Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Yet you said yourself he had a concussion, so shake your own head at yourself then.

How many levels am I wrong on exactly?

I see him as someone who will play a physical, defensive only game. I don't see him providing much offense, and I don't know that he will develop into one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL (like Chris Tanev). I get the feeling some people only like this pick because his name sounds cool.

I usually dislike drafting no/low offensive upside players, because if they can't produce at the lower levels they certainly won't produce in the NHL. And unless they are absolutely elite on the defensive side, you'll pretty much have a useless player. If we were going to pass on Akil Thomas or Jake Wise at that pick, and were set on a defenseman, we should have picked Bode Wilde or Calen Addison. Even Sean Durzi looks like a reasonable pick.
I had Wilde and Addison on my DND List. Bad locker room guys and people.

Woo has offensive potential how are you saying he does not?? He remind me of Kevin Bieksa minus the turnovers

Reactions: Seventy7

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I had Wilde and Addison on my DND List. Bad locker room guys and people.

Woo has offensive potential how are you saying he does not?? He remind me of Kevin Bieksa minus the turnovers

LOL what are you basing them being bad people on? How are they bad locker room guys?

If you wanted someone like Kevin Bieksa then Bode Wilde was definitely your pick. Woo reminds me a bit of the Taylor Ellington pick (yes I realize he's a much better skater than Ellington and does produce more offense than him). I just don't like low upside players. I see Woo as someone who has bottom pairing defensive defenseman potential.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I really don't know much about this player with I wish the Canucks would have swung for the fences with their 2nd rounder. We lack talent all over and should have taken a chance on a high risk/high reward type of player.
Someone mentioned Bieksa? Bieksa scored 40+ points in the NHL along with a great physical game and snarl. This guy sounds nothing like Bieksa.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Gotta like Jett Woo. A little bit of meat, a little bit of potatoes.

I was kind of hoping that McIssac would fall to us, but we probably were already Wooed anyway.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Canucks hockey!

Miss Zadina by 1 pick.

Draft a kid with concussions already and puts up terrible numbers.

At least he’s asian tho, tons of Asians make the NHL.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
I don't really care about this enough to have looked up parentage of players, but maybe he's the second player where both parents are Chinese?
He is mixed. His father is Chinese, and his mother is of German ancestry.

This article by NHL.com also got it wrong saying "Woo would be the second player of Chinese descent selected in the NHL Draft." This is probably where the Canucks.com video based the info from.

Woo hoping to make history at 2018 Draft

VanFan101

Jul 24, 2009
1. Can't control who goes before you pick.

2. There are no concussion issues as has been stated multiple times in this thread.

3. Pretty sure eugenics aren't part of our drafting strategy.

Reactions: sexydonut

VanFan101

Jul 24, 2009
Canucks hockey!

Miss Zadina by 1 pick.

Draft a kid with concussions already and puts up terrible numbers.

At least he’s asian tho, tons of Asians make the NHL.

Multiple concussions last year. Just google it.

Yes maybe they should look at country of origin when drafting. China has a lot of people ... how many are in the NHL? And before people start on the racism BS, I say the same about drafting Italians, Croatians, Greeks. Etc etc. Makes no sense.

He's Canadian you racist Muppet.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Poor pick at 36. He has phydical talent but does not think the game quick enough for the next level. He may make it as a bottom pair D but that's not what we should be shooting for with a 2nd round pick.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I like the pick i would have taken jake wise instead but i believe woo most likely can be a good #4 or #5 guy and as a 2nd rounder you take that

Reactions: daddyohsix

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
you cannot declare a dmen with that kind of skating as defensively minded/limited offence UNTIL after his draft +1 season

draft +1 for dmen of his type is very telling. I've seen production sky rocket many times

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
you cannot declare a dmen with that kind of skating as defensively minded/limited offence UNTIL after his draft +1 season

draft +1 for dmen of his type is very telling. I've seen production sky rocket many times

Exactly, Woo was put in a limited role and not given any offensive opportunities. I think he will have a monster D+1 season now that Kale Clague has moved on from juniors.

Reactions: Red

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Ygqi0Xi.png

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I mean, it's really on the nose and probably over-used in games, but THIS should be his goal song (especially if he's partnered with Hughes):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad