GDT: 6/21-6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft - 8pm ET/ 1PM ET - NBCSN. SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Why didnt Buffalo, who needs scorers more than us, not take Kaliev? Could it be his reputation for lack of competitive level and one way play been enough for them not to take him with there second first round pick, where it is less damaging to gamble on bust or home run prospects?
Look, it could be. I’m not saying he’s the next Datsyuk. I’m just saying, if we need goal scoring wingers...and we do...then I’m going for a guy who’s coming off a 50 goal season in juniors. Yes, I know it’s a world of difference and that this is a human roulette wheel but for that reason, I would rather go with the better odds and go with what the majority of scouting services predict.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Imagine studnicka and tomasino as our future 1 and 2. Get him Donny !! Wake up
Bruins are big fast and can defend down the middle

Coyle
Kuraly
Frederic
Studnicka
Beecher

Lot of good options

If I’m Sweeney I have a hard time passing Robertson or Vlasic

But everything I read or watched on Beecher was positive and I was A-OK with the pick

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Look, it could be. I’m not saying he’s the next Datsyuk. I’m just saying, if we need goal scoring wingers...and we do...then I’m going for a guy who’s coming off a 50 goal season in juniors. Yes, I know it’s a world of difference and that this is a human roulette wheel but for that reason, I would rather go with the better odds and go with what the majority of scouting services predict.
young centers are a bigger need for the Bruins right now than goal scoring wingers. Pasta still very young, Marchand still 30, JDB 22 & a future 30 goal guy. Don't get me wrong, they DO need another goal scoring winger, but not as much as they needed a high end center to add to the pipeline with Bergy & Krejci starting to break down.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Has this scouting staff not earned some benefit of doubt by now?

Well this is the 3rd time in 4 years they have made a very similar pick. going for the big, excellent athlete PF type who is rated a good bit lower based on consensus. But was though to have been hidden because of the other talent around him

So far the returns on the first 2 are mixed to put it optimistically . So is it unfair to compare this pick by the scouting staff to the 2 previous times they made a very similar selection using a very similar thought process

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
You can teach alot, but not natural goal scoring ability. Sure reminds me alot of when they took Frederick with Debrincat still on the board. Hopefully this turns out better than that has.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Watching the Bruins forwards get b*tch slapped all over the ice by the big St.Louis D was aggravating. He may not be ready for a couple of years but hopefully Beecher will be a physical specimen as will the other big guys the Bruins drafted the last 2 or so years. Look, the Bruins are not fixed at center and even though nobody but Stud stands out right now as a top 2 center we have some nice competition building. Defense is the most difficult area in which to find players of NHL caliber. After that center is the next most difficult spot. The Bruins aren't looking for the "flash in the pan" kind of player. They took a big kid who IMO is going to blossom in the near future and be ready in a couple years to drive defense-men thru the boards. He loves watching Jack Eichel, hopefully he models his game after him. I'm not a fan of most of Sweeney's picks but my gut tells me that this is the type of player that the Bruins need for the long haul.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
You can teach alot, but not natural goal scoring ability. Sure reminds me alot of when they took Frederick with Debrincat still on the board. Hopefully this turns out better than that has.
this has crossed my mind, but the big difference here is that nobody questioned Debrincat's compete. Size was the only knock on him. Kaliyev had character & hockey IQ concerns & to me in today's NHL those are more of a disqualifying factor than size.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
He’s a other guy with limited offensive upside it seems and I can see people being frustrated a 50 goal scorer was left on the board. They’ve gone extremely safe with their last three first round picks and I will defer to them but I get the irritation.

The Bruins picked 30th. They passed on that 50g russian like all others in round 1.

They picked a 6'3 fast F that likes to drive the net. One type that is impossible to get in a trade or without overpaying as a UFA.

He may never make it. But why whine seconds after the pick?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Are we planning on developing him as LW or C? I completely forgot about him when he's probably our highest upside prospect.
Sweeney noted on Sirius NHL that they like 2 position players. I take that to mean that they see him as being an option at either.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
From the arguing that Sweeney seemed to be doing with his people and the angst on his face it looks like he put his job on the line and said "LOOK, THIS IS THE GUY I WANT, I'M THE GM AND I MAKE THE FINAL CALL." Don't know who he was arguing with but Sweeney seemed pretty adamant about this. I'm just glad he didn't take yet another defenseman or a 5'8'' winger... Sick of seeing Bruin forwards getting plastered to the boards and concussed!

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Every team needs a 50g scorer.

Yet, your favorite was passed by every teams today.

Beecher says eat that.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Burke said a scout(s) he was talking to said that he will be a 2nd line winger minimum.

We'll see on the offensive side. I don't see his floor that high. Don't hate the pick, just preferred some of the higher upside players. I think his floor is an NHL player, not sure his floor is a top 6 player.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Bruinguru

Jul 8, 2013
Saskatoon, SK
Consensus on Beecher was 30 to 42, couple services had him a little lower. Beyond liking this pick there is a huge difference between taking Senyshyn, ranked anywhere from 42 down, to Matt Barzal, who many had as a top ten pick at 15.

They needed size in the system at forward badly, he can skate and will put up better numbers at Michigan playing top 6 minutes. The USNDT was stacked this year and he still produced, learned to play defense and was there most physical forward.

In 3 years he is at worst the number 3 center with a real chance at being a number 2. That isnt bad at 30

Except according to what the "experts" were saying, he will definitely be a winger at the NHL level...

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Yes, and we do need size; this S.C proved that. It just sorta feels like there’s a plan to build a team of Kuralys sometimes. Banging, toughness, hitting, winning puck battles all very important, but so is putting the biscuit in the basket so when we have a chance to get guys who can do that, at the draft, rather than through trades or FAs, I really want to see the team do that.

Reactions: Bruinator

maswe12

Feb 27, 2002
orlando, fl
That's all well and good, but that was exactly the Zach Senysyn story. Big outstanding skater, future power forward. Stats stiffed by being on a stacked team

Agreed, although he was a bigger reach and taken much earlier in the first round. Also Senysyn is smaller and still hasn't hit 200 lbs.

The draft is an inexact science...and only gets harder to predict later in the first round and in later rounds. None of these guys (who scored in juniors but clearly had red flags) were going to come in and fill the hole on the 2nd line next year. There is an organizational need for centers and Sweeney drafted one tonight...hopefully it works out.

Reactions: Strafer

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Steal of the draft was unfortunately made by the Habs. I was hoping somehow DS would pull off a trade to move higher in the draft and grab Caufield. Had no idea the kid would drop as low as he did. Montreal got an incredibly talented player. Other big surprise for me was where Krebs was taken. Seems to me like some teams are going to regret passing on him.

Still several really good players available for round 2 due to some incredibly stupid GMs showing why their teams continue to suck. First 5 or 6 picks in that round will be intriguing. There will be a some absolute steals in the second round.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lavoie would have been safer and more scoring upside. He's big too . French centers aren't too bad you know.

Not sure Lavoie is safer, he has big compete issues. Also not sure Lavoie plays Center in the N Hl, seems many considered him a RW prospect (of course we need one of those as well)

Bruins NEED a second round pick. Any chance we trade for one?

It certainly is possible. I doubt it will be at the top of the second if they do

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad