#3 - Dylan Strome C

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
He played 30+ games w/o McDavid last year and averaged above 1.5 PPG including a 6 point night to win the scoring title.
Yes I'm aware he played well in the absence of McDavid (I thought it was 21 games though, not 30+) but you think holding the fort down for 6 weeks (early in the season to boot) is on par with being counted on to be the man for the entire season?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes I'm aware he played well in the absence of McDavid (I thought it was 21 games though, not 30+) but you think holding the fort down for 6 weeks (early in the season to boot) is on par with being counted on to be the man for the entire season?

I'm not worried in the slightest.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Erie is probably a better team this year than last. I'm not worried either. Even without McDavid, Strome was still world class.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Be nice to pick up Raddysh with the Rangers pick, but him playing with Strome ensures he will be gone by then.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
almost totally agree. He has not helped our defense at all.

Yeah partially players and partially system changes. I know that he started in 2011-12 season, but I am in full belief that a good majority of Ulf's system stayed through that year. Only after the season did we see an attempt to change the scheme. From the time he was hired on June 13th, 2011, we lost Jovo to free agency. That was the only true personnel change on our defense alone (Bryz for Mike Smith as well). It is obviously clear that the defensive scheme has not been good. I believe that our youth on D has improved year over year, but the results have gotten worse while the talent has gotten at least a little better. Hopefully we can see a change there sooner rather than later...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like how a lot of our good young players are seen as leaders. Domi wore the C. And this year, Strome is, Dvorak is (co-captain), Perlini has an A...

Weeding out some of the past character issues. Anyone recall if Turris, Wheeler, etc. wore a letter in junior?

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
I like how a lot of our good young players are seen as leaders. Domi wore the C. And this year, Strome is, Dvorak is (co-captain), Perlini has an A...

Weeding out some of the past character issues. Anyone recall if Turris, Wheeler, etc. wore a letter in junior?

Pretty sure turris has an A in Ottawa. No clue about his college shenanigans

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yeah partially players and partially system changes. I know that he started in 2011-12 season, but I am in full belief that a good majority of Ulf's system stayed through that year. Only after the season did we see an attempt to change the scheme. From the time he was hired on June 13th, 2011, we lost Jovo to free agency. That was the only true personnel change on our defense alone (Bryz for Mike Smith as well). It is obviously clear that the defensive scheme has not been good. I believe that our youth on D has improved year over year, but the results have gotten worse while the talent has gotten at least a little better. Hopefully we can see a change there sooner rather than later...

Elliotte Friedman mentioned this today in his 30 Thoughts article:

Both Chicago and Tampa made it to the Stanley Cup Final with aggressive defences, keeping gaps tight and challenging at the opposition blueline. So, with that success, a couple of teams not really known for it are trying the idea. One is St. Louis....

Playing this system can be risky; mistakes happen. How will the Blues, who have played carefully, handle it? One opposing coach said his staff noticed St. Louis is trying hard to shed that “conservative” label.

Another team making the effort is Arizona. The theory makes sense, as some of the Coyotes’ best players are defencemen. The challenge here will be young players in key roles knowing how to make the right reads — especially the forwards, who need to cover when the defence steps up. The thing about this team is, it’s in the middle of a huge rebuild, so it can afford to be more patient.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-oilers-smartly-downgrade-captaincy/

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Can't wait to see Z or Grossmann try and press any decent team. That should go well.

Z has actually looked pretty mobile so far, grossman though should be entertaining. He did get beat cleanly on the outside at least once against san jose so it's started already.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Can't wait to see Z or Grossmann try and press any decent team. That should go well.

The jury is still out on Z IMO, because if his hip is truly fixed and his mobility has returned, he could be an effective player again.

If Z's as slow as he was last year though, it's going to be a long season, with either he or Grossman on the ice for 2/3rds. of every game (I'm assuming they won't play together).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
tumblr_inline_nqok46ukA91qftd0v_500.gif

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

If they did wear a C or an A it didn't stand for Captain or Assistant.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The jury is still out on Z IMO, because if his hip is truly fixed and his mobility has returned, he could be an effective player again.

If Z's as slow as he was last year though, it's going to be a long season, with either he or Grossman on the ice for 2/3rds. of every game (I'm assuming they won't play together).

It's going to be a long year regardless.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hard not to watch jumbo Joe last night and not see the player that Strome is to become.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00