Dreger: 3 Way trade between Ott/Col/Nash involving Duchene has fallen through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I understand Ellis doesn't make sense for COL, but you are incorrect about not being able to trade injured players. Happens quite a bit (see Nathan Horton and Marc Savard)
It's semantics now, but I believe there's a difference in trading guys on the IR vs. LTIR. Savard, Pronger, Horton are all contract unloads of guys that were never playing in the league again. Haven't consulted the CBA but I'm 90% sure you can't trade anyone on the IR.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's semantics now, but I believe there's a difference in trading guys on the IR vs. LTIR. Savard, Pronger, Horton are all contract unloads of guys that were never playing in the league again. Haven't consulted the CBA but I'm 90% sure you can't trade anyone on the IR.

Players on LTIR are also on IR. IR clears the roster spot, LTIR helps with the cap. You can trade anyone as long as the acquiring teams knows the injury background and looks at the medicals.

Evander Kane was traded while injured.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So what you are saying is that sens fans & Avs fans should start hoping that the Preds get shut out a few times?
They're already the third worst goals/game team in the league. Only the two Alberta teams are worse.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
My guess is COL had a chance at NSH 1st+OTT 1st+both teams 2nd (probably future).. or prospects liks Girard, Harpur, Paul, Englund etc.. (with picks).

Hard to believe they passed IMO if that is the case... but 4 high picks is hard to pass on regardless

McKenzie said Avs were willing to do it last night....wasn't them who ended the deal. McKenzie also said the Sens wanted to do it, which leaves....Nashville.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Deal is like this

NSH-Turris
OTT-Duchene
Avs-picks and prospects (I assume high picks like 2 1sts maybe 1st pick Nsh, 1st pick OTT, and prospects from both clubs)

Reactions: Icelevel

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
Deal is like this

NSH-Turris
OTT-Duchene
Avs-picks and prospects (I assume high picks like 2 1sts maybe 1st pick Nsh, 1st pick OTT, and prospects from both clubs)

I hope that's not the case for ottawa.

Turris+1st+prospect for Duchene

1st+prospect for Turris

Duchene for 1st+1st+prospect+prospect

Especially when turris is an average 1C and Duchene is a slightly above average 1C. Seems like a little overpayment from OTT

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I'll give it a go here..

OTT: Duchene

NSH: Turris

COL: NSH 1st+OTT 1st+Samuel Girard+Andreas Englund+Nick Paul

Wonder how close that is..

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
f***ing whenever I see Chabot, in anything trade related, I lol.

We aren't Montreal. Full stop.

Edguy your pretty close, maybe not Nick Paul though. Someone else, and I really hope not Brown.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
True, but the future is uncertain, and we have no idea what they're going to do until it actually happens. Maybe Ceci wants NTC or NMC, it sounds ridiculous no doubt, but possible. Likewise with the chances of Stone and Karlsson to name a few.

Duchene isn't a superstar, but Chabot is a unknown piece who has good development years. You won't believe the amount of defenders who shined in their rookie years just to become solid #3's in their career. Avs trade for the higher risk since we're gambling on nothing, but unknown potential. Not only that, but Duchene is a #1 centre (though on the lower tier I will admit) and would be the best player on the team after Karlsson. You're still going to say that a player who would be your best offencive forward isn't worth an "unknown" Chabot?

Stone may be the Senators best offensive forward, not Turris.

Turris for Duchene with no significant adds would be the only trade I would do. And I don’t think that would be what the Eenators need to do to improve.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No team in the league worse for leaking trades and players involved then Ottawa.

Bryan Murray was known to talk to the media while trying to make a trade.

Pierre Dorion does not. Every trade Dorion has made has come out of nowhere.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Send Yak with Duchene to Ottawa, send Ryan to Colorado, then have Colorado retain on Ryan when sending him to Nashville. Then wake up from the pleasant dream you were having.

More insanity!

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
The deal was:

Ottawa receives Matt Duchene with 1.5m retained, 2018 NSH 2nd
Ottawa gives up Kyle Turris, 2018 1st, 2019 2nd, Ben Harpur

Nashville receives Kyle Turris(Signed 7yr/6m)
Nashville gives up 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 2nd

COL receives 2018 NSH 1st, 2018 OTT 1st, 2019 OTT 2nd, 2019 NSH 2nd, Ben Harpur
COL gives up Matt Duchene retained 1.5m

No questions asked.

Look at the time of each. Just saying.

Reactions: Enoch

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
As a Sens fan this move makes no logical sense... the discrepancy between Turris and Duchene is minimal. Both similar type players. So we're gonna trade Turris plus High picks for Duchene whose got only 1.5 yrs left on his contract.

If were currently having trouble signing Turris .... Duchene is gonna want similar term and probably more dollars.

Why give up the assets of your Sens management? Seems like we're just kicking the problem down the road....this doesn't solve anything.

No added value from this trade; only lost value on overpayment for marginally better player.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
As a Sens fan this move makes no logical sense... the discrepancy between Turris and Duchene is minimal. Both similar type players. So we're gonna trade Turris plus High picks for Duchene whose got only 1.5 yrs left on his contract.

If were currently having trouble signing Turris .... Duchene is gonna want similar term and probably more dollars.

Why give up the assets of your Sens management? Seems like we're just kicking the problem down the road....this doesn't solve anything.

No added value from this trade; only lost value on overpayment for marginally better player.
The reasons are simple.

A)We dont want Turris for 8 years with Brown and White coming up.

B)Duchene is 2 years younger and fits our core group age better.

C)He's good trade bait IF, longshot, Tavares wants out of NYI.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

I agree that performance-wise, the difference between Turris and Duchene is very small. However, if you think about the entire situation from a budget perspective, there MAY be some sense in swapping Turris for Duchene.

That one extra year that Duchene has in his contract would give the Sens two years of Duchene-Brassard-Pageau-Thompson down the middle, which is not too shabby. Meanwhile, they develop guys like Brown, White and Chlapik to eventually replace some of those guys. After Brassard's $5 million contract is off the books, they could even afford to throw in an extension to Duchene, or vice versa, if Brassard somehow outplayed Duchene during that timespan.

The Sens want nothing to do with Turris and his upcoming 7/8-year contract extension, but they also want to compete now, so their only option is to look for a lateral move that puts them into a better contract situation. I'm not saying that the logic is necessarily "good", but there definitely is some logic to it all. Then again, that logic makes the Zibanejad-Brassard trade look absolutely moronic, if we're looking at what Zibanejad ended up re-signing for.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The reasons are simple.

A)We dont want Turris for 8 years with Brown and White coming up.

B)Duchene is 2 years younger and fits our core group age better.

C)He's good trade bait IF, longshot, Tavares wants out of NYI.
Meh ...Give Turris 7 years at 6 mil ...I know its not ideal.But EM has to understand its not only being a cap team that makes you a contender,he has to be willing to swallow a buyout from time to time as well .Us trading a guy like Chabot to slide the exact same issue forward 1.5 years is just nuts

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Meh ...Give Turris 7 years at 6 mil ...I know its not ideal.But EM has to understand its not only being a cap team that makes you a contender,he has to be willing to swallow a buyout from time to time as well .Us trading a guy like Chabot to slide the exact same issue forward 1.5 years is just nuts

Buyouts are stupid unless you have no option, and no one is trading Chabot. Duchene is a good fit and I think he will surprise Sens fans, plus he might have more amendable terms, ie resign him 6.5x5 which would be perfect. Also, with the deal falling through, look for another team to jump in soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad