Post-Game Talk: #51 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Saturday, May, 1, 2021 | Loss 4-1

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
I think it would be funny to find out who you think the team's best defenseman is this year.

Who do you think is the team's best dman?

# 9 .....of course

no other Dman comes close to his vision and first pass out of the Flyers zone.....but of course you've seen that, right ?

FUNNY ??, HOW ? :mad:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They've all struggled, like Sanheim and Ghost allowing a Devil to get behind them.
Oh yeah, Hagg keeps carrying Ghost.

Every dman let's men behind them. That's a feature of the system.

Hogg carries nobody. Ghost is this defensive anchor. He's a passenger whose career will end shortly after we finally spit him out.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Yup , there’s definitely tiers with significant separation between the top two and everyone else. Probably something like...

Ghost and Sanheim

Provorov and Braun

____ NHL level ____

Morin

Myers

Hagg

Prosser

Anyone suggesting they've all been bad and nobody should be called the best (as quite a few people have said) are just people who won’t admit that Ghost has been great this year, which many swore would never happen again.

ghost(razzmatazz) -6
sanheim -19

:ha:

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Every dman let's men behind them. That's a feature of the system.

Hogg carries nobody. Ghost is this defensive anchor. He's a passenger whose career will end shortly after we finally spit him out.

DEFENSIVE W-H-A-T ?????

I'm calling the COPS .....stay right the F where you are, don't you move :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think my favorite Hogg play last night was when Ghost was battling along the boards on the right side and Hogg covered the net. The puck was chipped to Hogg's side of the ice. Instead of going to the puck since he was the closest defender and letting Ghost take his spot, he stood there drooling on his chest. Ghost arrived, realized Hogg was mentally bluescreened, and tried to skate past him to do Hogg's job. Hogg finally moved, to run into Ghost and stop him. Ghost got untangled and went to do Hogg's job.

Really dazzling stuff. Truly the quality of play one expects from a dman who leads the team in very carefully selected statistics devoid of context. This nonsense has happened for years. Part of what makes Sanheim and Ghost better partners for Hogg is that they can skate well enough to do Hogg's job when he's too confused to do it himself, and it is routine to see them covering both sides with him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, Ghost is headed to Seattle, they're not protecting him and he's a better bargain than Voracek or JVR.
So get used to it.

They're not going to blow it up b/c there isn't much left to blow up.
You're not going to get much in a trade for any veteran other than Couts. Moving Voracek or JVR is a salary dump. G ain't going anywhere.

Reactions: WIP CALLER

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, Ghost is headed to Seattle, they're not protecting him and he's a better bargain than Voracek or JVR.
So get used to it.

They're not going to blow it up b/c there isn't much left to blow up.
You're not going to get much in a trade for any veteran other than Couts. Moving Voracek or JVR is a salary dump. G ain't going anywhere.

You seem pleased at the team getting worse, just to ditch a good dman for no return?

I thought we were definitely going to be contenders this year and next?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I don’t see a star player in the organization that will replace G.

Patrick was our lucky lottery ticket for a MacKinnon / Eichel type. But it most definitely didn’t pan out that way.

Farabee might be the best of the bunch, and that’s pretty much the end of the list.

Maybe you can win a Cup without true star talent if you have enough depth, but depth is nowhere near as exciting to watch as star power.

It’s ridiculous how quickly Fletch made this team as vanilla as the Wild without really doing anything.

They know they don’t have that younger player to help truly push this club forward. It’s why they were marketing Hayes so heavily as the shiny new toy.

Realistically, I do understand how they can talk themselves into giving this thing kind of another go next season. I don’t agree with it but I can see their thinking.

I understand how calling Hextall’s half ass rebuild a failure will be difficult for them, but if next season isn’t a true concrete step to contention you need to call a spade - a spade and stop throwing seasons away with a club made up of far too many secondary pieces.

If the right amount of talent isn’t close to being here already, it sure as hell isn’t coming with infusing a mid 1st round pick every couple years. For the hate JVR, Jake and Giroux seem to get - who still leads the team in points and play most nights?

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersnorth

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
From a fanbase point of view, Scott needs to realize that an open and transparent approach to gathering true high end marketable talent is the better way to go.

Losing records or not, fans will be drawn to that more than a club trying to claw its way into a first round victory where everyone knows they have no chance in hell at realistically beating the true elite clubs of the league.

There isn’t enough here, not anywhere close - and I don’t hate the guys by any means.

Reactions: freakydallas13

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Theory: Ghost and Sanheim see stat boosts with Hogg because he's so checked out they have to be more involved, and as our two best dmen their increased involvement benefits the team.
That could be a part, but I think it's more that when they're with him, they get sheltered.

Ghost Offensive zone faceoff %
Overall: 53.87%
With Hagg: 64.44%

With Morin: 56.52%
With Provorov: 52.73%
With Myers: 52.06%
With Sanheim: 44.68%

Sanheim Offensive zone faceoff %
Overall: 46.86%
With Hagg: 56.58%

With Myers: 49.02%
With Braun: 45.45%
With Ghost: 44.68%
With Provorov: 31.82%

*with partners with at least 75 min together at 5v5

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You seem pleased at the team getting worse, just to ditch a good dman for no return?

I thought we were definitely going to be contenders this year and next?

We will be next year unless Hart has completely gone South.
Last six years the bad years are when the goalies went belly up. I mean bottom five bad, this year worst in the NHL by a wide margin.

We will upgrade Elliott and add a RHD.
Don't really need to do much more than get healthy and make this season a distant memory.
If AV doesn't turn it around, there will be a new HC by January.

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3