Dreger: 3 Way trade between Ott/Col/Nash involving Duchene has fallen through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That quote doesn't support your statement that he backed off of saying the Avs weren't pleased. Just says the trade was contingent on Turris agreeing to an extension. It doesn't say that was the cause of the trade falling apart, only mentions it as a condition for the trade.

It sort of does. Garrioch went from saying 'Avs said no,' to 'one of the teams said no.' That sort of indicates he's not as confident anymore, yes? Might have lost that confidence after McKenzie pretty clearly said the Avs were willing to do it last night.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The guy has been involved in two of the three biggest trades of the past few years. Poile isn't afraid to pull the trigger.
Yeah, don't think it's really Poole backing out because he's unhappy with the deal.

Probably couldn't come to an agreement with Turris where both parties were satisfied.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
You would think Montreal would be an ideal 3rd team.

Need a quality center. And only have to give up picks and prospects. And likely, get a contract done, like Drouin. So no risk of losing assets for nothing

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Need a quality center. And only have to give up picks and prospects. And likely, get a contract done, like Drouin. So no risk of losing assets for nothing
Don't think Ottawa would want to face a MTL with Turris on it

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

A) Ottawa isn't sending Turris to MTL.
B) Ottawa isn't helping MTL get Duchene.

Soo no not an ideal 3rd.. Columbus may be though..

To Ott: Duchene
To CBJ: Turris
To COL: Murray+OTT 3rd or prospect (Perron/Englund maybe?)

Reactions: Cosmix

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

Why is Ottawa involved at all? For the 3rd rounder? I'm sure Columbus could kick that in themselves for Duchene. This makes no sense.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

It has been speculated that CBJ already offered Murray and Colorado turned the offer down.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Why is Ottawa involved at all? For the 3rd rounder? I'm sure Columbus could kick that in themselves for Duchene. This makes no sense.
Because I'm sure Ottawa is giving up a decent sized extra to get the deal to happen.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Well if by decent sized you mean a B level prospect and/or a 2nd rounder then ya..
Can't see them giving up White/Brown/Chabot or their 1st in that deal..
Don't think so either. Not the prospects at least.

But possibly a 1st.
Or and 2nd and prospect on top of what the 3 Rd team is offering could be enough for Sakic to accept.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well if by decent sized you mean a B level prospect and/or a 2nd rounder then ya..
Can't see them giving up White/Brown/Chabot or their 1st in that deal..

Of course they will have to add a substantial +.

Otherwise every team in their right minds would just cut out Ottawa and take Duchene for themselves...

IMO we are talking atleast an extra 1st.

It just makes no sense otherwise for a team like Nashville to downgrade to Turris and his 1 year contract from Duchene and his 2 years for the benefit of not having to kick in an extra 2nd round pick...

This whole 3 team deal concept makes no sense if the Sens wouldn't be willing to substantially add to Turris in order to land Duchene...

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I’m not seeing why any team that could use Turris wouldn’t prefer Duchene and just cut Ottawa out of the equation.
Exactly.Why help the Sens get rid of Turris and get a better center in return.Just cut out the Sens and deal straight up with Col.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Exactly.Why help the Sens get rid of Turris and get a better center in return.Just cut out the Sens and deal straight up with Col.

I don't know if it's not really obvious, but it seems like the entire premise of this deal is that Dorion is the only GM high enough on his own supply to be willing to let Sakic fleece him for Duchene....

Whatever NSH would have been giving up in the deal, Sakic would not have accepted for Duchene. Ottawa would be sending Turris to NSH for those assets, and then adding more assets on top of them in order to meet Sakic's demands that NSH on their own could not meet.

I would advise Sens fans to get mentally prepared that we're gonna wayyyy overpay for Duchene if this happens. Hopefully, Dorion and Boucher end up being right about him, but I don't see it.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Because one year of Turris @3.5 + 7/8 years of Turris @ 6.5-7 > 2 years of Duchene @6 then who knows what.

Turris is also better defensively and may fit into a system better then Duchene. All in all Duchene and Turris are pretty similar quality players, just about fit/System/money. And in COLs case getting rid if a disgruntled player

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
My guess is whatever winds up happening with Turris happens in the next few weeks. Ottawa sees themselves as a competitive team capable of going on a deep playoff run. They're not going to want to make a traditional rental trade with Turris and not receive immediate help in a trade, hence their attempt to work a 3-team trade out to acquire Duchene. The thing is, the clock is ticking on that 3rd team as well. They need to find a team that needs help at C but who's also comfortable sending off assets (including a 1st round pick potentially) in exchange for Turris. Even if you can get Turris signed, giving up a pick(s) for him if you're looking at missing the playoffs may not be palatable, so that could shrink the market as well.

It seems pretty clear that Ottawa is shopping Turris. Presumably they're holding firm on not giving him the term he wants, and being able to buy an extra year of Duchene may be worth whatever assets they were willing to trade for them even though it's a pretty lateral move for this season.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Even if Dreger hasn't been great, his rumors have to actually pass through a somewhat respectable editors desk and meet some level of journalistic standards. Eklund has no such thing, and is free to make up whatever he pleases. Him owning his own site and probably not having any level of journalistic integrity allows him to do it.
all Dreger has to do is to get CLICKS, it's a business and generates income for TSN, the only thing he has to be careful of is not sounding to outlandish or unbelievable:nod:

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Stone is the teams best forward,and that wouldn't change with the addition of Duchene.

No I wouldn't make that trade. And I've been watching hockey since the 80s, I've seen plenty of prospects fizzle out, and I know that nothing is certain.what I do know is that Chabot continues to look better and better. The busts tend to show question marks before they fizzle out. Just went through all of this with Jared Cowen a few years ago, a guy drafted even higher than Chabot. The odds are good that he will be a legit nhl defenseman, potentially a star.

Just as its not certain that Duchene would sign with the sens, making it a possibility that the sens give up a future top pIr defenseman for two years of a very good, if not elite centre.

Duchene is a good player,comparable to turris. But not worth the risk of giving up Chabot.

For all the same reasons that Montreal is kicking themselves for trading for drouin.

Wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad