5 Jets Have Filed for Salary Arbitration

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
He's stupid if he thinks Vegas will be better for the next few seasons just because they knocked off the Jets in one playoff series.
Doubt that is the sole reason he would think Vegas is on par with Winnipeg results wise for the next three seasons.

Equal footing for a championship paired with the advantages signing there has and that is most likely why he isn't a Jet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Doubt that is the sole reason he would think Vegas is on par with Winnipeg results wise for the next three seasons.

Equal footing for a championship paired with the advantages signing there has and that is most likely why he isn't a Jet.
He's wrong if he thinks they'll be on an equal footing for a championship. I agree that more money and perhaps other considerations played a big part too.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He's wrong if he thinks they'll be on an equal footing for a championship. I agree that more money and perhaps other considerations played a big part too.

There seems to be this recurring opinion here that Vegas had a fluke season and they will return to their rightful level of expansion mediocrity now. Maybe the Jets were the ones that had a fluke season. Maybe Stastny got a good feel for this teams true potential in the time he had here. Maybe he saw something in the culture here he didn't like, something that will hold this team back. I've long suspected that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark, and no, that isn't a shot at Ehlers. :laugh:

Reactions: Board Bard

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We don't really have a cap situation if Trouba is gone.

With Trouba out and Sergechev + Callahan in we have 4,697,586 in cap space right now with Helle at $6, and Morrissey at $5.5 and Lowry at $2.5

If we buyout Callahan we have $7,830,919 in cap space. Then we likely will have to move Perreault next season which gets us to $11,955,919. Then we would have to figure out what to do with Wheeler and Myers. As both of them come off the books which gives us $23,055,919 (not factoring in any rise in cap yet though) to sign Laine, Connor, Copp with. We could easily bring both Wheels/Myers back but it would intefere at that point with giving Sergechev a raise. Plus at that time you have a better idea where guys like Niku, Veslainen, Appleton and Lemeiux fit into the picture.

The first year of Callahan is easily handled - without Trouba. The second is a little harder. It then becomes a choice between a buyout and letting someone else go, like Myers or Perreault. With Trouba but without Callahan those same 2 pretty much had to go anyway. With Callahan but without Trouba one can probably stay and possibly both with a buyout. A buyout of the last year would = 1.575 mil each year x2, by my calc. CF buyout calculator only works from current year so number may not be exact, but its close. Without Trouba's cap hit we should be able to handle that buyout but maybe Sergachev's next contract makes that tough. It really isn't that much though. BTW, Serge has some bonuses. His cap hit is 1.744 right now.

Aside: Cal Foote's ELC has not kicked in yet. He has fewer bonuses so his initial cap hit is 1.425, FWIW. That additional 1-2 years of ELC time could be big.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The first year of Callahan is easily handled - without Trouba. The second is a little harder. It then becomes a choice between a buyout and letting someone else go, like Myers or Perreault. With Trouba but without Callahan those same 2 pretty much had to go anyway. With Callahan but without Trouba one can probably stay and possibly both with a buyout. A buyout of the last year would = 1.575 mil each year x2, by my calc. CF buyout calculator only works from current year so number may not be exact, but its close. Without Trouba's cap hit we should be able to handle that buyout but maybe Sergachev's next contract makes that tough. It really isn't that much though. BTW, Serge has some bonuses. His cap hit is 1.744 right now.

Aside: Cal Foote's ELC has not kicked in yet. He has fewer bonuses so his initial cap hit is 1.425, FWIW. That additional 1-2 years of ELC time could be big.

It would amazing if we could somehow get both. Depends on how badly Yzerman wants to win now and how he would value Trouba. Foote likely needs a year in the AHL and I'd keep him down there for the entire season. He already plays a pro style game but I think it will help with his development.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
There seems to be this recurring opinion here that Vegas had a fluke season and they will return to their rightful level of expansion mediocrity now. Maybe the Jets were the ones that had a fluke season. Maybe Stastny got a good feel for this teams true potential in the time he had here. Maybe he saw something in the culture here he didn't like, something that will hold this team back. I've long suspected that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark, and no, that isn't a shot at Ehlers. :laugh:
Why then did someone who thought like that negotiate till Sunday nite the night 4 free agency. Seems he would have let the jets know he wasn't interested at the exit meetings.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It would amazing if we could somehow get both. Depends on how badly Yzerman wants to win now and how he would value Trouba. Foote likely needs a year in the AHL and I'd keep him down there for the entire season. He already plays a pro style game but I think it will help with his development.

I think we would need to make a significant add to get both - but we can dream. :laugh:

Another thing with Foote - his perceived value is less, so by taking Callahan with him we could get a nice add. One of those 4 you named and maybe a 1st too.

Just a guess but I think that with his big body, Foote could be ready this year. I would not rush him though. One year of Buff, Myers, Poolman before easing him in would be just fine, thanks. He might get some injury call-up time.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think we would need to make a significant add to get both - but we can dream. :laugh:

Another thing with Foote - his perceived value is less, so by taking Callahan with him we could get a nice add. One of those 4 you named and maybe a 1st too.

Just a guess but I think that with his big body, Foote could be ready this year. I would not rush him though. One year of Buff, Myers, Poolman before easing him in would be just fine, thanks. He might get some injury call-up time.

I think a 1st has to be included just for taking Callahan alone and having to buy him out. He is a 4th liner/depth guy on a 2nd/3rd liners contract.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's stupid if he thinks Vegas will be better for the next few seasons just because they knocked off the Jets in one playoff series.

Did he not say pretty much that though? He was impressed with them and the way they played. He may have been a little too close to the action to make a good judgement. Doesn't make him stupid. Just wrong. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think a 1st has to be included just for taking Callahan alone and having to buy him out. He is a 4th liner/depth guy on a 2nd/3rd liners contract.

Actually, I'm not sure Cally is even a 4th liner anymore. By his stats, he looks done. He will be worse next year more likely than better.

So Foote +(good +) for Trouba. A 1st for Callahan.

As you said earlier, it will depend on how Yzerman sees Trouba contributing to 'win now'. I think he would see it as a pretty significant step. He has a lot of assets available to sweeten the deal with.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Actually, I'm not sure Cally is even a 4th liner anymore. By his stats, he looks done. He will be worse next year more likely than better.

So Foote +(good +) for Trouba. A 1st for Callahan.

As you said earlier, it will depend on how Yzerman sees Trouba contributing to 'win now'. I think he would see it as a pretty significant step. He has a lot of assets available to sweeten the deal with.

Cirelli is one I like. Played 3c for them towards the end of the year, might be to much for them to give up. He's a high energy center, great all around player, very good defensively and kills penalties.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Factor in the loss a very good 2C from the Jets and added to Vegas I don't see how you can be so sure.

Vegas isn't done with their roster as I mentioned before, that also has to be considered imo.

The Jets believed a strong 2C was their most glaring need at the trade deadline for the playoff run, can't see how that is any less at this point. The lack thereof is a big void for the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Factor in the loss a very good 2C from the Jets and added to Vegas I don't see how you can be so sure.

Vegas isn't done with their roster as I mentioned before, that also has to be considered imo.

The Jets believed a strong 2C was their most glaring need at the trade deadline for the playoff run, can't see how that is any less at this point. The lack thereof is a big void for the Jets.
Still think Vegas had a number of players playing over their heads. They'll be good, but not as good, in my view.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Callahan has a no trade clause. More likely that we take Stralman and perhaps add a young F like Dano or Petan.

It's a 16 team trade to list. So basically a 15 team no trade list. Hard to say if we are on it or not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Cirelli is one I like. Played 3c for them towards the end of the year, might be to much for them to give up. He's a high energy center, great all around player, very good defensively and kills penalties.

Well when you break it down to the 1st for Cally you need a pretty good package for Trouba. Foote is very promising but is still only a prospect. He hasn't played a pro game yet. So I think the add has to be very good.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well when you break it down to the 1st for Cally you need a pretty good package for Trouba. Foote is very promising but is still only a prospect. He hasn't played a pro game yet. So I think the add has to be very good.

I'm still not sure that Sergachev isn't the best option going forward. Foote is another season at the very least from turning pro.

When you look at their 5v5 P/60 Sergachev has done more with his limited icetime. Although quality of competition is a factor, he is tracking ahead of Trouba at 19 years old. He literraly just turned 20 two weeks ago. Plus he is a better skater, better puck mover and a better PP QB.

The more and more I look into the more Sergachev makes the most sense if we want to be good right now.

A Tampa fan made me aware that their 1st for 2019 is tied up in the McDonaugh deal so we likely have to target one of their prospects anyways for the cap dump, which is actually better for us as they would be closer to the NHL then anyone we could get in the late 1st at next years draft.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Vegas had a fluke season. If they slide back it won't be to typical expansion team status though. They should have been a bubble team. Maybe MAF is enough of a boost to get them off the bubble and into a WC spot. But 14 of their 16 top players by scoring had career seasons. That is an incredible fact. If a team has 3-4 of those in one season they overachieve. 14 is an unbelievable number, but it is true.

Why would you suspect something rotten in the Jets chemistry? What evidence is there?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm still not sure that Sergachev isn't the best option going forward. Foote is another season at the very least from turning pro.

When you look at their 5v5 P/60 Sergachev has done more with his limited icetime. Although quality of competition is a factor, he is tracking ahead of Trouba at 19 years old. He literraly just turned 20 two weeks ago. Plus he is a better skater, better puck mover and a better PP QB.

The more and more I look into the more Sergachev makes the most sense if we want to be good right now.

A Tampa fan made me aware that their 1st for 2019 is tied up in the McDonaugh deal so we likely have to target one of their prospects anyways for the cap dump, which is actually better for us as they would be closer to the NHL then anyone we could get in the late 1st at next years draft.

It isn't that I don't like Sergachev. It is just the opposite. He will be harder to get. I'd love to have him.

There are some secondary factors in Foote's favour - but they are secondary. You point to him being another year away. That is both good and bad. It fits with Myers' contract expiring. It means it will be a year longer before his ELC expires. Actually I'm not sure if he would slide in the A next year. I think he would. He doesn't turn 20 until Dec and signed as a 19 YO. I think that means he would slide. We get add(s) with him. With Sergachev, we have to take Callahan and there is no add (IMO), just him and Cally for Trouba.

No cap advantage that way either. Instead of paying Trouba, we pay Cally and Serge for 2 years. Then Cally is gone and Serge gets a big raise.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
He waived his NMC to be traded to Wpg. Doesn't mean he likes Winnipeg more than Vegas + $3-4M extra.

Right, and after experiencing Winnipeg it wasn’t enticing enough for him to stay like you said it would for the long list of other players. Also if anything, winnipeg offered him more $

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It isn't that I don't like Sergachev. It is just the opposite. He will be harder to get. I'd love to have him.

There are some secondary factors in Foote's favour - but they are secondary. You point to him being another year away. That is both good and bad. It fits with Myers' contract expiring. It means it will be a year longer before his ELC expires. Actually I'm not sure if he would slide in the A next year. I think he would. He doesn't turn 20 until Dec and signed as a 19 YO. I think that means he would slide. We get add(s) with him. With Sergachev, we have to take Callahan and there is no add (IMO), just him and Cally for Trouba.

No cap advantage that way either. Instead of paying Trouba, we pay Cally and Serge for 2 years. Then Cally is gone and Serge gets a big raise.

We would need get something extra for taking Cally. There's no way we take on Cally as an extra, the value shoots massively in Tampa's favour then. We then buy him out, which I will admit the Jets are averse too. It gives us the cap room to sign Helle, Morrissey, Laine and Connor long term though. We can't have their 1st rounder as it's tied up in the McDonagh deal, so we target one of their high end C prospects.

After that we would have to make a decision between Wheeler, Myers and Perreault. My guess is Perreault and Myers are moved and we try to sign Wheeler. No idea what kind of contract we would be looking at there. Perreault and Myers are likely gone either way though.

We would likely need to bridge Sergachev and possibly Roslovic rather then pay them long term money in order to keep everyone else but it's doable. We do have Kulikov coming off the books at that point + whatever raise in the cap we get over those two years.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He waived his NMC to be traded to Wpg. Doesn't mean he likes Winnipeg more than Vegas + $3-4M extra.

This will be a blessing in disguise for the Winnipeg Jets. This is like when we didn't sign Ladd to an extension. I think Stastny will be good in Vegas, but I doubt Vegas makes another cup final appearance. We also have more money to spend on more firepower going forward. Plus our forwards are going to be more experienced going forward after our amazing run.

Call me crazy on this, but I think Scheifele has potential to be a much better captain than Wheeler. Nonetheless, both are amazing captains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad