Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Barrett Hayton is back in the OHL, ready to be a leader with the Soo Greyhounds.<a href="Brad Coccimiglio (@bradcoccimiglio) | Twitter">@bradcoccimiglio</a> has more in his CHL Notebook.<a href="CHL Notebook: Barrett Hayton returns to Greyhounds ready to be a leader - Sportsnet.ca">CHL Notebook: Barrett Hayton returns to Greyhounds ready to be a leader - Sportsnet.ca</a></p>&mdash; Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) <a href="">October 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I mean, when the kid has scored as many goals in three games as our entire team has in four games, it makes a guy feel a little horny...I mean wistful...yeah, yeah I meant wistful. #norm

Cv393rt.gif

or in your terms

Pv4LKTT.gif

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Another goal for Tkachuk last night. Of course he got it by doing what we apparently can't - redirecting a shot from in front of the net. Damn, why did Ottawa have to take him one spot before us.

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Another goal for Tkachuk last night. Of course he got it by doing what we apparently can't - redirecting a shot from in front of the net. Damn, why did Ottawa have to take him one spot before us.
He is exactly the type of player we need.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That was my understanding. Most on this board wanted Zadina, and some thought Tkachuk was over rated. I think it was hbk who really liked Tkachuk.
Should never argue with @hbk - he’s always correct. Oddly, Tkachuk doing so well gives me hope for Hayton. Both were just completely statistically underwhelming. Neither had production that justified top five consideration. Both have started the season just absolutely on fire.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tkachuk also has 2 more points than Svechnikov in 2 fewer games. He's leading the 2018 draft class.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I have been impressed with Hayton as I pay more attention to him but I really wanted Tkachuk. Stupid Sens.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have been impressed with Hayton as I pay more attention to him but I really wanted Tkachuk. Stupid Sens.
I was really happy when Montreal took Kotkaniemi. I was ecstatic when Ottawa took Tkachuk. I had Zadina and Hughes basically tied for third overall and both were on the board sitting there for the taking.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I got the opposite feeling from the same quotes and videos. Haha.

I have this theory they don't want to go out, while virtually (or litterally) standing next to the prospect, and say "Yeah, you see who we ended up with. We really wanted one of the GOOD players. But we ended up with this future dud." So they don't talk so much about who they couldn't get. This means, when they know in advance they can't get this or that player, they don't talk so much about how much they want that player (they can't get.) .

Don't know if this theory is very groundbreaking. I didn't think so myself, but it may appear so, based on some of the comments here. :arr:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My theory is they think Hayton is a guy who could mature into a better version of Derek Stepan and we as an organization are bound and determined to have this position be an organizational strength instead of it being an absolute weakness (as it has been for well over a decade).

I don’t believe Az prioritized wingers as they believe these are readily available in free agency and trade. I think we are satisfied with our D right now given age of both OEL and Chychrun. C was definite a priority need at the time of the draft.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It was definitely inferred that their plans changed when Tkachuk was picked.

I got the same impression. The feeling I got from the available video/comments was that Chayka was hoping Tkachuk would last until our pick, but that he had Hayton's jersey stacked and ready to go as his go-to pick.

I don't think he was even considering Zadina.

Reactions: Jakey53 and hbk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad