#3 - Dylan Strome C

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think where I still differ on this is how Strome is ultimately going to learn the game.

Yeah I do think it's possible I'm wrong on this, I'm not 100% locked into this idea but when I see him play I see him do basically the same stuff he always has. Just better essentially. It's not like say Boedker who when he went back to the AHL for rush-rehab he looked like a completely new player with a new bag of tricks.

But I see the timetable for Strome as delayed right now from very slow to excruciatingly slow :laugh:
If the Coyotes were say another slightly less garbage bad team like the Canucks or Senators I think Strome wouldn't have been further delayed.
It was the whole reason they ran out and got pieces like Stepan and Raanta to provide some sort of basis for development. When that went kersplat the rest is history.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Yeah I do think it's possible I'm wrong on this, I'm not 100% locked into this idea but when I see him play I see him do basically the same stuff he always has. Just better essentially. It's not like say Boedker who when he went back to the AHL for rush-rehab he looked like a completely new player with a new bag of tricks.

But I see the timetable for Strome as delayed right now from very slow to excruciatingly slow :laugh:
If the Coyotes were say another slightly less garbage bad team like the Canucks or Senators I think Strome wouldn't have been further delayed.
It was the whole reason they ran out and got pieces like Stepan and Raanta to provide some sort of basis for development. When that went kersplat the rest is history.
He really is taking his time. :laugh:

I just hope we are both right in that he turns into an NHL player. With his development speed and his brother being what he is vs projection... :help:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Agreed about the timetable being delayed by how bad AZ has been the past couple years. Imagine if Strome was on Columbus, he'd be in their top 6 by now, if not their Johansson replacement. I imagine Kotkaniemi will be in a similar situation as Strome, as Montreal has absolutely no center depth to ease him in.

I still think one of Chayka's biggest blunders was trading (?) Vermette the offseason he took over. Vermette had 38 points in the 15-16 season and played well enough for the Ducks the following two. Having him behind Hanzal would have been better than the revolving door we had at 2C and 4C (Holland, Jooris, Richardson whose knee blew up and Burmistrov). He would have helped Dvo develop and potentially would have allowed us to bring up Strome that year. Chayka clearly learned from this and now we have 6 capable C's on the roster, so there's that.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He really is taking his time. :laugh:

I just hope we are both right in that he turns into an NHL player. With his development speed and his brother being what he is vs projection... :help:

Strome could have been in the league the last two season and gotten 35ish points like the other young players. Him being 'late' is by design and a good choice.

Reactions: Jagged Ice and ck26

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yea I disagree with the whole Strome being ready the first half of the year. I saw him play and his decision making and positioning were not nearly on the same level they were in his 2nd half stint. His hustle was there, he just couldn't think the NHL game and react quickly enough. Maybe the 2nd half success was a byproduct of the changes to the system, but for a player with no NHL resume, I would have sent him down instead of letting him be apart of the bleed too.

I have Stome pegged as a potential late bloomer at this point. I doubt we see his best years until he is in his late 20s/early 30s.
You might be right, but the way the team was playing I would have played him to see if he can cut it or not. Now, we are hoping he can cut it this year, and if he can't, and Chucky can't play C we are screwed at C, again. I believe Strome lost his confidence a bit last year, but so did the rest of the team. Playing Rinaldo, Hamilton, Archibald and who ever else they tried was a complete waste of ice time and some of that could have gone to Strome in the way of sheltered minutes.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome could have been in the league the last two season and gotten 35ish points like the other young players. Him being 'late' is by design and a good choice.
That's the thing. DVO, Fischer and Perlini are in that point range and were learning on the job, so why couldn't Strome? They all have their short comings. What about Crouse? Why wasn't he brought up for a look see? It wasn't like Martinook, who I really liked, Reider, Rinaldo, Hamilton and the like were leading the way. It doesn't really matter now as that is in the past, but I sure hope RT gives Strome, Crouse and a couple of others a fair shot this year to make the team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ah ok, I misunderstood. Even if the team were successful at that time, I could still see him being sent down but what your saying makes sense.

I think where I still differ on this is how Strome is ultimately going to learn the game.

Hes calculated and methodical in his approach, slowing down the play and then ramping things up when hes ready and feels he has the control. The two problems with that for Strome specifically is he doesn't have the foot speed to make up for mistakes, and hes not able to track the NHL game quickly enough.

There are a lot of other NHL players with this same style but they have a different tool box so they attain success quicker.

Strome is going to learn the NHL at a slower pace IMO, but I see a 60-70pt center in the future. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him spend the next 3 years as our 3c while he gets ramped up.
I think Strome's "tool box" is one of his strength's. I really don't think Strome's foot speed will be much of a factor overall, but I thought he lacked consistency and he didn't always move his feet and get involved in the play. That should come with experience. It's up to Strome now, he has to make RT give him ice time.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think Strome's "tool box" is one of his strength's. I really don't think Strome's foot speed will be much of a factor overall, but I thought he lacked consistency and he didn't always move his feet and get involved in the play. That should come with experience. It's up to Strome now, he has to make RT give him ice time.
I'm not saying his tool box is a weakness, just that his development curve may be even larger than some of us initially imagined because of his toolbox and playing style.

Look at Sean Couturier, took him 7 seasons in the league to break past 39 pts. Hes now 25. Strome is looking at (probably) his first full NHL season at 21, it may take him 2-3 years before he exceeds 40 pts.

Now in Sean's case, they started him in a 3rd/4th line role and slowly developed him in the NHL. Strome has had a different path, but I expect similar production to age with a lighter incline than a dramatic spike in production.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If nothing else, both Strome and Galchenyuk represent incredibly interesting story lines to follow this season. Really, very intriguing. It’s baiscally impossible to have any specific expectation for either, and no outcome would really be all that surprising. It could really go any which way for either. Fascinating. When I get excited for the start of the season it’s to watch on the edge of my seat the development of Strome and Galchenyuk on this team.

Hell, Barrett Hayton too. I’ve never been more interested in a prospect. I’ve cetainly been more optimistic but I’ve never been more excited to find out just what we’ve got.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If nothing else, both Strome and Galchenyuk represent incredibly interesting story lines to follow this season. Really, very intriguing. It’s baiscally impossible to have any specific expectation for either, and no outcome would really be all that surprising. It could really go any which way for either. Fascinating. When I get excited for the start of the season it’s to watch on the edge of my seat the development of Strome and Galchenyuk on this team.

Hell, Barrett Hayton too. I’ve never been more interested in a prospect. I’ve cetainly been more optimistic but I’ve never been more excited to find out just what we’ve got.
Bought OHL package yesterday just to watch Hayton.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It should be exciting watching those two. With Chucky we have a pretty good idea what he can do, we just have to see if he can do it at C which I think he will and surprise us all. With Strome, it's C or bust with him. My concern with Strome is will RT give him a chance, and if he does I believe he will be better than DVO. As you know, I don' follow prospects much and I'm more scared than excited with Hayton. I'm hoping he will convince me to get excited with his play at training camp.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It should be exciting watching those two. With Chucky we have a pretty good idea what he can do, we just have to see if he can do it at C which I think he will and surprise us all. With Strome, it's C or bust with him. My concern with Strome is will RT give him a chance, and if he does I believe he will be better than DVO. As you know, I don' follow prospects much and I'm more scared than excited with Hayton. I'm hoping he will convince me to get excited with his play at training camp.
I'll be stunned and pleasantly surprised if Strome is better then DVO. They just gave DVO a pretty good deal so I see his minutes and usage going up this year. If Strome can some how get more minutes then DVO the next few years, that would be a great sign that he has made it finally. I hope it happens but think it is highly unlikely at this point.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That's my thinking. Look what they got for EK. And it doesn't even need to be shitting the bed. It just needs to be "I guess he looked OK".

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'll be stunned and pleasantly surprised if Strome is better then DVO. They just gave DVO a pretty good deal so I see his minutes and usage going up this year. If Strome can some how get more minutes then DVO the next few years, that would be a great sign that he has made it finally. I hope it happens but think it is highly unlikely at this point.
I know you are not a Strome fan, and probably most have lowered the expectations for him to a all time low. Maybe I have blinders on.:dunno:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

I agree totally. I'm a Hab fan and also now a coyotes fan. Galchenyuk is a real mystery. I think he took on the victim role in Montreal. All the fans thought he was treated unfairly by management/coach's. We'll see. He's got the hands but lacks speed. He's not that good in his own zone but to get released by all the pressure of Montreal I suspect he will have a good year here.
As far as Strome not much has changed in my view. He's weak on the puck and he's slow. It's a deadly combination that cant be overcome in this league. Yes he's creative and has some offensive skills. But his confidence seems to be shaken easily up here. Just because he lit it up in the AHL means little. much more time and space up there which is negated up here. It's a fine line between domination in the minors and failure in the big leagues.
That being said i'm pulling for him. He's a good kid who has really worked hard. I hope he proves me wrong but I'm rarely wrong when analyzing hockey players.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Bought OHL package yesterday just to watch Hayton.

Remember you have to tell us about it. :)

Try checking out Kirk sometimes too? Would sure be fun to get a real player from the 7th round.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
So, not a soul here actually was in Vegas and got to see his last game? Bummer.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'm personally of the viewpoint that in today's game, you need to be able to build three lines that can score. And in the future, you'll need all four. But for now, you need three dependable centres and at least four wingers who can get the puck in the net.

If things go right I believe Arizona has this. Stepan is a proven commodity. I've watched Galchenyuk for almost every pro game he's had and many of his junior games so I think I know what he can bring. And I've watched some Strome and think there is definitely a player there. He's also only 21. I wouldn't try moving him for a Duchene.

If all three can stay healthy and find their game, they have a great cast of wingers to play with. Getting Hinostroza feels like Arizona getting Victor Arvidsson in a cap dump. I'm really hyped to see if the Coyotes can look like they did in the second half of last season but now with Galchenyuk, Hinostroza, and all of their young players a little more seasoned. I don't see this as Galchenyuk vs. Strome for a centre spot at all. Both can play centre, Stepan can continue to play centre, and Tocchet plays the hot line the most any given game.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I'm personally of the viewpoint that in today's game, you need to be able to build three lines that can score. And in the future, you'll need all four. But for now, you need three dependable centres and at least four wingers who can get the puck in the net.

If things go right I believe Arizona has this. Stepan is a proven commodity. I've watched Galchenyuk for almost every pro game he's had and many of his junior games so I think I know what he can bring. And I've watched some Strome and think there is definitely a player there. He's also only 21. I wouldn't try moving him for a Duchene.

If all three can stay healthy and find their game, they have a great cast of wingers to play with. Getting Hinostroza feels like Arizona getting Victor Arvidsson in a cap dump. I'm really hyped to see if the Coyotes can look like they did in the second half of last season but now with Galchenyuk, Hinostroza, and all of their young players a little more seasoned. I don't see this as Galchenyuk vs. Strome for a centre spot at all. Both can play centre, Stepan can continue to play centre, and Tocchet plays the hot line the most any given game.
Don't forget Dvorak either. I still think he's going to develop further offensively

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
I'm personally of the viewpoint that in today's game, you need to be able to build three lines that can score. And in the future, you'll need all four. ...

I've read some people argue the future is top lines that can score, and really cheap extra lines who can shut things down.

I agree the best would be 12 forwards who can score. But you will never get that. The biggest stars will allways be overpaid, and the best lines will win their part of the game.

I actually think those who go with superstar-lines, and shut-down lines, have gotten this right.

So I beg to differ.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The existence of a salary cap means you cannot have 4 scoring lines.

I think one of the keys to success is having a scoring line that can shutdown/outscore the other teams' best offensive line. That is why Dvorak and (hopefully) Hayton can be very important players for the Coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->