Post-Game Talk: #51 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Saturday, May, 1, 2021 | Loss 4-1

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
And Hayes can't be moved until 2022-23. Nor do they have a center to replace him next season.
Hayes has not found a love affair in Philly. In fact e is quickly becoming one of the despised players on the roster. Its to what he envisioned when he signed here. Hayes came into town with the idea in his head that he was going to be a roster changer. That hasn't happened and he has probably irritated the veterans that are here with his sense of entitlement. Going forward, Hayes might see that he's not a star on this club. That he'll never be the 1C and will be fortunate to be the 2C, especially if a smart coach move G back into that position. With this in ind, Hayes might well waive his NMC to get a fresh start in another town. Centers for next season should be Couturier, Giroux, Frost, Laczynski. Patrick or whoever gets added in a deal.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Never thought moving Couturier would be a possibility but if they aren’t going to bring in players to surround him, they might as well deal him for a haul and tank next year.

I can only see a path to current success a few unlikely ways. Trading Couts should get you 1st and a high level prospect and likely another 1st or good piece. Also sell off some other pieces and have maybe 4 1sts including a lottery pick for us.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I can only see a path to current success a few unlikely ways. Trading Couts should get you 1st and a high level prospect and likely another 1st or good piece. Also sell off some other pieces and have maybe 4 1sts including a lottery pick for us.

A strong commitment either way is all I’m asking for. Can’t take any more mediocrity.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

They would unfortunately never do it.

It’s too bold of a move, and them trying to sign a high mileage Couturier, soon to be flirting with 30 - to a mega deal is something you could likely bet your house on.

It’s the kind of move that could benefit this franchise for years to come - but alas... Vanilla is the name of the game now.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hayes has not found a love affair in Philly. In fact e is quickly becoming one of the despised players on the roster. Its to what he envisioned when he signed here. Hayes came into town with the idea in his head that he was going to be a roster changer. That hasn't happened and he has probably irritated the veterans that are here with his sense of entitlement. Going forward, Hayes might see that he's not a star on this club. That he'll never be the 1C and will be fortunate to be the 2C, especially if a smart coach move G back into that position. With this in ind, Hayes might well waive his NMC to get a fresh start in another town. Centers for next season should be Couturier, Giroux, Frost, Laczynski. Patrick or whoever gets added in a deal.

cTyCJ1z.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
EVERY team accumulates limited D-man, heck, St Louis won a Cup with 35 year old Bouwmeester playing the 3rd most minutes on that team.
That's because it's hard to have six top flight NHL ready defensemen at one time, and prohibitively expensive to keep them together.

There's a substantial difference between Bouwmeester and Hogg in terms of limitations. This team has spent the last ten years always assuring that they have some of the worst and most limited dmen in the whole league on the ice.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Or be a little patient. Not every player arrives at 19 years old.
Frost, Farabee have a lot of upside, TK is a 40 point ES scorer at 23, Lindblom got derailed for two seasons but should be 100% next year.
The young defensemen are entering their prime seasons, about the age when many D-men take the next step.
A lot more talent on the way.

Carolina has only one high pick:
Svechnikov #2 51g, 9-12 21 at 20 years old
Aho, #35, is a solid 50 point ES scorer
Trocheck, trade [Haula, Loustarinen, Wallmark]
Staal, trade [illustrates how hard it is to judge, 1st rd used for Pouliot, but also Dumoulin, and Brandon Sutter, later flipped for Bonino]
Necas, #12
Neiderreiter, trade [Rask]
Foegele #67
Teravainen trade [w/ Bickell for 2nd, 3rd]
Fast FA 2020

Slavin #120
Hamilton, trade [w/ Ferland and Fox for Hafinin and Lindholm]
Pesce #66
Skjei trade [2020 1st]

Reimer, trade [6th rd]
Nedeljkovic #37 [started 4 games until this season, when he turned 25]
There's healthy optimism and then there's straight gullibility. I know which one this is.
So now we're of the belief that Morgan Frost is the kind of player that could usurp Couturier on the top line?
That Frost is the kind of player who can go head to head with the McDavid/Mackinnons of the world?

Based on what exactly?
Hockey fans like to scream that ultimate team game stuff but this game is star driven just the rest.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
They would unfortunately never do it.

It’s too bold of a move, and them trying to sign a high mileage Couturier, soon to be flirting with 30 - to a mega deal is something you could likely bet your house on.

It’s the kind of move that could benefit this franchise for years to come - but alas... Vanilla is the name of the game now.
When that deal ($10Mm x8?) happens this coming January 2nd (and it will), it will be a disaster. Not immediately, but eventually. Like you said, trading him is not in their DNA. All they have to do is look upstream to No. NJ and NYC (picking in the top 2 for two years doesn't hurt either, of course, you still have to make the correct selections) ...

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Players gonna go after money and term always. They want the best deal they can get...who can blame them. Teams have to plan for the fact that they may not be able to resign guys or they are going to have to play a premium. Boston lucked out with their top guys signing team friendly deals...top players accepting salaries in the 6m range...that's what you need. You know why players sign those deals? If they are winning and contending. What on earth have the flyers done in the past 10 years that would make anyone take a team friendly discount to play here?

Ed Snider and the family friendly vibe, protecting alumni...doesn't seem like that's around anymore. The flyers are now just another business and they are a losing business. So what's the result? Your going to have pay a premium for free agents, and you are going to have to retain your rfa's at a higher then anticipated value because you aren't winning, and the warm/fuzzy side of the franchise is gone.

So yeah, if you want to keep Coots, who just won a Selke, and is consistantly one of the top players on your team...you probably are going to overpay.

So the other option is drafting well and developing...something Hextall did well but the development side has been showing signs of weakness this season.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Silly idea is keeping the current players and just getting a new coach.

You can’t possibly think Couturier is the issue though? This guy is the reigning Selke holder and had a 5 point night with a torn MCL.

Voracek? Sure. Couturier? Insane.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Voracek is not a problem.

What is wrong with this fanbase? Constant complaints about the team while turning on the few players who actually help them win.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They won’t do it anyway but I’m pretty much in favor of blowing it up at this point. Trade pretty much everybody that you can over 25 ASAP. As I have much more faith in lottery balls than I do in Chuck Fletcher somehow magically turning this team into a Stanley Cup contender with it’s current parts.

I don’t blame guys like Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, etc. for having their careers wasted by this organization though.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
They won’t do it anyway but I’m pretty much in favor of blowing it up at this point. Trade pretty much everybody that you can over 25 ASAP. As I have much more faith in lottery balls than I do in Chuck Fletcher somehow magically turning this team into a Stanley Cup contender with it’s current parts.

I don’t blame guys like Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, etc. for having their careers wasted by this organization though.

FeminineEveryGraysquirrel-max-1mb.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad