Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016
Love this pick & It's not even about the name.

He plays defence first, drives the puck, makes a good first pass & makes himself known physically.

Not sure why posters are being bummed abt this pick.. Gives us more depth in the pipeline to start making more trades in the future if & when Pouliot, Hutton, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Tanev and even when my dear Edler becomes expendable..

I like his attitude and his leadership skills via captaincy experience for Canada
It's the classic: "how could you possibly take this specific unproven prospect over all these other unproven prospects I like better!! Awful pick haha!!"

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Some friends are mine argued that we could've pick Woo with our 3rd rder.. but doubt it... Woo probably could've went 1st rd if he wasn't injured

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
From the prospects board posted in Nov/17:

I watch this kid every home game. He was injured a few games ago against Regina, hasn't played since.

His game is really all about shutting the opposition down. He's a beast in his own end. Built like a tank and loves to get physical. His skating, specifically his edgwork, is amazing. He is very evasive against forecheckers and often leaves them behind as he pulls a move and gets the puck up ice quickly. His transition passing is one of his best assets as he can retrieve the puck, keep it away from forecheckers and transition it up ice quickly. He can also QB a PP very well and has a great shot from the point. All in all I think he has a very pro-style game already with pro-ready size. I'd liken him to a Vlasic type shutdown and transition defencemen with a better shot. He has been an absolute minute muncher for Moose Jaw, plays in all situations and was logging upwards of 30 minutes a night some games.​

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Bit of a risky pick, but he sounds like a solid 2-4 d from the descriptions. Could be a good partner for Hughes down the line.
He’s so fricken good defensively, but his best asset is transition defence-offence and moving the puck up the ice. Imo he’ll be a #2-3 dman he’s very good. Great pick.

Oh and people STOP saying he’s had concussions he just said he’s never had one!!!!!

Reactions: jeromemorrow

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
someone clue me in on the 3rd rd pick tho

also confused what the rangers are doing in the 2nd.. And detroit killed this draft

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Look at the canucks insta story. Jett Woo said he’s never even had a concussion. Was just a upper body injury. Smh you peopel

Yet you said yourself he had a concussion, so shake your own head at yourself then.

Wrong on so many levels Y2K. He’s like Tanev In terms of defensive ability and puck transition up Ice which is nuts. He has a lot of offensive potential and he showed that when not playing in a defensive role.

How many levels am I wrong on exactly?

I see him as someone who will play a physical, defensive only game. I don't see him providing much offense, and I don't know that he will develop into one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL (like Chris Tanev). I get the feeling some people only like this pick because his name sounds cool.

I usually dislike drafting no/low offensive upside players, because if they can't produce at the lower levels they certainly won't produce in the NHL. And unless they are absolutely elite on the defensive side, you'll pretty much have a useless player. If we were going to pass on Akil Thomas or Jake Wise at that pick, and were set on a defenseman, we should have picked Bode Wilde or Calen Addison. Even Sean Durzi looks like a reasonable pick.

Reactions: Catbug and Caspian

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exciting name, boring player.

All around guy with no real weaknesses but no great strengths either. Thick body, solid footwork, solid defensively.

Does not project as a point producer in the NHL, probably more of a #3-5 defensive guy.

Injuries are a ... mystery?

Ok pick but would have liked to see something with a bit more upside.

Really hope this pick was based 100% on merit from our scouts and not a marketing thing.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He reminds me of Madison Bowey, remember Bowey had 30 points in his draft year before he exploded in D+1 season. Woo wasn't put in offensive opportunities as soon as his team acquire Kale Clague. He's also very young, doesn't turn 18 until late July.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
He is not the 2nd player of Chinese descent to be drafted.

News reports saying Andong Song is the first player of Chinese descent drafted by NYI in 2015.

What about Brandon Yip by Colorado in 2004, Zach Yuen by the Jets in 2011, Cliff Pu by Sabres in 2016?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad