scouting/management group have a type, but there are certain types of players they are not interested in.

If you do not care about defense, they will not draft you.

If you show inconsistent effort, they will not draft you.

If you interview poorly, they will not draft you.
This.

A million times this.

In fact, this should be pinned to the top of any thread discussing potential Bruins draft picks. That way, we all know which players they're not going to pick, and nobody gets mad when they pass up a kid who scored 85 goals, and still managed to finish the year -29.

In fact, I'd also say that if you play in the CHL, you have to be ranked significantly higher than the other options on their board, or they will not draft you.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
And not even of Russian descent. He’s an Uzbek. From the country called Uzbekistan.
You can maybe say former Soviet Republic, but you can’t say Russian.
Eh

Most of the former Soviet Republics/provinces of the Russian Empire had considerable migrations of ethnic Russians/Ukranians to their cities in administrative roles. The indigenous Uzbek people are Central Asian Turkic peoples, much closer to Western China and Mongolia than European Russia.

Anyway, while he hails from the nation of Uzbekistan, I would wager that his descent is predominantly ethnically Russian, he looks much more Russian than Central Asian. It's all the same in the end, he's not going to be under the threat of jumping to the KHL or anything.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Again Lavoie is a RW. Do you even read people’s replies or just blurt out your random thoughts the second they pop into your head?

Why is it called the punic wars when Rome and Cathage fought?

Because the word punic probably means something derogatory to carthage in Roman?

I wonder if any of these hockey players appriciate some of the tipping points in history that even leads up to their exsistence.

I wonder what kind of sports teams they had at the time.. and if your city was destroyed by getting sacked or plague or pissed of assorted God came and destroyed it, what happens? Do you get a new roster? Filler draft from other city teams? We're they able to put whoever they wanted up for grabs and you just took him? Did they have a buy put period or did they just cut your head off?
When a gm was fired for picking poorly 3 consecutive spots in a row which probably cost you a championship, would they actually fire him by giving him the Greek oil and shooting him from a catapult?

My goodness tootsie rolls are just not like I remember them. Very waxy.

Did they have convienince stores in Carthage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad