Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Unreal performance tonight. He had a fantastic zone entry and assist on the first goal of the game. He helped set up Entwistle on a breakaway, no goal but there was a penalty shot which ended with a goal. Then that beauty.

Reactions: PuckLife

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Looking forward to watching this. Up until now he's been putting up points but hasn't been "dynamic".

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm 2 periods into OHL Russia game. Hayton has been great centering easily the most effective line with Radcliffe (who hsould have been a Coyote) and the once a Coyote Entwhistle ( who I think will play in a bottom 6 capacity in the show as a player you hate competing against).

I'm at the point where I'm ready to concede that Hayton is better than Frost. He isn't as offensively skilled but he's better all around player. I've watched a number of SOO games and Hayton is much more involved. Frost just scores if that makes sense. Hayton is just so diverse in what he brings. For all the joking we do about him being Premium he is a very good (albeit not dynamic) prospect. He deserved to be a top 10 pick last year. I still have trouble with top 5.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Doesn’t that have to do a bit with opportunity? What does it look like when you compare only the games Hayton was actually available for?
Exactly. Hayton is the C that seemingly plays all the hard matchups. When they play good teams he is more responsible to stop them from scoring.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Doesn’t that have to do a bit with opportunity? What does it look like when you compare only the games Hayton was actually available for?
Yeah thats a good point, dataset for him is very small

Here's Nate Schnarr if anyone is interested

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Having said that, Nick Cousins is one of only 713 people in the world on an active National Hockey League roster, and one of an even smaller number of those players making a million dollars or more a year in salary... so being another Nick Cousins doesn't seem so bad.

I'm not here to bash Nick, but we need our 5OA pick to be much, much better.

Our top P/GP guy right now is Gally, and he ranks 114th in the league.

Keller is our top point producer and he ranks 122nd.

We need a superstar or two.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
We need to win a lottery.

That would help, but not required. There are 113 NHL players that would be the top scorer were they on the Coyotes. Most of them did not get drafted top 3.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That would help, but not required. There are 113 NHL players that would be the top scorer were they on the Coyotes. Most of them did not get drafted top 3.
Most teams considered legitimate contenders for the stanley a cup had the pleasure of winning a lottery or drafting 1st overall.

Pittsburgh. Washington. Winnipeg. Tampa. Toronto.

Nashville is an exception. So are Sharks.

Our best players haven’t been our best players. Right now our best players are Grabner and Richardson. Everyone else is not playing to their potential. That to me screams coaching.

Reactions: ck26

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Most teams considered legitimate contenders for the stanley a cup had the pleasure of winning a lottery or drafting 1st overall.

Pittsburgh. Washington. Winnipeg. Tampa. Toronto.

Nashville is an exception. So are Sharks.

Our best players haven’t been our best players. Right now our best players are Grabner and Richardson. Everyone else is not playing to their potential. That to me screams coaching.
I think the vets, or most of them are playing to their potential for most of the games, but the only problem none are first line players, so most are playing above their pay grade, so they look like they are not playing well when up against other teams better talent. I really think, right or wrong, the management thought they would get way more from Strome, Perlini and Fischer.

Reactions: ck26

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
IIRC there were/are concerns about Hayton's skating. Hopefully not Strome 2.0.
That was what ticked me off at the draft. That and I had zero idea they he would even be on the radar. Read his scouting reports and saw "slow" and reacted with an OMFG.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That was what ticked me off at the draft. That and I had zero idea they he would even be on the radar. Read his scouting reports and saw "slow" and reacted with an OMFG.
I don't think he's slow. He's certainly not a speedster. He has Stepan type speed.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Slow was maybe inaccurate...from the hockey writers, "His overall skating is fine. He does need to improve in his first 2-3 steps especially against competition at the next level".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad