Dreger: 3 Way trade between Ott/Col/Nash involving Duchene has fallen through

Status
Not open for further replies.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Meh ...Give Turris 7 years at 6 mil ...I know its not ideal.But EM has to understand its not only being a cap team that makes you a contender,he has to be willing to swallow a buyout from time to time as well .Us trading a guy like Chabot to slide the exact same issue forward 1.5 years is just nuts

A) Turris wants 6.5 not 6
B) Being a contending team has absolutely 0 to do with buying people out.. I don't blame EM for not wanting to buy people out.. why would you want to pay someone to play against you?
C) nobody ever said anything about trading Chabot.. When Melnyk and Lee consistently say him White and Brown are future All Stars, it probably means they aren't going anywhere unless a guy like JT is coming back.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
The reasons are simple.

A)We dont want Turris for 8 years with Brown and White coming up.

B)Duchene is 2 years younger and fits our core group age better.

C)He's good trade bait IF, longshot, Tavares wants out of NYI.

We're fooling ourselves if we think this is solving anything. It's not. We're just kicking a problem down the road. Duchene will want similar term and more $.

No point in giving up assets to reach to the same conclusion in a yr and a half.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A) Turris wants 6.5 not 6
B) Being a contending team has absolutely 0 to do with buying people out.. I don't blame EM for not wanting to buy people out.. why would you want to pay someone to play against you?
C) nobody ever said anything about trading Chabot.. When Melnyk and Lee consistently say him White and Brown are future All Stars, it probably means they aren't going anywhere unless a guy like JT is coming back.

He means teams who want to be contenders need to have the willingness to spend money. You think a team like Arizona who takes on dead contracts to get over the cap floor will ever be a contender that way? A team like Toronto can unload a bad contract easily simply by buying out a player, or burying him in the minors. Not good for the owners pocketbook, but definitely helps on the ice when you need that money for a better player.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He means teams who want to be contenders need to have the willingness to spend money. You think a team like Arizona who takes on dead contracts to get over the cap floor will ever be a contender that way? A team like Toronto can unload a bad contract easily simply by buying out a player, or burying him in the minors. Not good for the owners pocketbook, but definitely helps on the ice when you need that money for a better player.

Orrrr you could just stay away from signing/aquiring those deals to begin with.. so that we don't have to buy anyone out.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
We're fooling ourselves if we think this is solving anything. It's not. We're just kicking a problem down the road. Duchene will want similar term and more $.

No point in giving up assets to reach to the same conclusion in a yr and a half.
My theory is sens trade turris so they dont have to commit long term and then flip duchene when his contract comes up and assume brown, white, chlapik or whoever can fill the void for cheap. Duchene is just to buy time and isnt meant to be a long term solution for the sens unless he wants to re-sign on the cheap

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
My theory is sens trade turris so they dont have to commit long term and then flip duchene when his contract comes up and assume brown, white, chlapik or whoever can fill the void for cheap. Duchene is just to buy time and isnt meant to be a long term solution for the sens unless he wants to re-sign on the cheap

Sure seems like a gamble that really doesn't need to be made... might as well just ride it out with Turris in your scenario. :dunno:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Sure seems like a gamble that really doesn't need to be made... might as well just ride it out with Turris in your scenario. :dunno:
Riding it out with turris leaves you with Brassard and Pageau as your top 2 centres for a team that thinks that it can win a stanley cup. If turris wants a NTC which i would assume he does you cant flip him either.

Be the Joker

Nov 5, 2017
I wonder if there is anyway Rangers get into this 3 way trade since Nashville is rumoured to be out. Rangers really need a guy like turris for the 2nd line but what would a trade intail ?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I wonder if there is anyway Rangers get into this 3 way trade since Nashville is rumoured to be out. Rangers really need a guy like turris for the 2nd line but what would a trade intail ?

Probably your first and second round picks if the rumors are to be believed.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006

Would likely be you sending Brady Skjei to the Avalanche... I don't see any way you guys are up for that.

Be the Joker

Nov 5, 2017
Idk if Skjei would be in a deal for Turris I do think Zucc would be and a 2nd and a 3rd I honestly see that happening, and after all the rumours suggesting Zuccarello is on the trade block it could happen. I'd be very upset if that were to happen but it would fix our centre core.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Idk if Skjei would be in a deal for Turris I do think Zucc would be and a 2nd and a 3rd I honestly see that happening, and after all the rumours suggesting Zuccarello is on the trade block it could happen. I'd be very upset if that were to happen but it would fix our centre core.
I don’t think the Av would want Zucc, no matter how much you want them to.
If Colorado is looking for picks and kids, then Skjei would be the likely target and Zucc would be a non issue

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t think the Av would want Zucc, no matter how much you want them to.
If Colorado is looking for picks and kids, then Skjei would be the likely target and Zucc would be a non issue
Matt Duchense isn't worth Brady Skjei though, so whats the point of this conversation?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
McKenzie said Avs were willing to do it last night....wasn't them who ended the deal. McKenzie also said the Sens wanted to do it, which leaves....Nashville.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...nashville-predators/j4ve9o4n1cuu1atg3v58khcbm

This article suggest the Turris camp did not want to negotiate ahead of the trade... that would cause Nashville to back out.
Also ... If there was a ticking clock on getting the deal done... that would put time pressure on that negotiation which would not favor the Turris camp.
Now, Nashville apparently is out ... so it makes some sense

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe Carolina will deal for him after July 1st when they can agree on a new contract to be signed? They really need another scoring center and have D prospects up the wazoo.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...nashville-predators/j4ve9o4n1cuu1atg3v58khcbm

This article suggest the Turris camp did not want to negotiate ahead of the trade... that would cause Nashville to back out.
Also ... If there was a ticking clock on getting the deal done... that would put time pressure on that negotiation which would not favor the Turris camp.

Nash is out for Turris but they may circle back and deal for Duchene directly

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Unlikely. Any team interested in Duchene would be interested in Turris. All we got to do is take away one of the things Sakic is asking for.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Not surprising, and something I've been saying for awhile. Players with 1 year or less don't have more value. Sure they CAN negotiate a contract with another team before a trade happens, but more than likely they won't.... despite what some fans want to believe to be true.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Without reading the no doubt impassioned thread, I'm going to assume Sakic asked for Erik Karlsson.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Without reading the no doubt impassioned thread, I'm going to assume Sakic asked for Erik Karlsson.

You are obviously entitled to as many hot takes or lame joke attempts as you please.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You are obviously entitled to as many hot takes or lame joke attempts as you please.
Here's my other hot take: what actually killed the deal wasn't just that Sakic demanded Karlsson, but that he dumped scalding hot coffee in his lap during the conference call.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
avs should keep duchene lol. they are in a playoff spot rn in the toughest division in the league.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think something will still happen here, think Ottawa will give Turris to Nashville and Logan Brown or Colin White to Colorado.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Think something will still happen here, think Ottawa will give Turris to Nashville and Logan Brown or Colin White to Colorado.

if we are trading Turris we are not giving up White Brown or Chabot, thats the point of the three way deal. We add high picks and B prospects while the third team adds an A prospect and a pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->