5 Jets Have Filed for Salary Arbitration

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Both team and player would rather reach an agreement than have one forced upon them, so it's not surprising the lack of cases that make it to fruition.

Trouba is obviously the most troubling of the bunch. His hold out last time implies there may be some issues with signing herevlong term. Take two arbitration settlements then he's a UFA.

Not only that, but arbitration hearings are so uncomfortable for the players, because you're basically sitting there listening to GMs tear you down. One player was famously reduced to tears during one of his, but I cam't remember who it was.

Anyways, I see the arbitration as a good thing, because it means they are interested in signing long-term, and they don't have the threat of offer sheets hanging over their head.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The market price is set for Truba... We will soon find out how open he is to staying with the Jets.......He can either be part of our core or we can move on with plan B.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I really want us to trade Trouba+ for Erik Karlsson if there can't be anything worked out with the Jets are Karlsson is still available.
Hellebuyck to a $6M AAV for 6 years.
Lowry could get a lot from another team, and the Jets shouldn't match depending on how much money is being put on the table or what the possible outcome of it would be.
I think we could get Tanev at a good price.
Dano would be interesting, I can't blame him if he leaves.
Could/would we likely give Armia an offer sheet?

Reactions: thegr8one66

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
If Trouba really doesn't want to be here, if I'm the Jets I elect a 2 year award taking him to UFA. You know it's going there anyway with 2 - 1 year awards but this season you could hammer him in the hearing about his durability saying he's never played a full 82 games and in 4 of his 5 NHL seasons he's missed at least 20% of the games. (granted 2 years ago was due to a holdout).

You might be able to get a value contract for 2 years and potentially increase his trade value for after next season when you trade him. The new team can sign an extension July 1st, 2019 and it would be the same as trading him with one year of arbitration left, except you'd have already done the acquiring team a favour by locking in a lower than market salary. Maybe he only gets 2 by $4 or something like that instead of $6+ on a long term deal.

Hopefully he signs long term and none of this matters. I'm glad he elected arbitration so at least we'll find out what his true intentions are by the start of next season. No hold out, no offer sheet, etc. He'll either be locked up long term as a cornerstone of the team or he'll be on his way out of town and we can start looking at RHD prospects.

That would not increase his trade value. Either way he could be gone after two years. I would argue it would decrease his trade value as you don't get to talk extension with him as a RFA, just an UFA.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Trouba really doesn't want to be here, if I'm the Jets I elect a 2 year award taking him to UFA. You know it's going there anyway with 2 - 1 year awards but this season you could hammer him in the hearing about his durability saying he's never played a full 82 games and in 4 of his 5 NHL seasons he's missed at least 20% of the games. (granted 2 years ago was due to a holdout).

You might be able to get a value contract for 2 years and potentially increase his trade value for after next season when you trade him. The new team can sign an extension July 1st, 2019 and it would be the same as trading him with one year of arbitration left, except you'd have already done the acquiring team a favour by locking in a lower than market salary. Maybe he only gets 2 by $4 or something like that instead of $6+ on a long term deal.

Hopefully he signs long term and none of this matters. I'm glad he elected arbitration so at least we'll find out what his true intentions are by the start of next season. No hold out, no offer sheet, etc. He'll either be locked up long term as a cornerstone of the team or he'll be on his way out of town and we can start looking at RHD prospects.

A 1 year award leaves the acquiring team in a better position to sign him long term. there is no existing contract in the way. If he isn't traded until Nov, he can still be extended immediately without waiting till July 1.

A 1 year award gives him the minimum of security in the event of a career altering injury. Why guarantee him another year's income if you don't have to?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Agree. I think that if Trouba doesn't sign long term before arbitration, it's only a matter of time before he's traded.
Thanks to all of you.
I feel the same way Whilee..for Trouba it feels like now or never

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I really want us to trade Trouba+ for Erik Karlsson if there can't be anything worked out with the Jets are Karlsson is still available.
Lowry could get a lot from another team, and the Jets shouldn't match depending on how much money is being put on the table or what the possible outcome of it would be.
Jets aren't even in the conversation for Karlsson. He wouldn't sign here long term, anyway.

Lowry can't receive an offer sheet from another team because he's files for arbitration.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
A 1 year award leaves the acquiring team in a better position to sign him long term. there is no existing contract in the way. If he isn't traded until Nov, he can still be extended immediately without waiting till July 1.

A 1 year award gives him the minimum of security in the event of a career altering injury. Why guarantee him another year's income if you don't have to?

Players on 1 year contracts can only be extended following Jan 1.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nothing to worry about here, no news. Chevy warned us all that some players would be filling for arbitration.....not an issue or surprise. Just waiting now for news of signings or trades. Bring on training camp........screw summer.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Jets aren't even in the conversation for Karlsson. He wouldn't sign here long term, anyway.

Lowry can't receive an offer sheet from another team because he's files for arbitration.

I'm not sure why people think Karlsson wouldn't sign here long term

Reactions: thegr8one66

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I read somewhere he didn't even want to extend in Dallas or Vegas, that TB was only place he'd extend. Can't remember if that was here or on main board.

It's been in the media as well. Friedman, Lebrun, Dreger - one of or a combination of them.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

6 mil is a lot for a goalie
especially for a goalie who had one good season and ended it looking not so great

I would rather trade trouba and try to get Karlsson too
we'd be significantly better and I don't think trouba will ever come close to being so good as him

trouba is a 7 mil defense player at best

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Why are some here suggesting we trade Trouba for EK? We’ll have traded away our top pairing RHD for 1 year of EK, who will probably head into free agency the following year and get the money he wants elsewhere that we cant give him in the first place, especially since we’ll have to sign Laine and Connor next year. Its a terrible idea.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't want EK's price tag.
Trouba will sign before arbitration for 5 years for somewhere near 7m.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
With EK we are looking at losing more than just Trouba if he comes with an extension, which is the only way I'd acquire him. But man would our defence be beastly. We'd move from a contender to a favourite instantly. It would have some ripple effects throughout our lineup though as we would likely have to move on from some depth to keep him.

Morrissey - EK would be a beastly pairing.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Why is everyone suggesting we trade Trouba for EK? We’ll have traded away our top pairing RHD for 1 year of EK, who will probably head into free agency the following year and get the money he wants elsewhere that we cant give him in the first place, especially since we’ll have to sign Laine and Connor next year. Its a terrible idea.

I would not trade Trouba for less than a young top 4 defenseman and a high draft pick..... I know we would not get a top pairing guy but he better be a very solid 2nd pairing player.

I want nothing to do with an 11 million dollar ageing defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad