Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 185 lbs
Shoots: Left
Birthplace: Mississauga

eo_19_dylan_strome_ep.jpg

A competitive offensive dynamo in nature, Dylan Strome possesses the technical skills and the intangible traits that differentiate leaders from followers. He makes his own luck; no number that shows up beside his name on the score sheet is handed to him on a silver platter. He consistently showcases the size and speed to attack and break through the opposition defense, and always knows where his linemates are in relativity to his position. Possesses a hard, accurate release on his shot, which he is never afraid to use. All-in-all, Dylan Strome is a player who wants to win more than anybody else, a person who takes it upon himself to do everything he can to help his team win, and a leader who provides his team with the motivation and will that it takes to win. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

It's hard not to think of someone like Ryan Getzlaf when you watch Dylan Strome. His large frame, industrious work ethic, erratic shot, and powerful skating ability are all characteristics shared with the Anaheim Ducks captain. While it remains to see if he ever reaches such a level, Dylan Strome certainly has the potential to be a cornerstone-type player. - [EP] - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=228107#sthash.cdHCgnZd.dpuf

4 – FC – Top 30, Feb-15
4 – THN – Ryan Kennedy – Top 30, Jan-15
4 – TSN – Bob McKenzie’s Poll of NHL Scouts – Top 60 – Mid, Jan-15
4 – TSN – Craig Button – Top 100, Feb-15
5 – THW – Christopher Ralph, Top 30, Mid, Feb-15
5 – NHL Combined – Top 305, Mid, Jan-15
5 – SN – Damien Cox, Feb-15 – Top 30
6 – HP – Top 100, Mid, Jan-15
6 – ISS – Top 30, Feb-15
6 – McKeens – Top 30, Jan-15

Five Reasons Dylan Strome Will Be Chosen in the Top 5 of the 2015 NHL Draft

Size – One of the pieces that are hardest to find for an NHL team is that skilled, big-man centre. Dylan Strome, at 6’3, 187, is that skilled, big-man centre.

Competitiveness – Driven to be successful, a want to win mentality – honed at home with his NHL brother, Ryan (NY Islanders – 2011, 4th overall).

Willingness to Get Better – This is what I wrote about Dylan’s brother, Ryan way back in 2011, “The thing I most like about Ryan Strome is that this year’s enormous success just didn’t happen because of luck and good fortune. It happened because Ryan had the intelligence to know what he had to do make it happen, he had the common sense to do something about it and he had the work ethic to carry it out. That combination is a winner in my books and makes good things happen.” You could just substitute Dylan for Ryan and that would update you to 2015. And yes, Dylan Strome is a winner in my books too.

Good Down Low – Has the patience to wait for an opening to exist, has the lateral ability to penetrate an opening, has the vision to know when an opening will come, has the puck possession skills to work in traffic.

Face-off King – You know that you are pretty good at something if you can do it better than Connor McDavid, Dylan’s teammate and projected number one pick in 2015. And yes, Dylan takes most of the face-offs when he and McDavid are on the ice together which is mainly on the power play.

Offense

Vision – First rate along the patience to let the play develop.
Passing – Pass first mentality with the vision and skills to make it happen.
Shooting – Lethal wrist shot.
Stickhandling – Very good, especially in heavy traffic.
Puck Protection – Will not let go of his puck, a real dog with a bone mentality. A real strength.

Defense: Could improve his play without the puck; however, this is more a commitment to improve his skating than a commitment to more concentration on defense.

• Quote 1: TSN.ca – Bob McKenzie, “Strome is the big centre every NHL team looks for. His vision, playmaking ability and productivity (30 goals and 85 points in 45 games) are elite. But some scouts caution there’s no dynamic quality to his game (no “wow factor,” as one scout put it) and that he doesn’t possess the extra gear or pace that separates McDavid and Eichel from the rest of the field. Still, Strome is the top available pivot next to the Big Two.”
  • Quote 2: NHL.com – Mike G. Morreale, NHL.com staff writer, “A strong skater with the agility and reach NHL scouts crave. He’s been compared to former NHL player Keith Primeau for his ability to protect the puck from checking pressure while effectively circling it out from down low.”
  • Quote 3: The Toronto Star – Dawn Braid, Toronto Maple Leafs Skating Coach, “It’s nice to see him coming along,” said Braid, who believes Strome has developed better body control, posture and skating on his edges. “We always knew he was a talented player and sometimes they were questioning his skating. And I think over the next few years, if Dylan sticks with it, when that strength side of it comes in, when he matures physically, I think the games will be huge.”
  • Quote 4: USA Today – Craig Button, TSN Director of Scouting, “What I call (Dylan) is an industrious center. Those kind of centers go early. Dylan Strome might be like (Columbus Blue Jackets center) Ryan Johansen.”
  • Quote 5: OHL Prospects Blogspot – Dan Stewart, Director of Scouting for Future Considerations, “Strome has been progressively more impressive in each of my views this season and is someone who really does not yet know how dominant he can be in this league. His game will only become more impressive as he learns to fully utilize his great size, reach and adds more strength to his frame. This kid will breakout eventually and will be almost impossible to contain once he does.”

http://thehockeywriters.com/dylan-strome-nhl-draft-war-room-profile/

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Congratulations on getting Dylan Stome. I made a shift by shift video on him so you can see his style of play. I am sorry to admit my commentary is lousy; I am still learning and was especially nervous.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
The kid is going to be a millionaire sooner rather than later, so you don't feel too bad for him, but still, it must suck to feel like the consolation prize.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I'm so happy we took desert Strome. We didn't get cute and just took the big, skilled potential top-line center we've needed for 14 years. Beautiful.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Would have liked Hanifin or Marner, but I'm not unhappy with Strome. Like Pi said, I hope to god this works out for us and we finally got our number 1 center.

CoyotesFan18

May 22, 2015
Montreal
They made me **** my pants when they announced the O'money trade. Thought for sure it was the coyotes pick being shipped to Boston

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kid has a true love and passion for hockey. He's a huge fan. Watch some of the interviews with him. It's truly amazing. Kid reliving minor details of the Leafs last playoff run. Nieuwendyk, short side on Lalime, etc. He was EIGHT years old.

Watch the video of him and McDavid zip lining. Watch any McDavid interview hen he talks about Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad