Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I'm good with this pick. Steady solid defender. Not a ton of offence (maybe he'll surprise us) but if he can turn into a steady 2nd pairing guy then fantastic.

Reactions: Grantham

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
First of all - there is no recorded evidence of ANY concussions. Last season he missed 2 strings of games from injuries. The first was a separated shoulder, the 2nd was a strained oblique muscle. Googling "Jett Woo Concussions" and getting results back doesn't mean he had concussions - particularly if only 1 of the search results mentions concussions and it was a fan post on this forum.

Second - racism may be in vogue in the last year or so, but that doesn't change the fact that it's ugly, reprehensible and inappropriate in any public dialog. And YES it is racist to say we shouldn't have drafted Woo because of his Chinese ethnic heritage. Also mentioned (I think) were Greeks (Chellios), Italians (Luongo) and Croatians (Sakic). No racist likes to be called a racist, but if you fail to confront racism is grows.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
also, does it really matter if they are playing in a normal league?

wonder how johnny canucker felt about la picking up kopitar.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Dude has a Chinese parent and some of the posters harp about no hockey players come from China.... He's never been to china. Racism is ugly. Guess he's not interested in Matt Dumba since he's half filippino. Or P Kariya, or Kopitar... Myopic.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he was not drafted because of his heritage, my gosh, some of the Canuck fans here makes me face palm all day long honestly. not just this, Cringe Worthy Juolevi and Virtanen threads is just Cringe worthy 23/7. Jet Woo, was the guy I voted in a previous poll for who I want as a 2nd rounder, Liam foundy was one of my choices but when he was taken, Jett Woo already popped up in my head, it has nothing to do with that, he is awesome pick in the 2nd round, in fact I think it's another steal, Vancouver so highly of him, awesome pick. He will be introduced to McDavid and Gaudreau for years to come, wait and see.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
my only concern with jett woo is he's a WHL pick and afaik our western scouting is still the same group of brain surgeons as before right?

Yeah that's always been Ron Delorme's area, but through two amateur scouting restructuring (Crawford and Brackett) not really sure how much that's changed?

At the very least when we drafted Taylor Ellington out of the WHL in the same spot he had a measly 7 assists in 63 games. Woo isn't an offensive Dman but his numbers were reasonable at 44-9-16-25. If you're going to draft a 'defensive' guy high like this out of juniors he should at least be around the 0.5 PPG mark.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets fan here that is really jealous. His family is from Winnipeg so I know them. Jett has lots of talent and even more character. He is going to play an important roll for the Canucks in the future IMO. One of our better posters on the Jets boards is a Moose Jaw Warriors season ticket holder and loves Woo. He played on the top pair in the early part of the season and produced well but the Warriors loaded up for the playoffs and brought in Clague for his offence which limited Woo's PP time and held his numbers down a bit. He is a pretty rounded talent and I think he will be a stalwart on your top 4 for years. I would have killed for Chevy to trade up and sang him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would have liked a centre here (McLeod) but Woo is a solid selection and by all reports a high character kid with a rounded game.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Solid pick. Not amazing value (i.e. drafting a faller), but drafted about where he was predicted to go. That said, he would have gone higher if he wasn't injured, so it could turn out being a great value pick after all.

Really curious to see how he progresses next year if/when he's given a more offensive role. Likely could explode in production, since he was initially close to 1 ppg to start the season before injury.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
This kids stock will rise like M Bowey did after bis draft year. Bowey put up a 0.43 ppg his draft year, Woo had a 0.56. I can see Woo scoring about 0.8 ppg this coming season.

Kid is a great skater and plays a heavy game. He had Clague and Brook on the team ahead of him.

If the kid has said he hasnt had any concussions i will take his word over any random poster

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
For what it's worth, based on the CHL data tracking project, Woo's offense, at least at even strength, is not impressive even on a per minute basis, suggesting its not just a matter of being buried on the depth chart. Of the top-25 eligible CHL defenders, he's basically bottom five of every offensive category (shots/60, scoring chances/60, scoring chance assists/60, zone entries, etc.). Data doesn't really suggest he will break out offensively with more opportunity.

He comes out well in terms of zone exits and breaking up zone entries though.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
winnipeg jets should have traded up to the 1st round and taken him tbh

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Weirdly seems like the opposite of the Hughes pick. Almost as if their hedging the Hughes bet by taking a safer choice here rather than risking them both outright busting. Very much fills a system need though.

Oddly enough, our first two picks are high on the CanucksArmy list. It's probably been mentioned in this thread (which is unreadable), but Biech and co. actually had Woo higher than K'Andre Miller. I'm okay with this pick.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Always nice to see more players of different backgrounds playing and succeeding at this great game.

81499121.gif

He is indeed the nature boy.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
got it. this forum never phases to amaze me. Unreal, I don't even believe I am in a forum with fellow Canucks fans I truly don't.

I hear you but take solace. There are also a strong handful of positive Canuck fans on here that try to see the good in things. Haters are gonna hate. Let them be.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Jett Woo seems like a Delorme special?

Don't dislike this pick... but it doesn't seem like a calculated one... Seems like one based on intangibles. I think value was left on the table in exchange for intangibles.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Jets fan here that is really jealous. His family is from Winnipeg so I know them. Jett has lots of talent and even more character. He is going to play an important roll for the Canucks in the future IMO. One of our better posters on the Jets boards is a Moose Jaw Warriors season ticket holder and loves Woo. He played on the top pair in the early part of the season and produced well but the Warriors loaded up for the playoffs and brought in Clague for his offence which limited Woo's PP time and held his numbers down a bit. He is a pretty rounded talent and I think he will be a stalwart on your top 4 for years. I would have killed for Chevy to trade up and sang him.

Thank you for the insight!

I honestly didn’t know much about Woo, but I’ve beem watching clips, reading reports, and reading comments such as yours online to get a better sense of who he is.

My impression of Woo is that he has 2nd pairing potential and will be a solid aggressive two way defenseman with some potential for offensive upside. Being a RHD, he will definitely fill a need for us. :cool:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Woo may not be the "new age" style player but is still a good skater and a positionally smart player who plays with a physical edge. Despite the game becoming less and less physical, having a dman who can make forwards think twice when he's on the ice is good. If he can translate his game to the NHL, he'll be a fan favourite top 4 all situations player (2nd unit PP).

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not really loving what I'm hearing about this player. "Throwback defenseman," "tough to play against," "high character," etc. Meh

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Love this pick!

Woo was surefire top25 before shoulder /abs injury

Hes excelled for team canada in every level.

Comparable : dion phaneuf/brent seabrook

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
chinese kid who plays like a prairie boy. if he pans out even a little, say a steady and physical stay-at-home bottom pair guy, he will be a legend here.
As I understand it his mother is a Canadian of Chinese descent and his father is German...so no, that makes him a 'Canadian' kid not a 'Chinese kid"...Sheesh!. Always thought this was supposed to be a multi-cultural country anyway.

My only concern is that the Canucks track record of drafting d-men from the WHL is dismal at best...and the ones they passed on like Shea Weber, Keith and Severson always get drafted by other teams. But I suppose you can't whiff indefinitely....sooner or later one guy from the WHL has to work out.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Jett Woo is Canadian and I love his style of play, I’m happy with the pick and look forward to a smooth skating, right handed D man with good size, grit, mean streak and very very solid defensively. Exactly the type of D man we need in the system and on the team long term, I’m ok taking this type of D man with a 2nd rounder and given our weak D man pool it’s much needed.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Totally. “High character” is the last thing I want in a prospect. Bring on Kane, Merkley and Ho Sang!

What is the point of being intentionally disingenuous like this? Do you think you're scoring points with some children or something? I honestly do not understand.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like he had a good start and then was derailed by a couple of injuries. He should get more offensive responsibility this year and we’ll see if he can improve in that area.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
As I understand it his mother is a Canadian of Chinese descent and his father is German...so no, that makes him a 'Canadian' kid not a 'Chinese kid"...Sheesh!. Always thought this was supposed to be a multi-cultural country anyway.

uh, i don’t think being canadian and being chinese are mutually exclusive. sheesh indeed.

anyway, you have his parents the other way around. i mean, his last name is woo.

i do, however, have exactly the same concern as you suggest in yr second paragraph.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
No kidding. He projects as an Ian Cole-type defensive 4-5 guy. He'll put up points in junior but not in pro.

Although after seeing his mom, I retract anything remotely negative I said about him. Holy smoke.

Lmao Ian Cole ? You just got exposed that clearly youve never heard or seen of jett woo before.

Instead of getting into a pissing match with my opinion vs yours , ill just provide 2 unbiased scouting reports on him.

https://thehockeywriters.com/jett-woo-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Jett Woo Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #41 - Last Word on Hockey

They see him as a Travis Hamonic, Dion Phaneuf type... but yes please tell us about your knowledgeable information on him that sees Ian Cole.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
The more I hear about this kid the more I like him..........exactly the type of situation I love to see teams target. Guys that are ranked a bit lower then they deserve to be based on a combination of factors. Sounds as if he got pushed down on the depth chart after he got injured and his team brought in a stud to replace him.

I could see a really good season out of this guy next year assuming he's healthy.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Lol, a google search does not equal objective truth.
Don’t they teach critical thinking skills anymore?

He said to "google it" and literally the only things I've found regarding it are people mentioning that on reddit or here. Literally no actual trustworthy source or member of the Moose Jaw Warriors media has posted anything about it.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Yes maybe they should look at country of origin when drafting. China has a lot of people ... how many are in the NHL?

This line of thinking and prejudice is probably why a good many teams passed on Kopitar.

There had never been a Slovenian player in the NHL before.

..... until there was.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Like this pick, even if I'd have taken Hallander/Tychonick over him. Solid all around game ,with some untapped offensive upside imo. Before the injury, and subsequent trades (Kale Clague) reduced his offensive role, he was actually producing good offense when given PP time. In his 1st 22Gp he produced 7G 12A 19Pts, but only 2G 4A 6Pts over his final 22Gp (due to reduced offensive role post trade deadline), and only 1G 1A 2Pts in his last 16Gp. Give me hope for his two-way upside.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Letting akil Thomas slide by was inexcusable. Jett woo was picked where I thought he would go. It's a fine pick but Thomas was rated so much higher!

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
For what it's worth, based on the CHL data tracking project, Woo's offense, at least at even strength, is not impressive even on a per minute basis, suggesting its not just a matter of being buried on the depth chart. Of the top-25 eligible CHL defenders, he's basically bottom five of every offensive category (shots/60, scoring chances/60, scoring chance assists/60, zone entries, etc.). Data doesn't really suggest he will break out offensively with more opportunity.

He comes out well in terms of zone exits and breaking up zone entries though.

On the other hand he had 17 points in 18 games before being injured. During that time he had an important role. While he was away others returned to the lineup, he got moved down to, at least for a while, 3rd pairing.

A different role can lower scoring on a pts/minute basis, not just total basis. If a player gets to play top pair offensive minutes he'll score more than if he's playing with a 3rd pair guy and defensive forwards with little offensive ability.

So he started out highly ranked, started out the season with a bang, got hurt, came back to a much reduced role and never regained the form he's shown earlly.

In 2015 the Canucks drafted a forward that didn't have big offensive numbers in the USHL-just 30 pts in 50 games. While there was debate, he was generally viewed as not having a huge upside offensively. His ppg was just slightly above what Woo's was this season in the WHL, without the injuries and without the hard hitting. He's turned into a pretty good prospect after winning the 2018 Hobey Baker award.

The Canucks took a flyer on someone whose draft season was derailed by injury. Until we see more of him, we won't know whether the gamble worked out. About all we know now is he did really well in his post-draft interview and doesn't appear to have elite offensive ability.

What will he be like? As my elder son answered several decades ago when asked if he was going to have a little brother or a little sister, "we haff wait see."

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I was hoping for Scott Perunovich here but Benning wasn't going to go there after taking Hughes in the first.

This guy should be big in Vancouver though.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Im happy with the pick was one of four down I wanted with pick and other two were gone. RHD to boot kid has talent and is offensive was just limited after injury. He will show you next season he's the real deal very exited . We have Hughes, Juolevi and Woo now and in 3 years all will be part of our top four, all can skate I like our future there.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lmao Ian Cole ? You just got exposed that clearly youve never heard or seen of jett woo before.

Instead of getting into a pissing match with my opinion vs yours , ill just provide 2 unbiased scouting reports on him.

https://thehockeywriters.com/jett-woo-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Jett Woo Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #41 - Last Word on Hockey

They see him as a Travis Hamonic, Dion Phaneuf type... but yes please tell us about your knowledgeable information on him that sees Ian Cole.

I've seen Woo play plenty and I'm guessing more than you. Any comparison to Phaneuf is utterly laughable. And there isn't a lot of difference between Hamonic and Cole.

If he makes it, he projects as a boring, solidly physical 15-20 point #3-5 defender. Comparing him to Phaneuf or Seabrook is laughable.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So does anyone have any actual proof of a concussion? Or something better than a guy on a message board? Like even a second guy?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
But but but .... people wanna think we drafted well!!!!

Missed out on Zadina by a pick and drafted utter fodder after that. Maybe one of the worst Draft years in a decade. Hope Hughes pans out.

I've seen Woo play plenty and I'm guessing more than you. Any comparison to Phaneuf is utterly laughable. And there isn't a lot of difference between Hamonic and Cole.

If he makes it, he projects as a boring, solidly physical 15-20 point #3-5 defender. Comparing him to Phaneuf or Seabrook is laughable.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
I dont think the Canucks hedged Hughes at all... more like tried to address the biggest hole on our team. Now get Tryamkin back please!

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I hear you but take solace. There are also a strong handful of positive Canuck fans on here that try to see the good in things. Haters are gonna hate. Let them be.

Can you guys use PMs to pat each other on the back instead of flooding every single thread with this tribalistic nonsense.

Woo is a fine pick where we got him. He played most of the year with a bum shoulder with difficult deployment. Not my pick here but completely reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad