2nd best player in the league!

Who is the 2nd best player in the league?

• Total voters

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Oh come on, over the last four seasons, MacKinnon has: 97 points in 74 games, 99 points in 82 games, 93 points in 69 games, and this year has 61 points in 44 games, which is a pace of 113 points over 82 games

MacKinnon is absolutely the second best player in the league after McDavid
Draisaitl about to out produce MacKinnon for the 4th year in a row.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I find it amusing that oiler fans want everyone to acknowledge that mcdavid is the best player and yet somehow they think he has no affect on drai's point totals.

This lack of logic is astounding.

Drai is an awesome player. But hes not 2nd.

Mar 26, 2010
Def better at pulling his pants down in front of girls, but not >>>>>>>> hockey
Matthews > Draisaitl

It is not even debatable. Matthews is far superior in every aspect of the game. Draisaitl is nothing more than a by product of McDavid.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Matthews > Draisaitl

It is not even debatable. Matthews is far superior in every aspect of the game. Draisaitl is nothing more than a by product of McDavid.
So Matthews is even a better passer? His teammates must have the worst finish in league history then

Maybe you’ll respond to this one! But I don’t have high hopes

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
Last 3 years Matthews has 3 more goals than Drai
Drai has 69 more points though.

69 points > 3 goals. That's like a McDavid to 4th liner gap.
Reminder that you're arguing with somebody who who constantly proclaims that Matthews is a better player than McDavid.

Mar 26, 2010
So Matthews is even a better passer? His teammates must have the worst finish in league history then

Yes, Matthews does not McDavid holding his hand.

Matthews is also way better defensively.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good argument. :popcorn:

All I have to say is, I really hope that Toronto gets Edmonton in the playoffs. I will leave it at that

Wouldn't this just prove that Toronto's the better team? Not sure how Toronto beating Edmonton in the playoffs would be proof Matthews is better than Draisaitl.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Poor Mack has to settle for the Avs roster, arguably the best team in the NHL. And despite this is being outproduced yet again by Draisaitl.
You realize the Avs having good second, third and fourth lines has nothing to do with Mackinnon’s production right?

Mackinnon himself certainly does play with some high end talent but Mcdavid is much more than high end talent.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
You realize the Avs having good second, third and fourth lines has nothing to do with Mackinnon’s production right?

Mackinnon himself certainly does play with some high end talent but Mcdavid is much more than high end talent.
Forward depth absolutely helps MacK's production. Opposing teams can't just focus on shutting down MacK. And when you get waves of consistent pressure it helps MacK take advantage of mistakes. MacK plays alongside a much more talented roster, he absolutely benefits from that.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

Well, his linemates have been:

Hyman
Marner
Thornton
Foligno

Nobody on that list is at risk of winning a Richard trophy!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, his linemates have been:

Hyman
Marner
Thornton
Foligno

Nobody on that list is at risk of winning a Richard trophy!

In fairness, I think elite playmakers will get their fair share of assists without having to play with a 50 goal guy on their wing. I don't think Matthews is an elite playmaker. I think he's a good playmaker and an elite goal scorer.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Gotta factor in some context though.

Draisaitl did this in more games, played in far more minutes played with the best player in the world and is not nearly as good defensively as Matthews and is 2 years older and already in his prime when this sample started.

Over the same stretch:

Goals/60:
Matthews: 1.929
Draisaitl: 1.547

Points/60:
Matthews: 3.424
Draisaitl: 3.728

Matthews can't help if he got injured or not and he can't help it if a stubborn dillusional coach wouldn't play him proper minutes either.

Speaking honestly though, I don't think there's a Leaf fan in the world that would swap Matthews for Draisaitl for anyone not named McDavid right now (Might get the odd Mac booster)...and I think even the most hard-core Oilers fan would think pretty hard about it and half the fanbase would probably give it the green light.

Matthews is a 2 way beast center that is going to go down as one of the top 5 goal scoring centers of all time. We saw a glimpse of the magic he and McJesus could create on team NA and with both in their primes, who knows?
There are no Oilers fans that'd swap Matthews for Draisaitl, let alone half. From a pure talent standpoint I have Draisaitl over Matthews but even if we ignore that, Draisaitl has an 8.5 million by 8 year contract compared to Matthews 11.6 million by 5 years- Draisaitl has the superior contract, I even argue he has a case for the best contract in the league (due to Pasta, Mackinnon and Barkov having less length currently, even if they are cheaper). He probably even has a leg up on McDavid from a pure cap perspective.

You say Matthews can't help that he got injured but being healthy is an asset not a negative. If everything is looked at from a paced perspective it just punishes the players who managed to play the full season. In the past 5 years Draisaitl has missed 4 games- its an underrated aspect of his game that he's plays a smart, safe style thats built for longevity.

I think it's one of the biggest arguments that Ovi has over Crosby/Malkin. The guy was a machine who finished practically every season. Yes Crosby/Malkin got unlucky but it helps them in their comparisons because their shortened seasons kept their paces higher than they would have been over 82 games. Ovi is more known and valuable quantity because he didn't need pace.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad