5 Jets Have Filed for Salary Arbitration

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We would need get something extra for taking Cally. There's no way we take on Cally as an extra, the value shoots massively in Tampa's favour then. We then buy him out, which I will admit the Jets are averse too. It gives us the cap room to sign Helle, Morrissey, Laine and Connor long term though. We can't have their 1st rounder as it's tied up in the McDonagh deal, so we target one of their high end C prospects.

After that we would have to make a decision between Wheeler, Myers and Perreault. My guess is Perreault and Myers are moved and we try to sign Wheeler. No idea what kind of contract we would be looking at there. Perreault and Myers are likely gone either way though.

We would likely need to bridge Sergachev and possibly Roslovic rather then pay them long term money in order to keep everyone else but it's doable. We do have Kulikov coming off the books at that point + whatever raise in the cap we get over those two years.

After you rave about Sergachev you still think we get an add? If TBL had the cap room to take Trouba without trouble, I don't think they do Trouba for Sergachev, 1 for 1. We have to add. Because they would need cap space to pay Trouba, that add is Cally. And then we are lucky to get it. If we were to insist on an add of any significance Steve would simply walk away. With Foote, we get adds.

I don't think the cap would be too big a problem. We have to use bridge deals but I expect that anyway. If we buy out Callahan, my guess is it would only be the last year, ~1.5 mil for 2 years. That way he is completely gone in 3 years instead of 4.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
After you rave about Sergachev you still think we get an add? If TBL had the cap room to take Trouba without trouble, I don't think they do Trouba for Sergachev, 1 for 1. We have to add. Because they would need cap space to pay Trouba, that add is Cally. And then we are lucky to get it. If we were to insist on an add of any significance Steve would simply walk away. With Foote, we get adds.

I don't think the cap would be too big a problem. We have to use bridge deals but I expect that anyway. If we buy out Callahan, my guess is it would only be the last year, ~1.5 mil for 2 years. That way he is completely gone in 3 years instead of 4.

I rave about him because I think they are close in value at least from a long term perspective. I don't think we get a cap dump as a +. That's isn't how negotiation works. When the other team is dumping cap to upgrade on 1 side we get the + not them.

We could probably hold onto Callahan for a season at the very least and then buyout his last year which lowers the value by quite a bit. We would need to move one of Petan/Dano for that to happen I think. If we include one of them in this deal we could probably upgrade on whatever we would get back as a + though.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Why then did someone who thought like that negotiate till Sunday nite the night 4 free agency. Seems he would have let the jets know he wasn't interested at the exit meetings.

Perhaps. Although I'm cynical enough to believe he might have been negotiating with the Jets just to drive up his price elsewhere.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Vegas had a fluke season. If they slide back it won't be to typical expansion team status though. They should have been a bubble team. Maybe MAF is enough of a boost to get them off the bubble and into a WC spot. But 14 of their 16 top players by scoring had career seasons. That is an incredible fact. If a team has 3-4 of those in one season they overachieve. 14 is an unbelievable number, but it is true.

Why would you suspect something rotten in the Jets chemistry? What evidence is there?

Just my perception that a few veterans aren't held accountable for their play to the extent others are.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I rave about him because I think they are close in value at least from a long term perspective. I don't think we get a cap dump as a +. That's isn't how negotiation works. When the other team is dumping cap to upgrade on 1 side we get the + not them.

We could probably hold onto Callahan for a season at the very least and then buyout his last year which lowers the value by quite a bit. We would need to move one of Petan/Dano for that to happen I think. If we include one of them in this deal we could probably upgrade on whatever we would get back as a + though.

I spent some time on your mainboard thread for this trade. Surprisingly (to me) positive response to Serg suggestion. :thumbu:

Interesting thing though. A few TBL posters pointed out that he plays the right side. :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That is not unique to Winnipeg.

I'm sure it's not. But is it universal? I also wonder if the accountability level will drop this year without Hendricks. I'm not saying there's a definite cause and effect here, maybe it's just coincidence that the Oilers had a drastic fall and the Jets had a meteoric rise. If we see a similar fall and rise with the Jets and Wild this year, maybe there's something to it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm sure it's not. But is it universal? I also wonder if the accountability level will drop this year without Hendricks. I'm not saying there's a definite cause and effect here, maybe it's just coincidence that the Oilers had a drastic fall and the Jets had a meteoric rise. If we see a similar fall and rise with the Jets and Wild this year, maybe there's something to it.

Is it universal? probably.

The jets were due for the meteoric rise. It wasn't actually meteoric. It had been coming for at least a couple of years but was being masked by goaltending. Goaltending fixed > meteoric rise. There is no Hendricks effect.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Is it universal? probably.

The jets were due for the meteoric rise. It wasn't actually meteoric. It had been coming for at least a couple of years but was being masked by goaltending. Goaltending fixed > meteoric rise. There is no Hendricks effect.
Jets were officially a good team by April 2017, months before Hendricks was signed. It just took a while for us and everyone else to believe it.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The Oilers were bad because they spent over $20 million on two players, played them together for a lot of the year, and backed that up with overpaid veterans (Lucic) or merely adequate rookies, and some poor goaltending. Oh, and also traded away their other good players for awful returns.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I spent some time on your mainboard thread for this trade. Surprisingly (to me) positive response to Serg suggestion. :thumbu:

Interesting thing though. A few TBL posters pointed out that he plays the right side. :laugh:

Yeah apparently he prefers it. He played the left in Windsor so news to me. But that increases his value.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
No, we made the playoffs because of Hellebuyck. We finished near the top because of Hendricks. That's my narrative and I'm sticking to it. :nod:

You'd be wrong. Despite failing to make the playoffs, The Jets finished the 2016-2017 as the best team in hockey over the last 10 games going 8-2, long before Hendricks arrived.

Hendricks also sat the last quarter of the season appearing in 4 of the last 17 games while the Jets again having the best record in the NHL going 13-3-1.

I love Hendricks & the leadership role he delivered, but he's now on his third team in three years. Whatever mentorship he provides is apparently a 6 month course.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah apparently he prefers it. He played the left in Windsor so news to me. But that increases his value.

Prefers it is OK. Succeeds there is more to the point - but I will assume he does. Being able to play either side is definitely an advantage.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

What about all the other years Oilers had Hendricks lol.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Prefers it is OK. Succeeds there is more to the point - but I will assume he does. Being able to play either side is definitely an advantage.

After talking with another Tampa fan via PM he informed me that is where he played all season. Their pairings were..

Hedman - Girardi
McDonaugh - Stralman
Coburn - Sergachev

Though he did play the left side on the PP.

Which is odd because it's the exact opposite he did in Windsor. There he played the left side, while Chatfield played the right and he played the right side on their PP.

Looks to me like he succeeded there. Would be huge for us to get someone that can put up 25 points and 5v5 playing their offside and actually liking it more.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
After talking with another Tampa fan via PM he informed me that is where he played all season. Their pairings were..

Hedman - Girardi
McDonaugh - Stralman
Coburn - Sergachev

Though he did play the left side on the PP.

Which is odd because it's the exact opposite he did in Windsor. There he played the left side, while Chatfield played the right and he played the right side on their PP.

Looks to me like he succeeded there. Would be huge for us to get someone that can put up 25 points and 5v5 playing their offside and actually liking it more.

OK, I'm coming around on Serg. My hesitation was mostly based on the assumption that he would cost more. That is, bring a lesser return.

Of course, TBL's reason to do the deal is to correct their L/R balance. If Serg is a RD their need is less than expected. But they are in 'win now' and Girardi is a weakness. Does he drop to their 3rd pair if they get Trouba?

I still suspect SY would rather have both Trouba and Serg. Girardi then drops out the bottom. Which brings us back to Foote. I could go either way depending on the rest of the packages. I'm probably overrating Foote a bit, based on bloodlines. But I wouldn't have any problem with Buff, Myers, Poolman for 1 year while he develops.

Girardi, Coburn and Stralman are all pending UFA's if they are not extended soon. Girardi is just bad. Coburn is still good defensively. Stralman is fading a bit but still good. What does Yzerman plan to do with them?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really like Sergachev, but I think this is sort of fantasy.

No doubt. But aren't all trade thoughts we have here in the fantasy realm? Perhaps excepting solid rumours from connected sources and even they usually amount to nothing.

If TBL are going that hard for EK65, doesn't that make this speculation reasonable, on the assumption that they lose out on him?

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It would amazing if we could somehow get both. Depends on how badly Yzerman wants to win now and how he would value Trouba. Foote likely needs a year in the AHL and I'd keep him down there for the entire season. He already plays a pro style game but I think it will help with his development.

Maybe we add a prospect to Trouba to get them both. You know the one.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
No doubt. But aren't all trade thoughts we have here in the fantasy realm? Perhaps excepting solid rumours from connected sources and even they usually amount to nothing.

If TBL are going that hard for EK65, doesn't that make this speculation reasonable, on the assumption that they lose out on him?

Agreed. Nearly 100% of all trades suggested from respected members of the media have ever occurred, let alone from fans.

Here on these boards it's all fantasy & fiction. At best it serves to get an understanding of a players value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad