5 Jets Have Filed for Salary Arbitration

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. Nearly 100% of all trades suggested from respected members of the media have ever occurred, let alone from fans.

Here on these boards it's all fantasy & fiction. At best it serves to get an understanding of a players value.

:laugh: The bold is not the same as what I first read. I suspect it is still not quite what you meant to say.

Near 100% fantasy from fans.
Something like 97% fantasy from the media? 90%+ at least. :laugh: Of course, you specified respected members of the media so their % is better. How much better depends on your list of 'respected members of the media'.

The only one with a higher fantasy % than the fans is Eklund. :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd rather re-sign Trouba,
5 x 7m is what I say he ends up signing for.
Pretty cheap when you consider he has played the last two years for 3m per year. 35 + 6 = 41m for 7 years.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I'd rather re-sign Trouba,
5 x 7m is what I say he ends up signing for.
Pretty cheap when you consider he has played the last two years for 3m per year. 35 + 6 = 41m for 7 years.
Let him go to arbitration and get awarded 1x4.5-5.
Sign a 4x6 then move on if he wants security or force him to find out what he is really worth by going to arbitration. There is enough comparible out there he is not worth anything near 7 million.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chevy does not want to go to arbitration...neither does Trouba but you don't want to sign Trouba to a one or two year contract right now. He only has two seasons left as a RFA so I would lock him up now for at least 5 years. I would sign him for longer but I don't think he will sign a longer deal.
What do I know.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't pay much attention to other teams signings but how is Tampa signing all these big contracts?

The two big deals they signed this summer don't kick in until the 2019-20 season. They will have to find a way to dump 7.5 million prior to that season though.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't pay much attention to other teams signings but how is Tampa signing all these big contracts?

It seems outrageous but really they can afford quite a bit next year. They have 3 big ticket defensemen coming off the books next year. Assuming they re-sign Dotchin, Koekkoek, Erne and Paquette for 1 mill or so next year and ditch Callahan they will have 15 players signed with about 15.5 million in open room next year. Point will be the only significant RFA. They will be losing Stralman, Coburn, Girardi, Gourde next year to UFA. But maybe could even keep one or two of them with 8 spots for 15.5 million left over (if the cap doesn't rise as well). They actually have more room than they need going forward, which is how they might even afford Karlsson.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Tampa is going for it this year. They will either look to trade someone next year or possible wait to lose someone at expansion or get a buy out that won't cost them salary cap space. I would guess they probably trade Johnson and/or Killorn next year if they need to. They have options on defense in a year as well, with Masin and Foote in the minors. They also have a lot of young depth forwards as well in the minors.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

They along with I think 4 other teams have the least amount of taxes in the league. That 9.5 mil is pretty close to 12 in Toronto who, along with the Sens, have the highest tax rate in the league.
Cap friendly has a tax calculator that shows it. I think the Jets are 23rd in pay after taxes.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Per TSN:

Jacob Trouba - July 20th
Adam Lowry - July 22nd
Brandon Tanev - July 25th
Marko Dano - July 30th

I bet Chevy can't wait 'til August!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Per TSN:

Jacob Trouba - July 20th
Adam Lowry - July 22nd
Marko Dano - July 30th

:popcorn:

So, we'll likely know Trouba's fate with the Jets within a week or so, and Lowry's soon after.

I'm glad Trouba is scheduled soon, so that the inane speculation (especially on the main board) can end.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Per TSN:

Jacob Trouba - July 20th
Adam Lowry - July 22nd
Marko Dano - July 30th

Excellent. Maybe Trouba is settled this week or early next.

Once you have Helle and Trouba done, you have a good idea what you left have for others. Including Wheeler, Laine and Connor extensions.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Heading for arbitration? Four Jets left to sort things out

Winnipeg Jets history of arbitration cases.. Did they sign prior to the arbitration hearing?

2011/12 - Wheeler (prior)
2012/13 - none
2013/14 - Wheeler (prior), Little (prior), Bogosian (prior), Postma (prior), Tangradi (prior)
2014/15 - Frolik (prior)
2015/16 - none
2016/17 - none
2017/18 - Helly (prior)

So, no Jet, has every actually had the arbitration hearing.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Heading for arbitration? Four Jets left to sort things out

Winnipeg Jets history of arbitration cases.. Did they sign prior to the arbitration hearing?

2011/12 - Wheeler (19 days prior)
2012/13 - none
2013/14 - Wheeler (3 days prior), Little (2 days prior), Bogosian (4 days prior), Postma (12 days prior), Tangradi (5 days prior)
2014/15 - Frolik (2 days prior - pre-arbitration 1 year settlement)
2015/16 - none
2016/17 - none
2017/18 - Helly (prior)

So, no Jet, has every actually had the arbitration hearing.

Further more, added in how many days they signed in advance of the arbitration hearing.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
They along with I think 4 other teams have the least amount of taxes in the league. That 9.5 mil is pretty close to 12 in Toronto who, along with the Sens, have the highest tax rate in the league.
Cap friendly has a tax calculator that shows it. I think the Jets are 23rd in pay after taxes.

That calculator is cool! The difference between Tampa and Toronto is 14% it says, so 9.5 in Tampa would be 10.9 in Toronto fyi

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It would be interesting to know if Chevy has a definitive "order" in which he wants to sign the remaining players. Does he want to sign Trouba first so he knows how much he has remaining for others, or is it just that he has offers on the table to all players and is negotiating them irrespective of each other?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It would be interesting to know if Chevy has a definitive "order" in which he wants to sign the remaining players. Does he want to sign Trouba first so he knows how much he has remaining for others, or is it just that he has offers on the table to all players and is negotiating them irrespective of each other?
I think the schedule of arbitration hearings will play an important part. Agents probably think they can get their best deal right on the cusp of an arbitration hearing, so it makes sense to wait. That said, I think only Trouba and Lowry are going to be tough to finalize among the arbitration cases. I think Morrissey will likely wait until after those are done.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think his question was to do with fitting these players under the cap. Taxes has nothing to do with it.
Seeing as Florida has no state income tax, it very much does. They are able to lock up their players for less, for they don't have to pay as much taxes.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I think his question was to do with fitting these players under the cap. Taxes has nothing to do with it.

Sure it does. It makes a huge difference when a player needs 10 million cap dollars to take home 7 million real dollars vs 12 million cap dollars to make that same million in other markets.

Reactions: Jimmyjets

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Sure it does. It makes a huge difference when a player needs 10 million cap dollars to take home 7 million real dollars vs 12 million cap dollars to make that same million in other markets.

The Kucherov deal broke the camels back for me. In the next CBA they better add a tax equalization formula so that all teams are actually competing on the same playing field. Non-tax states like Florida, Tennesse, Las Vegas and Dallas have an enormous advantage that gets greater as the salary cap continues to rise.

On a $79,500,000 cap teams like Tampa Bay give out an extra $8,745,000 in take home pay compared to the Jets. Or put another way, Nashville's salary cap is $88,245,000 while the Jets salary cap is $79,500,000. The 11% difference is real and easily solved to level the playing field. Just count after tax value of the contract against the cap.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
The Kucherov deal broke the camels back for me. In the next CBA they better add a tax equalization formula so that all teams are actually competing on the same playing field. Non-tax states like Florida, Tennesse, Las Vegas and Dallas have an enormous advantage that gets greater as the salary cap continues to rise.

On a $79,500,000 cap teams like Tampa Bay give out an extra $8,745,000 in take home pay compared to the Jets. Or put another way, Nashville's salary cap is $88,245,000 while the Jets salary cap is $79,500,000. The 11% difference is real and easily solved to level the playing field. Just count after tax value of the contract against the cap.
What you're forgetting however is the compensation that is provided via the moving target of the value of the Canadian Dollar compared to the USD. Players get paid in USD but cost of living in Canada is paid for in CAD obviously. So that "advantage" that those particular cities has kind of goes for the Canadian Markets as well (or historically has at least) as the CAD has been around .7-.8 of the USD for a while now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad