GDT: #5 – Panthers at Sabres – Fri Oct 17, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, Bell TV – WGR

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It's pretty clear the youngsters would field a more competitive team, but they need room to grow, and better they do that where they can excel. Sammy got his taste and now he needs to learn to dominate offensively so he can do that again at this level. Grigorenko will be an upgrade. Psysk is overdue. McCabe deserves a shot over the clowns here. Zadorov needs to get in shape and get his act together (apparently), but I don't see a need to throw him in Juniors since his game isn't going to benefit there.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Tight in passes, pressuring behind the net (both ends), back-checking with actually good positioning (rather than looking lost), snappy stretch passes (shame Stewart gets fancy), solid defensive positioning on the point (personally I wouldn't trust him there on the pp, but it's worked so far), etc.

What else do you want to see him do in the 3rd (other than win a face-off and try to not be on the ice when Weber blinds his goalie before deflecting another puck into our net)?

So your a super duper Hodgson fan. Got it

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Tight in passes, pressuring behind the net (both ends), back-checking with actually good positioning (rather than looking lost), snappy stretch passes (shame Stewart gets fancy), solid defensive positioning on the point (personally I wouldn't trust him there on the pp, but it's worked so far), etc.

What else do you want to see him do in the 3rd (other than win a face-off and try to not be on the ice when Weber blinds his goalie before deflecting another puck into our net)?

You're really giving Hodgson a pass on that goal and blaming Weber?

I mean I know you've been pumping Hodgson up the last 2 weeks or so ...but...you're taking it a little too far now.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
So, can we step up in the 3rd? Or let it be as usual? :naughty:

YES! They're gonna step it up, really! The last 4.66 games have all been part of the plan leading to these next 20 minutes and it's worked!

Truly - Sabres have very successfully lulled Florida into a false sense of security... It's all in the plan, guys.:yo:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
11-9 in the 2nd? We were better in the second? That's hard to believe.

I think you have forgotten just how atrocious the first was. The second period was much better. Girgensons and Myers really stepped up their games. Unfortunately they aren't getting much help.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Thank the hockey gods for Girgensons. I'm getting decent entertainment out of this year's games watching just him.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
You're really giving Hodgson a pass on that goal and blaming Weber?

I mean I know you've been pumping Hodgson up the last 2 weeks or so ...but...you're taking it a little too far now.

Hodgson was where he ought to be and doing what he's known for, period. And yeah, Weber does have a knack for inadvertently creating scoring chances against. I cringe when they're both on the ice together.

If I could change just one thing about Hodgson's game style it would be that he'd take the guy out with his body rather than playing with the sticks. Why Hodgson has the sticky mentality, I don't know. How to change his mentality so that he uses his body more to push guys off the puck, I don't know. Is it even possible? I mean, SOMEONE, some coach somewhere has to have proposed the idea to him, right?

But still, he was where he ought to have been and digging to tie up the sticks, preventing a clean shot. He could have only done better by being a different type of player (ie: less stick, more body).

Weber? Sigh. He's got really bad luck with those deflections (says me, who plays D with a similar knack, incidentally).

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
(Someone with photoshop skills could probably doctor the Toys R Us logo too :D )

7SrPU9B.png

Boom.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hodgson was where he ought to be and doing what he's known for, period. And yeah, Weber does have a knack for inadvertently creating scoring chances against. I cringe when they're both on the ice together.

If I could change just one thing about Hodgson's game style it would be that he'd take the guy out with his body rather than playing with the sticks. Why Hodgson has the sticky mentality, I don't know. How to change his mentality so that he uses his body more to push guys off the puck, I don't know. Is it even possible? I mean, SOMEONE, some coach somewhere has to have proposed the idea to him, right?

But still, he was where he ought to have been and digging to tie up the sticks, preventing a clean shot. He could have only done better by being a different type of player (ie: less stick, more body).

Weber? Sigh. He's got really bad luck with those deflections (says me, who plays D with a similar knack, incidentally).

But he wasn't in the right position. When he lost the puck battle (A long with Mez) they were both on the outside allowing the shooter a clear path to the goal.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Hodgson and Ennis both need to go. Good god.

This team may actually score less goals this year than last year with those two as our top 2 centers because neither are taking any forward steps in their game and at this point I don't think anything suddenly clicks for either. Truly good players can grow even on crap teams. These two are basically a crappier version of what we had in Roy Connolly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad