5 Jets Have Filed for Salary Arbitration

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Not surprising that many of the RFA Jets have filed today. What's interesting is who hasn't filed.
I don't believe Morrisey or Petan have filed. Why is that? Discuss.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Why don't you believe that Morrissey and Petan had filed salary arbitration?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Poolman is the only one with arbitration rights that didn't file, I believe.

Not sure what the situation is with Lipon and Kerdiles. I think they have arbitration rights.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Poolman is the only one with arbitration rights that didn't file, I believe.

Not sure what the situation is with Lipon and Kerdiles. I think they have arbitration rights.

They do. Career minor leaguers almost never file. I honestly can't recall a time a guy like Lipon has filed, they would likely get less than their QO. It's just not a thing they do.

Only one I am surprised filed is Dano. Means he is interested (for some reason) in continuing to play with the Jets. I'm guessing he is counting on his strong advanced stats to get too much for the Jets liking and forcing a move out of town. Which wouldn't be hard, anything awarded over a million and I think they move him. He needs a place where he could get into the top 9 to showcase his offense. He still has 40-50 point upside.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They do. Career minor leaguers almost never file. I honestly can't recall a time a guy like Lipon has filed, they would likely get less than their QO. It's just not a thing they do.

Only one I am surprised filed is Dano. Means he is interested (for some reason) in continuing to play with the Jets. I'm guessing he is counting on his strong advanced stats to get too much for the Jets liking and forcing a move out of town. Which wouldn't be hard, anything awarded over a million and I think they move him. He needs a place where he could get into the top 9 to showcase his offense. He still has 40-50 point upside.
Armia's trade gives him a bit more opportunity on RW. His main competition might be Tanev. I think that if he comes to camp in top condition, he could get a roster spot. His offseason conditioning is key, because Maurice is focused on that, perhaps to excess. I watched a number of training camp sessions last year when they did the fitness testing, and he struggled near the bottom of forwards in conditioning drills and tests.

I really hope he has a comeback season.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

So, by filing Dano is indicating an interest to stay with the Jets, yet in your next sentence you say he is counting on arbitration to award him so much money the Jets have to trade him.

Reactions: FFHockey

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary

I'm honestly not too surprised.

He has a good relationship with management despite not playing it seems, as well as the players. On social media he's posted stuff often of him supporting the Jets when he's not playing.

Not to mention not only one, but possibly 2 RW positions have opened up. Armia, obviously, but the loss of Stastny means Roslovic very well could get a good long look at center, so plenty of space has opened up behind Wheeler and Laine/Ehlers.

Despite his questionable decision making at times, PoMo isnt stupid. He knows what Dano can bring, but it just didn't seem to fit what he wanted on the 4th line (matchup line) and Roslo had him beat at the 3RW spot, deservedly so.

Barring any trades, I think one of Petan or Dano will be playing with the Jets full time next season.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

Do you think he could be getting Armia's spot on the starting roster in the fall?

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Is there a chance arbitration backfires? That they get less money than they or their agent were hoping for?

If there is a chance, is it a likely scenario?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is there a chance arbitration backfires? That they get less money than they or their agent were hoping for?

If there is a chance, is it a likely scenario?

Only 1 person last year went throigh the process. I highly doubt any of put a even get to the hearing. But yes there is always the chance the arbitrator aides with the team and the player get a lower deal.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Only 1 person last year went throigh the process. I highly doubt any of put a even get to the hearing. But yes there is always the chance the arbitrator aides with the team and the player get a lower deal.

Thanks!
Does arbitration tend to favour the team or the player more?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how good or bad this is haha

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thanks!

Thanks!

In the past I think it definitely favored the players. Now I think more analytics are allowed so I think it's anyone's guess. That and there have been far too few cases go through to get an idea.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
All I know is what ever they settle for...

Very low salary big bonuses...

Lock out...

Here we come...

Last edited by a moderator:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Unlike in Baseball the arbitrator does not have to "side" with either side. This is why NHL "asks" tend to be very far apart since they know it's not hugely relevant, unlike baseball which the arbitrator must select one number or the other. Both team and player submit a number but the arbitrator may select ANY number, including higher than that player ask, or lower than the team ask.

It's an inherently unpredictable situation which is why neither side likes it. So yes I agree that it's unlikely get to a hearing.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So if it's unlikely to get a hearing, is it more of a negotiating ploy?

Apparently 43 NHL players filed for arbitration

Basically it gives both the teams and player a "drop dead" date. It sets a clock on the negotiations. This can help spur on contract talks. Last year 30 players filed. Only 3 hearings were conducted, 27 signed before hearing (most just before hearings). Of those 3 hearings, 2 signed contracts before the arbitration was awarded. Only 1 player signed an arbitration contract of the 30.

Of note, arbitration can be a grueling process for both sides. It quite often ends any chance of the player signing longterm. Just imagine having a hearing on your salary, where your boss, bosses boss, etc sit in a room in front of a stranger and attack your performance for much of a day to lower your salary. Gotta imagine that would not be pleasant. Most players that end up signing arbitration contracts move on inside of two years of the arbitration.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
So can someone shed light on the Trouba arbitration nuisances? If he filed the jets get to pick the number of years? 1 or 2 before he can go UFA? If they had filed he'd get to pick either 1 or 2 years before UFA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad