2nd best player in the league!

Who is the 2nd best player in the league?

• Total voters

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
This is great for the league. Drai, Mackinnon, Matthews, Crosby, Kane, Panarin all look fantastic. Healthy Kucherov you’d think is in that discussion too. You can honestly make arguments for all of them. I don’t watch enough of Mackinnon honestly, but I’d still lean towards him slightly over Drai. Matthews is closing the gap too, he’s having a fantastic year. A 64 goal pace over an 82 game season can’t be ignored.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Last 3 years Matthews has 3 more goals than Drai
Drai has 69 more points though.

69 points > 3 goals. That's like a McDavid to 4th liner gap.

Gotta factor in some context though.

Draisaitl did this in more games, played in far more minutes played with the best player in the world and is not nearly as good defensively as Matthews and is 2 years older and already in his prime when this sample started.

Over the same stretch:

Goals/60:
Matthews: 1.929
Draisaitl: 1.547

Points/60:
Matthews: 3.424
Draisaitl: 3.728

Matthews can't help if he got injured or not and he can't help it if a stubborn dillusional coach wouldn't play him proper minutes either.

Speaking honestly though, I don't think there's a Leaf fan in the world that would swap Matthews for Draisaitl for anyone not named McDavid right now (Might get the odd Mac booster)...and I think even the most hard-core Oilers fan would think pretty hard about it and half the fanbase would probably give it the green light.

Matthews is a 2 way beast center that is going to go down as one of the top 5 goal scoring centers of all time. We saw a glimpse of the magic he and McJesus could create on team NA and with both in their primes, who knows?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Draisaitl did this in more games, played in far more minutes played with the best player in the world and is not nearly as good defensively as Matthews and is 2 years older and already in his prime when this sample started.

Over the same stretch:

Goals/60:

Points/60:

Matthews can't help if he got injured or not and he can't help it if a stubborn dillusional coach wouldn't play him proper minutes either.

Speaking honestly though, I don't think there's a Leaf fan in the world that would swap Matthews for Draisaitl for anyone not named McDavid right now (Might get the odd Mac booster)...and I think even the most hard-core Oilers fan would think pretty hard about it and half the fanbase would probably give it the green light.

Matthews is a 2 way beast center that is going to go down as one of the top 5 goal scoring centers of all time. We saw a glimpse of the magic he and McJesus could create on team NA and with both in their primes, who knows?

500 goals to go to be top 5

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Over the same stretch:

Goals/60:

Points/60:

Let’s tone down the hyperbole. He’s a great goal scorer and is decent defensively. In no way is he a ‘two way beast’.

Reactions: Garthinater

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Let’s tone down the hyperbole. He’s a great goal scorer and is decent defensively. In no way is he a ‘two way beast’.

Are we watching the same player?

I've been watching him play since his first game and hes developed into one of the better defensive first line centers in the league. Good reads, good positioning, wins puck battles and is maybe the best in the league at stripping pucks. He's on the brink of entering the top tier for Selke nods and his numbers reflect that. Not gonna re post his defensive numbers but they are in the top end of the league.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
500 goals to go to be top 5

Much like all the fools who counted Ovi out, Matthews has the shot and goal scoring IQ to keep racking them up, he just needs to keep healthy.

Stamkos had a chance early but injuries took their toll on both his playtime and production so he's out of the picture there.

Currently the only center in the league even close to pacing for that goal and his goals/game pace has been incredible for our era now approaching Gretzkys career average for 2nd all time for centers. (Hes also Currently 8th all time) its fun to watch how it unfolds.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Are we watching the same player?

I've been watching him play since his first game and hes developed into one of the better defensive first line centers in the league. Good reads, good positioning, wins puck battles and is maybe the best in the league at stripping pucks. He's on the brink of entering the top tier for Selke nods and his numbers reflect that. Not gonna re post his defensive numbers but they are in the top end of the league.
Nonsense. Matthews is no where near the top tier of Selke candidates. Watch players like Barkov, Bergeron, O’Reilly, Stone etc if you want to see elite two way players.
Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s improved his defensive game this past year, just not near the top guys.

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Nonsense. Matthews is no where near the top tier of Selke candidates. Watch players like Barkov, Bergeron, O’Reilly, Stone etc if you want to see elite two way players.
Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s improved his defensive game this past year, just not near the top guys.

I'm only arguing he's in the tier below them (which he is) and trending up.

Like Barkov, hes been given the trial by fire of the best division in the league and is excelling. Don't be surprised if he's not a nominee in the near future.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Much like all the fools who counted Ovi out, Matthews has the shot and goal scoring IQ to keep racking them up, he just needs to keep healthy.

Stamkos had a chance early but injuries took their toll on both his playtime and production so he's out of the picture there.

Currently the only center in the league even close to pacing for that goal and his goals/game pace has been incredible for our era now approaching Gretzkys career average for 2nd all time for centers. (Hes also Currently 8th all time) its fun to watch how it unfolds.

He has a chance that’s for sure, as long as he’s healthy.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I'm only arguing he's in the tier below them (which he is) and trending up.

Like Barkov, hes been given the trial by fire of the best division in the league and is excelling. Don't be surprised if he's not a nominee in the near future.

This is more or less where I land. Matthews is very good defensively and could possibly be in the mix for one in the future but not this season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
People saying Draisaitl isnt in tier 2 are out of their mind. Theres nothing else he can really do to prove otherwise

Mar 26, 2010
Considering Gretzky in his peak couldn't do 200 points a season in today's era, we can sum up your post by:

"Matthews >> Gretzky"

Any chance you want to put that in your signature? Giving people a heads that that's your valuation of Matthews will likely avoid future arguments
No, but I will put Matthews >>>>> Draisaitl AINEC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad