Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
If I had to design a partner for Hughes in a lab, Woo is pretty much what I'd come up with.
Great skater, big, strong, physical, defensively responsible, strong in transition, hopefully a top 4 right side horse for the next 10 years.
If we came out of this draft with a future top pairing then this draft will have to be considered a success.
Time will tell.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If I had to design a partner for Hughes in a lab, Woo is pretty much what I'd come up with.
Great skater, big, strong, physical, defensively responsible, strong in transition, hopefully a top 4 right side horse for the next 10 years.
If we came out of this draft with a future top pairing then this draft will have to be considered a success.
Time will tell.

I don’t mind this pick from what I have read. Couple guys I would have gone with instead, but seriously when was the last time a team drafted two top pairing guys in one draft? Maybe a d factory like Nashville but probably not often. Probably better chance both bust.

All for optimism but can we base it in reality? He projects as probably a number 4 at this point and nothing wrong with that. I like that he has upside, but multiple injuries at a young age scare me a bit.

Reactions: jeromemorrow

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jesus Christ, what a mess.

His mom is white and his dad is an ex-WHL tough guy.

Larry Woo hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Also - again - that '2nd drafted player of Chinese ancestry' thing is completely wrong as someone confused the fact that NYI took an actual Chinese player from China a few years ago and didn't realize that a bunch of Chinese-descended Canadian players had been drafted in the past.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I dono wtf is going on in this thread, but from the small tidbits..

Jett woo is 100% Canadian, and any person trying to argue that point because of his skin color is downright ignorant.

Reactions: billvanseattle

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I mean given that we live in Vancouver we should all know it would be silly to assume that someone with a Chinese last name would have to be from China. I'll give Johnny the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't some racist thing because it would have been a really really nonsensical statement. Like the kind we see from some posters in the management threads kind of thing.

Probably just didn't communicate what he was saying well. I think if he was saying what some people here think he was saying it would be closer to racism than that time my avatar was unironically compared to a swastika here, but Johnny seems like an okay guy so lets take a step back and breathe.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I actually really like Jett Woo. A great skating RHD, who’s very sound defensively and plays with an edge.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I thought he sounded very impressive in his interview. Has an idea of some very specific things to work on and looking forward to hearing what the Canucks think he should work on. Also confirms no concsussion. Very well-spoken and thoughtful.

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
What does it matter if he's Chinese Canadian or from wherever if the kid can play he can play. Using the "theres not a history of "these" type of people" is irrelevant and inherently racist. As a minority of a different ethnicity myself this somewhat discouraged me from checking this thread for a while.

Im here to find out information on the Jett Woo player. The more info I'm finding out the more I like and the more look forward to tracking his progress.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I like this pick a lot. Not sure what people are wining about. You need defense as much as offense... Are we forgetting how important Tanev is to this team? Both Hughes and Juolevi can provide offense. Having Woo, Tryamkin and Brisebois who can be effective in all three zones will be big.

Hughes Tanev
Juolevi Woo
Tryamkin Stecher/Gudbranson(hopefully traded)
Brisebois, Chatfield

In the future

Reactions: Grantham

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Time will tell.

It actually worries me that there is a non-zero chance that they drafted him specifically because they thought he would partner well with Hughes, which would of course be colossally stupid.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
On the other hand he had 17 points in 18 games before being injured. During that time he had an important role. While he was away others returned to the lineup, he got moved down to, at least for a while, 3rd pairing.

A different role can lower scoring on a pts/minute basis, not just total basis. If a player gets to play top pair offensive minutes he'll score more than if he's playing with a 3rd pair guy and defensive forwards with little offensive ability.

So he started out highly ranked, started out the season with a bang, got hurt, came back to a much reduced role and never regained the form he's shown earlly.

In 2015 the Canucks drafted a forward that didn't have big offensive numbers in the USHL-just 30 pts in 50 games. While there was debate, he was generally viewed as not having a huge upside offensively. His ppg was just slightly above what Woo's was this season in the WHL, without the injuries and without the hard hitting. He's turned into a pretty good prospect after winning the 2018 Hobey Baker award.

The Canucks took a flyer on someone whose draft season was derailed by injury. Until we see more of him, we won't know whether the gamble worked out. About all we know now is he did really well in his post-draft interview and doesn't appear to have elite offensive ability.

What will he be like? As my elder son answered several decades ago when asked if he was going to have a little brother or a little sister, "we haff wait see."

I realize all of this. But you're talking about a guy who was one of the worst players in basically every offensive category including guys ranked all the way down at 171. Deployment can explain small differences, but deployment isn't going to take Woo from one of the worst to even middle of the pack on a per minute basis, especially when a number of those stats are largely individually driven. Maybe the shoulder injury affected his performance, but maybe he got lucky in the first 18 games. It wouldn't be unheard of for a .5 PPG player to score at a 1PPG pace over a quarter of the season but still be a true talent .5 PPG player.

The lectures about waiting and seeing are getting tedious. No shit, we won't know what a prospect will become until the future. But the only point to discussing a prospect is to consider their future value.

Reactions: thefeebster

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Lmao Ian Cole ? You just got exposed that clearly youve never heard or seen of jett woo before.

Instead of getting into a pissing match with my opinion vs yours , ill just provide 2 unbiased scouting reports on him.

https://thehockeywriters.com/jett-woo-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Jett Woo Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #41 - Last Word on Hockey

They see him as a Travis Hamonic, Dion Phaneuf type... but yes please tell us about your knowledgeable information on him that sees Ian Cole.
Ian Cole has been a really good #4 defenseman for a long time. There's no shame in that.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I realize all of this. But you're talking about a guy who was one of the worst players in basically every offensive category including guys ranked all the way down at 171. Deployment can explain small differences, but deployment isn't going to take Woo from one of the worst to even middle of the pack on a per minute basis, especially when a number of those stats are largely individually driven. Maybe the shoulder injury affected his performance, but maybe he got lucky in the first 18 games. It wouldn't be unheard of for a .5 PPG player to score at a 1PPG pace over a quarter of the season but still be a true talent .5 PPG player.

The lectures about waiting and seeing are getting tedious. No ****, we won't know what a prospect will become until the future. But the only point to discussing a prospect is to consider their future value.

Moose Jaw was an elite team with elite forwards to run out on the PP and Woo got to be a part of that unit early (with Josh Brook injured for the first 3 months of the season) which inflated his point totals.

They then acquired Kale Clague and Brook came back which killed his PP time and his ES scoring was ... not good, to say the least.

Will be interesting to see how he goes with more responsibility on a much worse team next year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Just going through this thread and the Madden thread.... is when Im embarrassed to say Im a Canucks fan

Wait till you go to the jet woo thread on the main page. Out right disgusting. Unbelievable those are Canuck fans posting.

It’s like they want to,open it up to others to say he Sucks.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

The lectures about waiting and seeing are getting tedious. No ****, we won't know what a prospect will become until the future. But the only point to discussing a prospect is to consider their future value.

i find the lectures about not waiting and seeing and immediately whining about picks to be tedious.

you raise some valid concerns. the flip side of those concerns is he definitely did get buried behind clague and he definitely did have a shoulder injury which definitely might have significantly impacted his offence in the second half.

so i will wait and see.

Reactions: Red

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
i find the lectures about not waiting and seeing and immediately whining about picks to be tedious.

you raise some valid concerns. the flip side of those concerns is he definitely did get buried behind clague and he definitely did have a shoulder injury which definitely might have significantly impacted his offence in the second half.

so i will wait and see.

You should probably avoid prospect threads if you don't want people to discuss prospect performance. What else do you expect to read in a prospect thread?

Reactions: thefeebster

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
is his dad the same larry woo played the korean guy in "goon" and "goon 2"?[/QUOTE

I'd have to say yes..
85qAnCbKi-oG8VD8v2J_AlB3LgIMLQFDYSXxGE47Pk3EmvPeXIm-by60t_IiXiThaRR45Aj8WGbA29VRY7TIP1KSa9OEpus53vy1s7jx2tpEGIjOgZXY2wZ26CYvP7phdX2eRK0oVTanRZ7rYr3bbmF4jJbmURx4bGHuvoTgAjJB5gc4SBJP2g7WVmvCwDEhx-d-VAP_WrYN6OViAWsN306Qx-2r3k4lR2vFsZxq8F4amwYw34rEu0hO0oBZxqsEjHyvy6Zw8oH_wOgBlp-HRgLwNV81Kzd9aI-2OvnJQrVMbVs_ERRtA-VJJ5cXZOfaihXN3QMRdPWKlugebJBtUMCELgZd0eLkuEakhot36ghZQUz6muaROsku2NjdL-cqCUk_82XMDqL8UuKG5prCKAp0vTXSCW9LpJfzo5IWU_8bUMULZ7_Ulfr3hli6ILZ64Z9Ia-OxC2rvYmY3x2kUl2P2O03PtRRtVNYXQt806m_lT50_RyhyawStdhlpVzu1WvrlR4U1jUe22ilD04nGirryBijZcwj1krDBcEp1ecNXwv83rJeE7EiBK43IVz3tgSLQiQ9_2SUNAfrnkWVkB9wy3lQZNWYmZPVdgTA=w836-h684-no
wbVaLPxTv3NfjihAh2LuSgEbpF_5bE_9CIm7B074RkPakQWleh9oW4C-KF9rB9RXicpH1D54yovPArAi0QBHzgWC2asug8B-fKjakj78lMRfNI3Dekpn5_5q6L8re5i4lYQ-HS98gSqk_D7v-jyG0ZNmtjpg0OF_mPayiEqwCfKaHYmdzKi1FNBV8O0XLswuzM0cPmq3R2K75DQm4BaDmOzrs5q5VDKL-SPHVLVAovDMrF5eLg21CpwLHHIhqAN1qMB6MsE7XJPmHHl24V-JIUv_jVrveJwaQPq1zrsZWJXnr8OhK29Xp8vMuxcCKGJzHKByTwouJjZPhhbWcyoi0g67sf0ZM_VpOfS0vvc-G0y5yuROozsTIzOZPTqNaQH2ZlcSsD8u79XK1ZaUc9yeYu9tf4KUV4_wlp_qtMgOicW9yKgvUTIiFu1aYDqEWHvEIz-s9SA3_KMK9oUxqpClF8-cOvEft0DhXqFuQPLTyWZG_xX_4Twe3xs3gKIxY4TG1IB85hsHPehw7Z8U9HK_zlqupzt7TLv1lYlQ6BvLGpEvckvx4GqsLr_ox3b4kVcwwL7ihXKiAiH8NY_ApU7p5RQ5gtC9se4eTpD4oSE=w364-h318-no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad