5 Jets Have Filed for Salary Arbitration

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Hainsey is a Stanley Cup vet, too. How is that even relevant? Trouba has produced more than Buff per minute, except on the PP and has been a much better penalty killer. Trouba's agent would raise those issues.

I meant that doesn’t the arbitrator look for comparables, ie players of roughly the same age in a similar situation and utilization? Buff would hardly be considered a comparable by the arbitrators.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Yeh but in Cali you get the climate and atmosphere and in NY you get the appeal of the Big City and being rich in it...Don't get me wrong I'm sure I'd still love being rich in Winnipeg but even born, raised, and love it here me would still wanna move to Cali instead even if it meant an extra 10% on my pay cheque!

In a 5 year contract you are working in your NHL city for about 4% of your life if you live to a median age. It's not such a big deal to choose one city over another to play in. You can get climate and atmosphere out of the other 96% of your life with a ridiculous amount of money making more money for you.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In a 5 year contract you are working in your NHL city for about 4% of your life if you live to a median age. It's not such a big deal to choose one city over another to play in. You can get climate and atmosphere out of the other 96% of your life with a ridiculous amount of money making more money for you.
...and having your name on the Stanley Cup is forever.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016

If you had job offers for the same job in multiple different cities, you wouldn’t factor lifestyle in at all?

Really? I think that’s absurd. These guys look at lifestyle, personal opportunity, opportunity to win, money, organizational structure/coaching/management. Different guys value these things differently, but they’re all factored in....

5 years is 1/5 of your life when you’re 25. Dont minimize the length of 5 years when the average career is less than 10.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Sure, if Winnipeg was the only place with that job. Clearly that isn’t the case.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Using the Capfriendly calculator and the google calculator to convert USD to CAD:

Kucherov in TBL takes home 5.325M USD. If that same contact was in WPG, he'd take hom 4.360 USD, but converted it becomes 5.754M CAD.

I know it's not the same and US prices are typically cheaper but there's still an advantage for WPG over say SJS (minus the terrible climate here in the winter lol)

The big difference in cost of living will be housing. How many millions of US $ will a house that cost 500k in Wpg be in San Jose?

Coming up with a truly balanced cap would be incredibly complex - just to get close, let alone really equal. Besides state v provincial income taxes you need to look at Federal taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, utility rates, housing costs, etc, etc.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What about provincial/state taxes on their purchases? Property tax? Education tax? Hell just the cost of living in terms of real estate or food or entertainment? Why not add those in as well?

It's absolutely ridiculous to look at just provincial/state/national taxes. It makes no sense, "eliminating" those does not even close to "evening the playing field". This is not how things work.

Not too mention it's a FUNDAMENTAL misunderstanding of the purpose of the cap. The purpose of the cap is not and has never been to "level the playing field" or "parity". The idea is to control the portion of the pie the players get to a certain amount of the NHL revenue (cost certainty). So the owners know they are only paying the players a certain percentage of the total revenue each year. Nothing in their talks about making it even or fair in terms of buying talent since that is not a goal of the cap system.

I think you overstate it just a bit. Cost certainty is the primary purpose. Parity is secondary, but it is part of the reason. But cost certainty is by far the more important factor.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm completely baffled by this article. Not the content, but why the hell it's in the Regina Leader-Post. :laugh:

Wpg Sun and Regina Leader Post are both owned by Postmedia. All newspapers are cutting reporting staff and sharing content. The same article is probably in the Sun.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah he certainly is, but there’s not much time between the hearings to finalize things.

I’m a bit surprised Lowry hasn’t been signed yet, so I wonder if there’s a realistic possibility it goes to arbitration? (I believe Trouba’s case will go to a hearing).

There is no inherent requirement for a lot of time to finalize these things. The time is all about waiting for the other side to blink.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Tanev's ask would be a very interesting one to hear.

How much would you pay for lightning quick feet, an amazing ability to draw penalties and great shot suppression numbers for a winger who basically doesn't do much of note aside from the things I listed?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Tanev's ask would be a very interesting one to hear.

How much would you pay for lightning quick feet, an amazing ability to draw penalties and great shot suppression numbers for a winger who basically doesn't do much of note aside from the things I listed?

Sounds like you just described Ehlers (except the last part). Oh snap.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
With Lowry signing, the Jets have $61.036M committed to 17 roster players.

To sign their remaining six roster players (Petan, Tanev, Dano, Poolman, Morrissey, Trouba), the Jets have $18.464M cap space, or $14.751M if all possible performance bonuses ($3.713M) are accounted for.

Assuming an average cap hit of $900k per player for Petan, Tanev, Dano, and Poolman, the space to sign Morrissey and Trouba is $14.864M without accounting for bonuses, $11.151M accounting for max bonuses.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
With Lowry signing, the Jets have $61.036M committed to 17 roster players.

To sign their remaining six roster players (Petan, Tanev, Dano, Poolman, Morrissey, Trouba), the Jets have $18.464M cap space, or $14.751M if all possible performance bonuses ($3.713M) are accounted for.

Assuming an average cap hit of $900k per player for Petan, Tanev, Dano, and Poolman, the space to sign Morrissey and Trouba is $14.864M without accounting for bonuses, $11.151M accounting for max bonuses.
You think those 4 will have that average cap hit? I think it will be lower and then:
6.25 for Trouba
5.25 for Jmo

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
You think those 4 will have that average cap hit? I think it will be lower and then:
6.25 for Trouba
5.25 for Jmo

Haven't you seen how everybody expects Chevy to overpay Tanev?
1.5 + 0.7 + 0.7 + 0.7 = 3.6 = 0.9 * 4
;)

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
And Trouba will point at Buff's 7.6m and ask Chevy to justify why he shouldn't get at least 85-90% of that...

Average playing 75 games a season at 25 minutes per game for 5-6 seasons and he can talk Byfuglien money. Not even in the ballpark today. The only way he gets close is a hedge on what he might be in the future buying UFA seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad