Post-Game Talk: #51 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Saturday, May, 1, 2021 | Loss 4-1

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nope. I only went to one game with my brother because he needed something to do and the one with Thatcher Venmo. Sold the rest. Turned a $1,200 profit overall.

I can confidently say that I made money off of those fools this year. The Flyers got my money but I got more than they got from me.

Whose gameworn were you conned into buying?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Whose gameworn were you conned into buying?
Well I was conned by myself.
j8mbc6l8o3m41.jpg

Lindblom’s Third Jersey Set Two (aka the one worn in the HFC night a couple weeks ago). That’s one that can stand by itself regardless of how shitty this year was.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The star player is on the roster in Couturier. He's not the flashy McDavid but he's a star a la Bergeron.
I agree with you on Fletcher allowing this club to be Minnesota pt. II. However that happened by bringing in the coaching staff that he did and keeping Gordon at LV. Those mistakes can be easily remedied; fire them. New coach with a different more aggressive style of play and this can all be quickly reversed. There is a lot of talent on this club and in the system. This summer we'll see what Fletcher is made of. If he allows the sludge behind the benches to stay, he is AV's poodle.

Yes, Coots is a star. But he's already 28, and in his prime. I consider him to be closer to G's 'age tier' than the youngins.

I was referring more to the young batch not having a superstar talent. If you're gonna be bad for close to a decade, you've gotta hope as a fan that the organization will find a way to get a real star player to build around. Unfortunately we weren't bad enough and had some amazing lottery luck, but ended up with Patrick. It's not his fault, it just is what it is. I still think he will become very good player, but I'd bet more in the top 60 center category than the top 30. That's still a very useful important need on any good team.

I'll add that if Hart can untap and reach his potential, he will be a star, and probably the most significant one on this team. Farabee could be a top 15 winger.

I'm still optimistic right now that Fletch can do something significant and positive. To what degree, I don't know.

I've soured on the coaching staff, but I'm waiting till after the offseason for a more definitive read on Fletch.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would first try and take a shot at Hamilton for a legit top pair or for Eichel for maybe the best 1-2 center combo in the league. If that doesn’t happen as expected then blow it up and absolutely clean up with trades of guys like Couts and G. Tank and get the talent in line with the D and Hart.

Fletcher has not done well in deals so far so I think judging him as a poor GM is fair currently. He hasn’t been completely free TK make moves until this year so we will see I guess. But you have a flat cap and not a lot of movement with an expansion draft. Seems like a incoming fail to me.

Reactions: duffy9748

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This is not the flyers we have ever known. This is a Buffalo/Detroit type situation where we are just going to be screwed. Fletcher had never in his career proved to be capable to make the moves that need to be made. There is no one above him pressuring him to make these moves, because there is no one above him who knows hockey.

Yep. Though, at least with a Detroit or Buffalo situation we’d get an Eichel or Dahlin or Larkin type eventually. Better flavor than the decade plus of pure mediocrity I think.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I can't kill Elliott for being Elliott. People know how I think that should've been handled, but he was perfectly fine when he was able to be the clear backup early in the season.

Yeah, I’ve never minded Elliott. Throughout his career he’s been a pretty solid goalie as long as you play him at a backups pace. Not his fault this organization sucks at development and can’t field a great 50 game starter to save their lives.

Reactions: marcsson68

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well, Ghost is headed to Seattle, they're not protecting him and he's a better bargain than Voracek or JVR.
So get used to it.

They're not going to blow it up b/c there isn't much left to blow up.
You're not going to get much in a trade for any veteran other than Couts. Moving Voracek or JVR is a salary dump. G ain't going anywhere.

Greatest thing about this post is that at the time of reading it the only person to like it is someone named WIP Caller.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Greatest thing about this post is that at the time of reading it the only person to like it is someone named WIP Caller.

People rarely like the truth, which is the appeal of "alternative facts."
But the truth is you can't blow up what has already been blown up, and the first thing you dump in a rebuild are over-30 veterans with big contracts.
There is the silly group that thinks moving out Braun, Hagg and Prosser constitute a "major change."
And Hayes can't be moved until 2022-23. Nor do they have a center to replace him next season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But the truth is you can't blow up what has already been blown up, and the first thing you dump in a rebuild are over-30 veterans with big contracts.
There is the silly group that thinks moving out Braun, Hagg and Prosser constitute a "major change."
And Hayes can't be moved until 2022-23. Nor do they have a center to replace him next season.

Not accumulating limited dmen and force feeding them time over the players you're trying to develop would be a massive change for this team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not accumulating limited dmen and force feeding them time over the players you're trying to develop would be a massive change for this team.

EVERY team accumulates limited D-man, heck, St Louis won a Cup with 35 year old Bouwmeester playing the 3rd most minutes on that team.
That's because it's hard to have six top flight NHL ready defensemen at one time, and prohibitively expensive to keep them together.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
It’s amazing that all the irony in the world goes over your head whether it’s intentionally or unintentionally.

Reactions: Striiker

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yes, Coots is a star. But he's already 28, and in his prime. I consider him to be closer to G's 'age tier' than the youngins.

I was referring more to the young batch not having a superstar talent. If you're gonna be bad for close to a decade, you've gotta hope as a fan that the organization will find a way to get a real star player to build around. Unfortunately we weren't bad enough and had some amazing lottery luck, but ended up with Patrick. It's not his fault, it just is what it is. I still think he will become very good player, but I'd bet more in the top 60 center category than the top 30. That's still a very useful important need on any good team.

I'll add that if Hart can untap and reach his potential, he will be a star, and probably the most significant one on this team. Farabee could be a top 15 winger.

I'm still optimistic right now that Fletch can do something significant and positive. To what degree, I don't know.

I've soured on the coaching staff, but I'm waiting till after the offseason for a more definitive read on Fletch.
Failing to draft a true superstar talent despite being mediocre for so long is incredibly frustrating. We tried to rebuild through the draft and then you have a team like the Bruins that won the Cup in 2011 and missed the playoffs only twice since then and still managed to draft well and get a player like Pastrnak who's better than any player we've drafted in the last decade.

Our only hope seems to be the free agent market or a win-now trade.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I would first try and take a shot at Hamilton for a legit top pair or for Eichel for maybe the best 1-2 center combo in the league. If that doesn’t happen as expected then blow it up and absolutely clean up with trades of guys like Couts and G. Tank and get the talent in line with the D and Hart.

Fletcher has not done well in deals so far so I think judging him as a poor GM is fair currently. He hasn’t been completely free TK make moves until this year so we will see I guess. But you have a flat cap and not a lot of movement with an expansion draft. Seems like a incoming fail to me.

Never thought moving Couturier would be a possibility but if they aren’t going to bring in players to surround him, they might as well deal him for a haul and tank next year.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Failing to draft a true superstar talent despite being mediocre for so long is incredibly frustrating. We tried to rebuild through the draft and then you have a team like the Bruins that won the Cup in 2011 and missed the playoffs only twice since then and still managed to draft well and get a player like Pastrnak who's better than any player we've drafted in the last decade.

Agreed!

Maybe we can win a Cup with depth and a few excellent - though not elite - players in key positions. I'll never say no to winning and a great team.

The lack of superstar lament on my part is purely from my enjoyment standpoint.

I've loved watching G night in and night out for the past decade. How many other players on the Flyers in that time can you say that for?

So once he leaves, who is that star player that can dazzle you and is just darn fun to watch (and has the results to back it up)?

Reactions: LorneMalvo

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Or be a little patient. Not every player arrives at 19 years old.
Frost, Farabee have a lot of upside, TK is a 40 point ES scorer at 23, Lindblom got derailed for two seasons but should be 100% next year.
The young defensemen are entering their prime seasons, about the age when many D-men take the next step.
A lot more talent on the way.

Carolina has only one high pick:
Svechnikov #2 51g, 9-12 21 at 20 years old
Aho, #35, is a solid 50 point ES scorer
Trocheck, trade [Haula, Loustarinen, Wallmark]
Staal, trade [illustrates how hard it is to judge, 1st rd used for Pouliot, but also Dumoulin, and Brandon Sutter, later flipped for Bonino]
Necas, #12
Neiderreiter, trade [Rask]
Foegele #67
Teravainen trade [w/ Bickell for 2nd, 3rd]
Fast FA 2020

Slavin #120
Hamilton, trade [w/ Ferland and Fox for Hafinin and Lindholm]
Pesce #66
Skjei trade [2020 1st]

Reimer, trade [6th rd]
Nedeljkovic #37 [started 4 games until this season, when he turned 25]

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Agreed!

Maybe we can win a Cup with depth and a few excellent - though not elite - players in key positions. I'll never say no to winning and a great team.

The lack of superstar lament on my part is purely from my enjoyment standpoint.

I've loved watching G night in and night out for the past decade. How many other players on the Flyers in that time can you say that for?

So once he leaves, who is that star player that can dazzle you and is just darn fun to watch (and has the results to back it up)?
Yeah, superstar players are exciting to watch and they also help boost fan interest. But I also believe you can't win a Cup purely with depth. You need a real difference maker. Someone who can carry a team when needed. I think Couturier can be a difference maker, but we need better playoff performances from him than last season.

A guy like Eichel would be a breathe of fresh air on this team on so many levels.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Or be a little patient. Not every player arrives at 19 years old.
Frost, Farabee have a lot of upside, TK is a 40 point ES scorer at 23, Lindblom got derailed for two seasons but should be 100% next year.
The young defensemen are entering their prime seasons, about the age when many D-men take the next step.
A lot more talent on the way.

Carolina has only one high pick:
Svechnikov #2 51g, 9-12 21 at 20 years old
Aho, #35, is a solid 50 point ES scorer
Trocheck, trade [Haula, Loustarinen, Wallmark]
Staal, trade [illustrates how hard it is to judge, 1st rd used for Pouliot, but also Dumoulin, and Brandon Sutter, later flipped for Bonino]
Necas, #12
Neiderreiter, trade [Rask]
Foegele #67
Teravainen trade [w/ Bickell for 2nd, 3rd]
Fast FA 2020

Slavin #120
Hamilton, trade [w/ Ferland and Fox for Hafinin and Lindholm]
Pesce #66
Skjei trade [2020 1st]

Reimer, trade [6th rd]
Nedeljkovic #37 [started 4 games until this season, when he turned 25]
We still have players with upside, but when I look at our young forwards, I see a lot of complementary pieces and no real difference maker. Farabee is probably our best bet.

Reactions: flyersnorth

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Or Eichel is the next Duchene.
I've always liked Duchene, but I don't think that's a good comparison at all. Even at his best Duchene has never been on the same level as Eichel. Eichel has the potential to be a 100 point player on a good team. Duchene at best is a point per game player.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad