Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Woo was just traded to Calgary at the WHL bantam draft.

With The mature game that Woo plays ...I wouldnt be too shocked if he makes the Canucks next year. I'd give it a 20% chance.

Perhaps Moose Jaw believes this as well which is why they traded him.

It can also be the reason why we haven't re signed Luke Schenn it what seemed like a slam dunk guaranteed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There is no way Woo is making the NHL next year guys, none.

Also this move to Calgary will be excellent for him. Strong team pushing to contend.

Moose Jaw moved him because they're rebuilding.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
A 19-year old (in late July) D-man should not be on our NHL roster when we already have one 20-year old rookie penned in and just know they will try to find any reason to keep Juolevi on the roster as well.

Let him be the #1 guy and continue his development at a level that won't destroy his confidence.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Woo is still two years away from seeing any NHL games, he will have one more season in the WHL and then one season in the AHL with possible call-ups.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Brandon Carlo and Henri Jokiharju did it from around the same draft range.

Jet Woo is a very well developed 19yr old physically and mentally.

It would probably not be a wise idea to add a 19 year old rookie to a core that will feature a 20 year old rookie already. Just not sure how we can ease 2 super young D-men into the lineup at the same time.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
It would probably not be a wise idea to add a 19 year old rookie to a core that will feature a 20 year old rookie already. Just not sure how we can ease 2 super young D-men into the lineup at the same time.

All depends on how they play and who is ready. I don't think Woo makes it this next season, but 2020-21 would be very nice

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He's unlikely to play in the NHL next season. To say it's impossible, however, is just ... silly.
Agree

Im a WHL season ticket holder and Woo is ahead of both the 2 WHL guys i mentioned at the same ages. As we've seen with both Carlo and Jokiharju seasoning is never a bad thing....both are somewhat raw.....Carlo obviously drafted 2015 is pretty settled now and he was a late birthday so he was going pro regardless.

Back to some of my posts about Portland re. Jokiharju..... he had tremendous lateral movement, quick 1st step a really good 1st pass with IQ poise and can contain and run a pp. which is why in my game reports i was lobbying for him with our 2nd. Obviously that was a moot point as Chicago saw what i did and he went 1st round. I liked him more than Glass when i would see them play. Obviously Cody has higher potential hence the draft position.

Anyway it is unlikely but it really wouldn't suprise me given the year he just had and how far along his maturity and strength is. I think he will turn some heads at camp. this kid is incredibly driven and dialed in on his dream and he blows up junior aged kids and was game star for Moose Jaw so many times we lost count which is high praise for a mostly defensive defenseman who got top line assignments every night.

It's a lot more likely Benning goes out and tries to sign a big name free agent (Myers Karlsson) as he has to be feeling heat from Aquilini this summer big time and i doubt he wants to risk another playoff miss on rookie defenders.....we'll see

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Sigh. This is not good for his development. The Hitmen are controlled by the Flames organization.

Hitmen are operated completely separately. You're being stupid with this take. The Hitmen had a good playoff run and are building a good team. Moose Jaw will.be rebuilding this upcoming season.

Good trade for both teams and Woo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Woo will benefit from playing his final WHL season in an NHl rink on a team loading up to make some serious noise in the playoffs. If for some reason the Hitman falter, Woo will be in Utica with 20 games still left in the AHL schedule.

Really a 'no lose' situation for the both the player and the Canucks.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I hope they can develop Woo better than they developed Jake Virtanen.

Recent CgY Dmen that are NHL prospects:

Jake Bean
Travis Sanheim
Keegan Kanzig
Vladislav Yeryimenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad