Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The only reason that play happens is the little things like forcing the turnover with his defense, getting the puck in the zone at the blue line, and lastly finishing.

Last edited:

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Corey Pronman: Prospects I was wrong about, the 2018 edition
Paywall article: Pronman: Prospects I was wrong about, the 2018 edition

Hayton was 2nd on his list regarding prospects he was wrong about, behind Pettersson.
Barrett Hayton, C, Arizona
Hayton was a fascinating prospect to follow his draft year. I wasn’t blown away by him initially. He looked like a smart two-way center without a ton of upside. I saw more offense the more I watched him. I thought he was very skilled but didn’t think it was top 5-10 pick skill. I also had concerns about his skating. And while the Soo were a deep team, his counting numbers were a mild concern too (although he got top power play time). I rated him as a low first/high second due to my concerns.
Since then it’s clear I got the evaluation wrong. Hayton has blown me away in nearly every viewing this season. His skill level is high-end, he’s a wonderful playmaker and he’s added a ton of pace to his game.
He shows he can gain the zone with speed and make a play

I don’t have him as a top-five pick now as Arizona did, but I’d have him in my 6-10 range among 2018 prospects. Arizona did its homework and saw a player with all the tools, even if he didn’t have jaw-dropping numbers and was buried in a deep lineup. I watched a ton of Hayton and saw that player in flashes, but I should have watched him even more and focused in more. He’s a center with decent size who is great at both ends with game-breaking skill and more than enough pace for the NHL. That’s a heck of a prospect.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
and Pronman is an idiot, so I don't put too much stock into what he says anyway...but obviously it is good news that Hayton is playing well enough to make some of his critics change tune. Still doesn't make him the best pick at that spot yet.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't think Pronman is an idiot. He makes his own assessments and builds lists off of what he sees. He does well at blocking out what the rest of the community is saying. I respect his work and the work of others like him (I'm thinking Button).

In a perfect world these guys would see all prospects play all games. They can't so there will be loads of bias and quick takes based on small samples. I'd rather hear about those assessments than simply reading a list that has been debated amongst a team of independent entry level scouts (I'm thinking ISS).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our drafting has gone from spam to caviar.

Although painful, the Maloney yard sale is something we had to swallow.

Don't blame DM for the NHL giving him no money to work with. Remember, we had no scouting dept. to speak of. Our team was run on a very limited budget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad