Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Bust. He can't even win the 1C spot on his junior team.
How do you define #1C? Hayton is playing slightly more minutes than Frost, against the top lines, and is close to 2 p/g. I see them both as #1C imo.
Frost is a top player in the league and is a year older. Even if Hayton is playing behind him, there is no shame in that.
Hayton being back makes Frost better. Frost had 9 points in the first 7 names. He has had 15 point in the 6 games since Hayton returned. The team has 11 of 12 points since Hayton’s returned and wearing the C.
All that, and stats don’t tell half the story. I’m a huge Soo fan and season ticket holder for 5 years.
Respectfully I’d suggest you catch a few games live before you call anyone a bust.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
How do you define #1C? Hayton is playing slightly more minutes than Frost, against the top lines, and is close to 2 p/g. I see them both as #1C imo.
Frost is a top player in the league and is a year older. Even if Hayton is playing behind him, there is no shame in that.
Hayton being back makes Frost better. Frost had 9 points in the first 7 names. He has had 15 point in the 6 games since Hayton returned. The team has 11 of 12 points since Hayton’s returned and wearing the C.
All that, and stats don’t tell half the story. I’m a huge Soo fan and season ticket holder for 5 years.
Respectfully I’d suggest you catch a few games live before you call anyone a bust.

I'm not big on emojis but I'll use this one :sarcasm: next time.

Two pages back in this thread...

Is he first line center or is Frost?

Crosby and Malkin.

Reactions: Jagged Ice and MIG

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hayton with a goal and an assist last night. Goal was a snipe on PP after he received a stellar pass and then picked the corner.

It was the Kitchener Rangers feed last night and I was surprised how frequent the term "smart play" was used in reference to Hayton. Numerous times per period. So often that I noticed.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Hayton with a goal and an assist last night. Goal was a snipe on PP after he received a stellar pass and then picked the corner.

It was the Kitchener Rangers feed last night and I was surprised how frequent the term "smart play" was used in reference to Hayton. Numerous times per period. So often that I noticed.

It's very early of course but I hope my remarks on Hayton last month are sticking with some.

I think the problem is that the 2018 draft was... weird. There should have been a lot more hype and it feels like all the hype was for Dahlin and nobody knew what the hell anyone else would become.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hayton’s arrival has closely coincided with Frost taking off offensively. Not really a coincidence even if they only play together on the PP.

CHL teams are not that deep defensively. See Strome/McDavid.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's very early of course but I hope my remarks on Hayton last month are sticking with some.

I think the problem is that the 2019 draft was... weird. There should have been a lot more hype and it feels like all the hype was for Dahlin and nobody knew what the hell anyone else would become.
It's their job to know. I'm just a fan following draft eligible players in my spare time and I think I know. If their list isn't more accurate than mine then the franchise is sunk.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm starting to hate this pick less and less

It would be weird if a top 10 pick wasn't putting up 1.5-2.0 ppg, especially in his situation.

I am more looking forward to if/when he makes the WJC team and how important a role he ends up playing by the end of the tournament.

Reactions: CC96

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
It would be weird if a top 10 pick wasn't putting up 1.5-2.0 ppg, especially in his situation.

I am more looking forward to if/when he makes the WJC team and how important a role he ends up playing by the end of the tournament.

I'm not completely sold yet, just happy to see some positive momentum. And yeah I agree.

Reactions: CC96

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Succeeding Nick Cousins is on par with beating your 6 year old niece at Scrabble.

Having said that, Nick Cousins is one of only 713 people in the world on an active National Hockey League roster, and one of an even smaller number of those players making a million dollars or more a year in salary... so being another Nick Cousins doesn't seem so bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad