2nd best player in the league!

Who is the 2nd best player in the league?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You’re not fooling anyone with your anti-Toronto bias rhetoric.

Matthews is way better than Draisaitl. Drai just rides the coat tails of McDavid. Stop trying to say he is better than the best goal scorer in the world.

Re: bold

While I agree that his production benefits from McDavid, I don't think you can say he's a passenger or rides his coattails when he literally finished with more points than McDavid last year.

If you can outscore your linemate, you're no longer a product of that person or riding his coattails.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Unbiased Leaf fan at their best.

The guy who has an 8th place in lady Byng voting (lol) and 10th in hart voting in the past 2 years is better than the 2 players who swept all major awards those 2 years. And the only player you'd consider putting ahead of him is the one who also hasn't won any awards those two years.

I guess if you're a Toronto Maple Leaf fan - you gotta find a way to glorify 'not winning'.
if youre using awards to judge players ability you might wanna rethink your methods

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I don't really know about their deployment - but before March 15th Zibanejad playing at a 33 point pace in first 27 games, Panarin playing at a 103 point pace.

Since Zibanejad got going - he's playing at a 120 point pace (24 games) and Panarin is playing at a 121 point pace (25 games).

Panarin only reached this level of production playing with Zibanejad on his team. They help each other out, whether it's playing together at pp or taking away tougher matchups. Adam Fox likely helps Panarin a whole lot too.

Drai proved last year he could outscore and outperform McDavid in a year. He certainly benefits from McDavid - but that goes both ways.

Finally - since we're talking about players on NYR, Toronto and Colorado - all 3 of those teams have better offense than Edmonton this year. Maybe more of Edmonton's offense goes through McDavid + Drai - but those other 3 teams simply have it more spread out, but still produce more overall meaning they have a better supporting cast. I think that nullifies the teammate argument.

Draisaitl > Panarin
Draisaitl > Matthews

He's in that tier for #2, alongside Kucherov and maybe MacKinnon.
i disagree with both of those, and dont think i even mentioned Matthews. i said my top were McD/Mack/Hedman/Panarin/Kuch

i still dont think Zib effects Panarin very much. already said he is only involved in 9/56 (16%) of his points this year. Panarin absolutely works with less than any superstar we are talking about here.

the reason Edmonton has a worse offense than the other teams is probably because they dont really have any offense outside of their big 2. but team offense isnt really relevant in individual player talks.

Reactions: Garthinater

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
You’re not fooling anyone with your anti-Toronto bias rhetoric.

Matthews is way better than Draisaitl. Drai just rides the coat tails of McDavid. Stop trying to say he is better than the best goal scorer in the world.
I don't know what Ovechkin has to do with anything but it is nothing less than absurd to say that Draisaitl just rides McDavid's coattails. Draisaitl has been better than Matthews for years, although Matthews is closing the gap.

Reactions: Former Referee 68

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Every time I watch the Leafs, I try to understand the hype around Matthews, but always come away disappointed. He is the best pure goal scorer, no doubt, and there is huge value in that. He is pretty invisible when he doesn't score though.

I voted Hedman. There is a reasonable debate about forwards, but there is really no sound argument that Hedman isn't heads above every other D in the league.
He does a lot of the little things. kinda like sid in that regard. but yeah doesn't seem like the exceptional player on the surface

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
You realize the Ted Lindsay is literally for the “most outstanding player” lmao

And the Hart is for the “most valuable player”

And the Art Ross is for the best points producer

In what world is winning all three of those not much more impressive than just winning the rocket? Btw Draisaitl has also been a goal away from winning a rocket too... I know you are a huge homer but this is quite the take even for you

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Draisaitl has been better than Matthews for years, although Matthews is closing the gap.

I'm a Leaf fan & all, but I agree with this. As impressive as Matthews's goals have been this season, we shouldn't forget that Leon Draisaitl had a 50 goal/105 point season, followed immediately by a 43 goal/110 point season. And of course.....Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, Hart. Matthews has never done that.

Some could argue that Draisaitl has McDavid and that creates a TON of room for him and he wouldn't be where he is without him, and that's partly true. But Matthews has Marner and Tavares and Nylander, creating room for him, too. You can't tell me that all the opponent's focus is on Matthews all the time, when they have to worry about those other three.

So up until THIS season, Draisaitl has simply been better than Matthews. Now it's finally "neck & neck". And soon, we can argue "Calder + Rocket vs. Art Ross + Lindsay + Hart" which ain't a bad argument, really.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
2018-2019:

Draisaitl 50 goals, 55 assists, 105 points
Panarin 28 goals, 59 assists, 87 points

2019-2020:
Draisaitl 43 goals, 67 assists, 110 points. Swept all the major awards
Panarin 32 goals, 63 assists, 95 points

2021:

Draisaitl 24 goals, 43 assists, 67 points
Panarin 17 goals, 39 assists, 56 points

Why exactly would we swap Draisaitl out for Panarin?
Panarin doesn’t have an 84 point player that’s in on 75% of his points...

Mar 26, 2010
Points > goals.

Matthews is 11th in ppg over the last 3 seasons. That is not the 2nd best player.
Goals > Points

Matthews is the best in the NHL. That is the 2nd best player in the world.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It’s really Barkov

Barkov isn't even top 10

In some order: McDavid/Drai/Mack/Kucherov/Hedman/Crosby/Matthews/Panarin/Kane/Marchand

Can probably come up with a list of 5 other names who are close to him.

Maybe if you try really, really hard - you can make a case for Barkov above 1 or 2 players I listed. That's still nowhere near 2nd place. He's not even top 2 in the state of Florida.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Another poll to show that MacKinnon is overrated. No major accolades, never hit 100 points, but the 2nd best player in the league...

Oh come on, over the last four seasons, MacKinnon has: 97 points in 74 games, 99 points in 82 games, 93 points in 69 games, and this year has 61 points in 44 games, which is a pace of 113 points over 82 games

MacKinnon is absolutely the second best player in the league after McDavid

Mar 26, 2010
Last 3 years Matthews has 3 more goals than Drai
Drai has 69 more points though.

69 points > 3 goals. That's like a McDavid to 4th liner gap.
If Matthews played with McDavid he would have 200 points a season. Draisaitl rides the coattails of McDavid.

Matthews is straight up the best goal scorer in the game today.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If Matthews played with McDavid he would have 200 points a season. Draisaitl rides the coattails of McDavid.

Matthews is straight up the best goal scorer in the game today.

Considering Gretzky in his peak couldn't do 200 points a season in today's era, we can sum up your post by:

"Matthews >> Gretzky"

Any chance you want to put that in your signature? Giving people a heads that that's your valuation of Matthews will likely avoid future arguments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad