GDT: #5 – Panthers at Sabres – Fri Oct 17, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, Bell TV – WGR

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think you're wrong and I think it would be the wrong time to do that. Unless Hodgson and Ennis take huge strides in the remaining games this team isn't quite ready to do something like that.

Hodgson and Ennis are not as bad as they've been this year. Although I think sooner rather than later, you put them together and let them sink or swim together.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Is there any reason to keep Reinhart up at this point? He hasn't really shown too much. Besides, I'd like to see him play in the WJC this year.

If we're going to continue to give him 7 min a game and not play him in chances where he has a chance to shine......it's time to send him back.

He can't possibly be any worse on one of the PP units, could he? And we all know he can PK.....while Ennis/Moulson haven't been terrible at it....give Sam a chance there.....

ZeroPT*

I meant in terms of moves. I could see us going after a couple free agent forwards (Garbo and kuli) and trading some of our prospects for roster players.

ZeroPT*

I still think we're a year off from that.

We'd be attempting to fill holes that we don't know exist yet.

I disagree. It's not inconceivable to me that both Stewart and stafford are gone after this year. Mez and Benoit's contracts are up too (thank ****). Both goalies too.

I can see us being active in free agency and trades.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't think it's set in yet for some people that McDavid or Eichel isn't turning this team around in a year. And I don't think people quite grasp how much Tyler Ennis and Cody Hodgson's lack of development is going to set the rebuild back as well.

I don't think anyone expects an overnight shift from...this to legit playoff contender. Even if we get McJesus. I certainly don't. It would mean a tremendous amount to the franchise's future to add a young player of that ilk, but this is going to be a pretty long rebuild with or without McEichel.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't think anyone expects an overnight shift from...this to legit playoff contender. Even if we get McJesus. I certainly don't. It would mean a tremendous amount to the franchise's future to add a young player of that ilk, but this is going to be a pretty long rebuild with or without McEichel.

Very true, of course. But there will be a lot of turnover from this year to next year, so seeing significant improvement (while not being contenders) is certainly possible.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart
Mitchell/Reinhart-Hodgson-Gionta
Des-McCormick-Flynn

Mitchell, Stafford, Stewart all likely won't be back. Folding into:

Moulson-Ennis-Larsson
Foligno-McEichel-Grigorenko
Reinhart-Hodgson-Gionta
Des-McCormick-Flynn

And that's without adding in any trades or UFAs.

Gorges-Myers
Benoit-Meszaros
Weber-Pysyk/Risto

Weber, Mez, and Benoit all likely not back. So this could fold over into:

Gorges-Myers
Zads-Risto
McCabe-Pysyk

And I'd actually wager money on us signing a LDman.

I'm not saying they'll be substantially better, but there will be enough turnover that the team at least won't be the same.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Hodgson and Ennis are not as bad as they've been this year. Although I think sooner rather than later, you put them together and let them sink or swim together.

I completely agree. They could be an interesting duo. In the same vein, I'd love to see Girgensons with Reinhart.

Ennis-Hodgson-Moulson
Reinhart-Girgensons-Stafford
Gionta-Foligno-Stewart
Des-McCormick-Flynn

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
People who are panicking that the team is garbage based on these first few games, and are going to be bad next year too, are massively underrating the importance of good center play, and seemingly are unaware of how Tim Murray is setting the stage.

Ennis and Hodgson will not be centers next year. Reinhart will hopefully have the big physical maturation jump over the summer into next year. Not to mention Grigorenko could be up now and playing more respectable center play than anybody not named Zemgus, if Tim Murray wanted to get max points for the Sabres. He rightfully does not.

Moulson Girgs Hodgson
Ennis Grigorenko McEichel
Foligno Reinhart Larsson
Deslauriers McCormick Gionta

Gorges Myers
Psysk Risto
Weber McCabe

Enroth

This is not a Cup Contender, but it is a playoff contender. People need to remember that the defensive woes caused by Mez and Benoit will not be there next year. The lack of puck support and defensive commitment will not be there by our goddawful centers next year. This is all rather conservative imo, because this all ignores the possibility of Zadorov being ready next year, or any one of our young forward prospects taking an unexpected leap. Or resigning Stewart, Stafford, or any other Free agent or Trade move that Murray could make, with obscene amounts of assets, prospect and cap wise. Breathe easy people, it is tough to watch some nights, but this roster has little to do with next years roster.

There are at least 5 players who are not on the roster right now who will be next year and they will be significant improvements over the players they will replace.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Just as an aside, playoff contender to me means 7-10 in the East. Not good, but far from bad. Basically Pittsburgh the year they got killed by Ottawa in the first round I believe 07 playoffs.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Very true, of course. But there will be a lot of turnover from this year to next year, so seeing significant improvement (while not being contenders) is certainly possible.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart
Mitchell/Reinhart-Hodgson-Gionta
Des-McCormick-Flynn

Mitchell, Stafford, Stewart all likely won't be back. Folding into:

Moulson-Ennis-Larsson
Foligno-McEichel-Grigorenko
Reinhart-Hodgson-Gionta
Des-McCormick-Flynn

And that's without adding in any trades or UFAs.

Gorges-Myers
Benoit-Meszaros
Weber-Pysyk/Risto

Weber, Mez, and Benoit all likely not back. So this could fold over into:

Gorges-Myers
Zads-Risto
McCabe-Pysyk

And I'd actually wager money on us signing a LDman.

I'm not saying they'll be substantially better, but there will be enough turnover that the team at least won't be the same.

Ah damn phone. Didn't see your post:help:, tho I think I am more confident for improvement than you.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Good point, for sure. But you still have to take into account play development...

In this case, I no longer recall how Hodgson came to be on the outside so won't presume an opinion either way. I do know though, as a D myself who averages 4-5 games a week in rec play, that it's damn easy to be doing all the right things and still end up on "wrong" side of my man at the wrong moment. Plays develop and you can't be on both sides in a split second.

Any which way, Hodgson couldn't go wrong if he used some of his size and leg muscles to do more body work in those scenarios - less sticky stick stuff.

Edit: But don't take my critique of the kid to mean I'm not a totally biased fan ;-)

Seriously, rec hockey experience are the credentials your providing to explain how an nhl player can be excused for being out of position....

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
People who are panicking that the team is garbage based on these first few games, and are going to be bad next year too, are massively underrating the importance of good center play, and seemingly are unaware of how Tim Murray is setting the stage.

Ennis and Hodgson will not be centers next year. Reinhart will hopefully have the big physical maturation jump over the summer into next year. Not to mention Grigorenko could be up now and playing more respectable center play than anybody not named Zemgus, if Tim Murray wanted to get max points for the Sabres. He rightfully does not.

Moulson Girgs Hodgson
Ennis Grigorenko McEichel
Foligno Reinhart Larsson
Deslauriers McCormick Gionta

Gorges Myers
Psysk Risto
Weber McCabe

Enroth

This is not a Cup Contender, but it is a playoff contender. People need to remember that the defensive woes caused by Mez and Benoit will not be there next year. The lack of puck support and defensive commitment will not be there by our goddawful centers next year. This is all rather conservative imo, because this all ignores the possibility of Zadorov being ready next year, or any one of our young forward prospects taking an unexpected leap. Or resigning Stewart, Stafford, or any other Free agent or Trade move that Murray could make, with obscene amounts of assets, prospect and cap wise. Breathe easy people, it is tough to watch some nights, but this roster has little to do with next years roster.

There are at least 5 players who are not on the roster right now who will be next year and they will be significant improvements over the players they will replace.
Wow how delusional are you if you think some miracle Summer workout for Sam Reinhart and some other rookies will transform this team into a 7-10 seed?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Wow how delusional are you if you think some miracle Summer workout for Sam Reinhart and some other rookies will transform this team into a 7-10 seed?

Tim murray may not believe in 5 year rebuilds, but incredulousness ain't gonna be enough.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Game Recaps and Post-game Interviews

Post-Game Report: 10/17 vs. FLA

SABRES CAN'T BACKUP ENROTH IN LOSS TO PANTHERS
445119_1413594664870.jpg

LOCKER ROOM VIDEO
WATCH: Game Recap

MORE
NHL.com Game Recap
Infograph

B0McctbCQAA7s3X.jpg:large

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Seriously, rec hockey experience are the credentials your providing to explain how an nhl player can be excused for being out of position....

Evidently in your rush to dish out a personal dig you elected to skip the validity of what was flagged. No worries though, you come off precisely as you intended and I'm left simply in awe of your superiority complex... :yo:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Ya no top pick who is physically not ready in his post draft year ever massively improves in his second year.. that list is endless. Not to mention he would be there third center. And mcEichel is not a normal rookie. 7-10 in the east is not some massive jump. This team will be much better with McCabe and psysk this year if murray lets it happen. We can revisit this next year, but if you don't think that lineup is not significantly better than how the team is currently setup I don't know what to tell you.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Evidently in your rush to dish out a personal dig you elected to skip the validity of what was flagged. No worries though, you come off precisely as you intended and I'm left simply in awe of your superiority complex... :yo:

Superiority no. Just confused as to why you think that level of hockey had any relevance. Continue with your analysis of hodgson having a strong game.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Superiority no. Just confused as to why you think that level of hockey had any relevance. Continue with your analysis of hodgson having a strong game.

Yeah, your complex is pretty much on the table. Only more demonstrable as you persist with the erroneous - and misplaced - put down attitude.

A small FYI for you though - if you also persist with entirely misconstruing what someone has in actuality written, don't expect more than an eye roll in response.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah, your complex is pretty much on the table. Only more demonstrable as you persist with the erroneous - and misplaced - put down attitude.

A small FYI for you though - if you also persist with entirely misconstruing what someone has in actuality written, don't expect more than an eye roll in response.

I'm sorry if I misconstrued your point. Could you clear it up for me? Because it seemed like you referenced your own playing level to illustrate a point on how d-zone
responsibilities are hard to keep track of at the nhl level. If that is incorrect I apologize.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Its not. Or at least it doesn't have to be. It all depends on how Murray proceeds after this season. Part of that will be how he handles the young talent. As in how soon do they play in the NHL or does he get more placeholder vets, etc. Part will be how aggressive he wants to be when players become available. He has more assets than probably any team giving him the strongest position next offseason to acquire any players that become available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad