Post-Game Talk: #42 | FLYERS (A) vs. Capitals (H) | Tuesday, Apr. 13, 2021 | Another loss

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Stop with the goaltending BS.... Elliott was crap tonight it was clear (thats what bad goaltending looks like). He started well this year but has been getting worse (I hate him as the backup btw)... granted (but he hasn't clearly lost many games for this team like tonight especially in Feb/March). Goalies were to blame only in the sense that they weren't able to steal some games (but with the quality of chances not sure how)

Regarding Hart, anyone that can show me a game that Hart played horribly besides the Lake Tahoe game where he let in a ton of soft calls ....I would love to see it.. complete BS. Our defence Gus, Myers,Sanheim , Ghost and Provy have been a disaster this year in their own end and on the PK . Sad when Braun is your best d.... a player thats no better than a 6th dman anymore.

BTW its not just about the D the forwards have not been helping at all leaving players wide open in the slot all season. Coach also needs their blame in this disaster but to just blame it on the goalies is BS. Doesn't pass the eye test no matter what stats you want to throw out!!!!!!!!!!!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's scary when Striiker and I agree, but the problem is the goalies.

Why is this team lifeless, well, while Washington out played them the 1st period, they were still in it, except Elliott gave up 3 goals he should have stopped - and after the 3rd you could see the life seep out of the team. 4th goal, G line with Sanheim and they all looked like they wanted to be elsewhere.

And that's been the problem all season, they're playing not to make mistakes, because every time they do it ends up in the back of the net - and of course, that's when you grip the stick too tight, hesitate on an outlet pass, and gee whiz, turn the puck over. The team expects the goalies to f---k up and lose the game. And they do.

Elliott was terrible, I mean that would have been a bad AHL performance, he looked like he took a couple Valium before the game, and washed them down with a Molson's. Falling down, glacier slow moving from post to post, glove hand in slow motion. To be fair to Elliott, the expectation was that Hart would play 60-70% of the games - but he's looking like a zombie goaltender.

This is basically insolvable, Hart needs time off and the summer to rework his mechanics and his psyche. Elliott needs to retire. Flyers need to find a veteran goaltender who can play 30-40 games at a decent level.

The good news is we have a legitimate shot at #12, which should be a player who can contribute by the 2023-24 season.

Molson's? Are you sure it was such an energetic drink? I was thinking he downed ketamine-spiked Robitussin.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stop with the goaltending BS.... Elliott was crap tonight it was clear (thats what bad goaltending looks like). He started well this year but has been getting worse (I hate him as the backup btw)... granted (but he hasn't clearly lost many games for this team like tonight especially in Feb/March). Goalies were to blame only in the sense that they weren't able to steal some games (but with the quality of chances not sure how)

Regarding Hart, anyone that can show me a game that Hart played horribly besides the Lake Tahoe game where he let in a ton of soft calls ....I would love to see it.. complete BS. Our defence Gus, Myers,Sanheim , Ghost and Provy have been a disaster this year in their own end and on the PK . Sad when Braun is your best d.... a player thats no better than a 6th dman anymore.

BTW its not just about the D the forwards have not been helping at all leaving players wide open in the slot all season. Coach also needs their blame in this disaster but to just blame it on the goalies is BS. Doesn't pass the eye test no matter what stats you want to throw out!!!!!!!!!!!

Hart has been a disaster most games, had a few games the last couple weeks where he looked like he was turning the corner, then splat.
Yes, there have been some breakdowns that led to easy goals, but even then, most goalies stop some of those chances.

But there have also been soft goals, and just as bad, rebounds left in front of the net on a regular basis, inability to use the glove hand to force a faceoff (and allow tired players off the ice), slow moving side to side to get into position for shots.

Go look at Hart in the bubble and this season and tell me they're the same player?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

Every stat, advanced ones that take into context difficulty of shots and the simple raw ones, say that Hart is pretty bad this season. .872 save percentage, 3.79 GAA, GSAA -24.7, adjGAA 4.18. They suggest he's not just bad, but considerably below the league average this year. Doesn't mean he's the problem or the only problem, but he's been bad.

It's impossible to tell people what to believe, so I'm just gonna throw out some comparable goalies on other bad teams doing way better with just as much help and some historically bad goalies doing way better. Saros has a .929 in Nashville, Cam Talbot a .922 in Minnesota, Calvin Petersen has a .920 in LA, Shesterkin has a .920 in NYR, Demko has a .917 in Vancouver, Linus Ullmark has a .917 in Buffalo, Kevin Lankinen has a .915 in Chicago, Bernier has a .914 in Detroit, Merzlikins has a .911 in Columbus. These are all bad teams around the Flyers in league standings to teams way, way worse. Excluding Minnesota.

I'm gonna stop there because you know how far down the list of goalies Hart is in save percentage? 81st out of 91. Only one of the 10 goalies behind him has played more than 5 games.

Bobrovsky is one of the worst starters in the league and was last year, he has a freaking .907 on Florida. Bernier is a backup goalie on DETROIT with only 7 less games played than Hart and he has a .914. Ullmark plays in BUFFALO, a historical-level of bad team, and has a .917.

HART HAS AN .872, LOOK AT THOSE NAMES AND SAVE PERCENTAGES THEN AT THAT.

I get Hart isn't the problem and isn't the only problem, but people really need to stop refusing to blame him for his bad play.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
sadness-2021-04-13.png

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Every stat, advanced ones that take into context difficulty of shots and the simple raw ones, say that Hart is pretty bad this season. .872 save percentage, 3.79 GAA, GSAA -24.7, adjGAA 4.18. They suggest he's not just bad, but considerably below the league average this year. Doesn't mean he's the problem or the only problem, but he's been bad.

It's impossible to tell people what to believe, so I'm just gonna throw out some comparable goalies on other bad teams doing way better with just as much help and some historically bad goalies doing way better. Saros has a .929 in Nashville, Cam Talbot a .922 in Minnesota, Calvin Petersen has a .920 in LA, Shesterkin has a .920 in NYR, Demko has a .917 in Vancouver, Linus Ullmark has a .917 in Buffalo, Kevin Lankinen has a .915 in Chicago, Bernier has a .914 in Detroit, Merzlikins has a .911 in Columbus. These are all bad teams around the Flyers in league standings to teams way, way worse. Excluding Minnesota.

I'm gonna stop there because you know how far down the list of goalies Hart is in save percentage? 81st out of 91. Only one of the 10 goalies behind him has played more than 5 games.

Bobrovsky is one of the worst starters in the league and was last year, he has a freaking .907 on Florida. Bernier is a backup goalie on DETROIT with only 7 less games played than Hart and he has a .914. Ullmark plays in BUFFALO, a historical-level of bad team, and has a .917.

HART HAS AN .872, LOOK AT THOSE NAMES AND SAVE PERCENTAGES THEN AT THAT.

I get Hart isn't the problem and isn't the only problem, but people really need to stop refusing to blame him for his bad play.

I said it before and Ill say it again, when both goalies numbers are as out of wack as Hart's and Elliott's it isn't really saying much about the goaltending anymore. Could Hart be better this year, yes definitely. But how many games would have ended differently if the Flyers switched Hart for their opponents goalie? I honestly don't think that number is very high.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
No time for practice is a legitimate excuse for not being able to correct flaws in the system. The problem is, the system was flawed in the first place, and the coach and his staff are responsible for that flawed system. The blame sits firmly on the shoulders of the HC. The lack luster motivation by the coaching staff is also on the HC and his staff. The throwing players under the bus doesn’t help. Again, coaching.
The coaches are the source of the problem. This team has talented players, but is missing a few parts. That is on the GM. The coaching issues are also on the GM.
The GM issue a are on the ownership.
The organization needs a Jocko Willink leadership training camp this off season.

Last edited:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Time to see what we have in younger guys. Let guys like Couts, Myers, and the guys that seem to be playing injured get the surgeries they inevitably need, and let’s enjoy watching the young guys play for the time being.

Including a few goaltenders.

Give McIntyre, Sandstrom, and Lyon a few games.

Seriously, there's currently no other purpose to these remaining games. It would be nice to get an NHL look at some of these guys before Fletch enters what is his most important off-season as Flyers GM.

If the Flyers come out of the gate flat like this next season, AV and crew will be the first to go, followed shortly by Fletcher.

Reactions: renberg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Honestly, does anyone at all (except deadhead) expect Chuck to do anything even remotely close to good this summer?

Good for pitch-black comedy, yes. Loads. Good for hockey, not a f***ing chance.

And I just want to sound an amplified klaxon for everyone who is excited about the impending Douglas Hamilton UFA signing which is an ironclad mortal lock to happen. I take the word of people who know better when they say he is great, and I do so with no resentment. But one thing that is unquestionable is that he has that Keystone Cops gene in his DNA. We've seen it often enough to know that it's there, that untimely brain fart out of nowhere that causes an implosion. He has that right there in his locker, and if you don't think that gene is going to become dominant here, with this organization, then you simply haven't been paying attention for the past 40 years.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Honestly, does anyone at all (except deadhead) expect Chuck to do anything even remotely close to good this summer?

They’re going to trade the wrong players, for shit returns, and they’ll try to pass it off as slick moves. The authentic fans will eat it up because “any and all change is good.” I haven’t felt this dejected to be a Flyers fan...maybe ever. It really sucks.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They’re going to trade the wrong players, for shit returns, and they’ll try to pass it off as slick moves. The authentic fans will eat it up because “any and all change is good.” I haven’t felt this dejected to be a Flyers fan...maybe ever. It really sucks.
Yup. Like how the authentic fans defended the Laughton contract, which we know know is both longer and more expensive than it was going to be because Fletcher increased both. He literally fought to make the contract worse.

We’re 100% f***ed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad