2nd best player in the league!

Who is the 2nd best player in the league?

• Total voters

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
So are you seriously suggesting Matthews might be a better playmaker?

Is that what I wrote?
Is that what anyone wrote?

How much of an inferiority complex does one need to have in order to stretch out:

Well, his linemates have been:

Hyman
Marner
Thornton
Foligno

Nobody on that list is at risk of winning a Richard trophy!

Into:

"Matthews is a better playmaker".

Reactions: wetcoast

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Is that what I wrote?

How much of an inferiority complex does one need to have in order to stretch out:

Hyman
Marner
Thornton
Foligno

Into:

Well I’m sorry but I’m not sure what else you could have been implying based on my post you responded to

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is that what I wrote?

Hyman
Marner
Thornton
Foligno

Into:

The person he originally quoted said Matthews was better at every aspect of hockey than Draisaitl. So yes, the bolded claim was made.

Reactions: 4EDM14OIL93

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The person he originally quoted said Matthews was better at every aspect of hockey than Draisaitl. So yes, the bolded claim was made.
Yeah, well some people claim that they were abducted by aliens.

The fact is that Matthews hasn't ever had nearly as many assists as Draisaitl.

Whether that be because of linemates, or health, or whatever reason, the thing is he's never beaten Draisaitl in assists. He's never been particularly close.

We know he is a much better goal scorer, and I would argue better defensive player, but that's where the facts end.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Yes, Matthews does not McDavid holding his hand.

Matthews is also way better defensively.
Lmfao buddy Draisaitl is a better passer on his backhand than Matthews is on his forehand gtfo he's a better passer... Nostrils hasn't even surpassed 40 assists in a season and you're saying he's a better passer/ playmaker. Lunacy. Drai also outproduced and was a superior player to McDavid last year so I'm not exactly sure how McDavid is holding his hand. Do you think McDavid would be producing at the rate he is without Drai on that team? Not a f***in chance. Drai is the only player who consistently hits him in stride. You look at most of the ridiculous McDavid highlights and quite a few start off with a sublime pass from Drai.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Lmfao buddy Draisaitl is a better passer on his backhand than Matthews is on his forehand gtfo he's a better passer... Nostrils hasn't even surpassed 40 assists in a season and you're saying he's a better passer/ playmaker. Lunacy. Drai also outproduced and was a superior player to McDavid last year so I'm not exactly sure how McDavid is holding his hand. Do you think McDavid would be producing at the rate he is without Drai on that team? Not a f***in chance. Drai is the only player who consistently hits him in stride. You look at most of the ridiculous McDavid highlights and quite a few start off with a sublime pass from Drai.

See, and this is what is called a ridiculous take.
For those trashing Leafs fans for being Matthews fanboys, this is the exact equivalent on the Oilers' side!!!

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
See, and this is what is called a ridiculous take.
For those trashing Leafs fans for being Matthews fanboys, this is the exact equivalent on the Oilers' side!!!
What was ridiculous about it? He hasn't gotten 40 assists. And Drai was superior to McDavid last year. Media said he was and the NHL players he was as well. Good thing we have pcruz on here to tell us otherwise

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
What was ridiculous about it? He hasn't gotten 40 assists. And Drai was superior to McDavid last year. Media said he was and the NHL players he was as well. Good thing we have pcruz on here to tell us otherwise
Maybe....start off by not calling other players by "nostrils".
Just saying.

That automatically dismisses the entire post.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Maybe....start off by not calling other players by "nostrils".
Just saying.

That automatically dismisses the entire post.
Ok you can replace what I said with Matthews cause clearly you knew who I was talking about. Now you can answer my questions princess.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Forward depth absolutely helps MacK's production. Opposing teams can't just focus on shutting down MacK. And when you get waves of consistent pressure it helps MacK take advantage of mistakes. MacK plays alongside a much more talented roster, he absolutely benefits from that.
You don’t think opposing teams focus all their defensive effort on shutting down Mackinnon? You think they focus on shutting down Tyson Jost and Burakovsky so much that it cuts into their effort in shutting down Nathan Mackinnon? Give me a break. If anything your theory would prove that opposing teams focus all their energy in Edmonton on shutting down Mcdavid so much that it opens up Draisaitl to do what he wants.

It’s laughable that you think that the Avs depth gives Mackinnon more help than Mcdavid does to Draisaitl. Legitimately laughable.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
It’s laughable that you think that the Avs depth gives Mackinnon more help than Mcdavid does to Draisaitl. Legitimately laughable.
You are out to lunch. The aves roster gives MacK much more help than one player, McDavid, gives to Draisaitl. Its a team game after all. And even so Draisaitl is en route to significantly outproduce MacKinnon for the 3rd year in a row.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I like to evaluate league wide rankings on a player's 3 most recent seasons as it forces players to show things consistently rather than just a one off year where puck luck and unsustainable play can greatly influence opinion.

The 3 guys I think belong in the discussion at this point are Kucherov, Draisaitl, and Mackinnon. In Kucherov's case he hasn't played yet this season so you need to go back a 4th season to look at his numbers under this criteria. Obviously I understand some will bring up the North division argument, don't bother as I've already posted numbers in numerous threads that show the goals against numbers that each player faces in each division is negligible.
Here's what they look like:

Kucherov:
Past 3 seasons PPG (that he played): 1.25, 1.56, 1.25
Past 3 seasons GPG: 0.49, 0.5, 0.49
Total PPG over that time period: 1.36
Total GPG over that time period: 0.49

Draisaitl:
Past 3 seasons PPG: 1.28, 1.55, 1.45
Past 3 seasons GPG: 0.61, 0.61, 0.49
Total PPG over that time period: 1.42
Total GPG over that time period: 0.58

Mackinnon:
Past 3 seasons PPG: 1.21, 1.35, 1.4
Past 3 seasons GPG: 0.5, 0.51, 0.44
Total PPG over that time period: 1.3
Total GPG over that time period: 0.49

The up and comer is obviously Matthews and I think he will enter the discussion for #2 if he can replicate seasons like this one going forward, especially given his goal scoring prowess. As of right now his recent 3 seasons look like this:

Past 3 seasons PPG: 1.07, 1.14, 1.32
Past 3 seasons GPG: 0.54, 0.67, 0.81
Total PPG over that time period: 1.16
Total GPG over that time period: 0.66

I'm voting Draisaitl until someone else can show the same level of consistent point and goal scoring rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steven Toast

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I find it amusing that oiler fans want everyone to acknowledge that mcdavid is the best player and yet somehow they think he has no affect on drai's point totals.

This lack of logic is astounding.

Drai is an awesome player. But hes not 2nd.
Who said he has "no" affect? Clearly it boosts him, just like Matthews playing with Marner boosts him, and Mack with Rantanen.

Doesn't change that Drai was better than McDavid last year while sweeping all the awards and now hes still the second best point producer.

Hes very clearly in the conversation for #2 by about every metric

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Matthews > Draisaitl

It is not even debatable. Matthews is far superior in every aspect of the game. Draisaitl is nothing more than a by product of McDavid.
Every aspect? Why dont you list their awards and ACTUAL accomplishments for us, would you?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Is that what I wrote?

Hyman
Marner
Thornton
Foligno

Into:

The poster he was talking to earlier literally said Matthews is a better playmaker...

Mar 26, 2010
Draisaitl is nothing more than a free loaded off of McDavid. What a joke. Gtfo

Matthews is the best goal scorer in the world. He is a full 200 ft player.

Mar 14, 2011
1) McDavid
2) Kucherov; Scares me more than McDavid when his healthy and is on his game.
3) Draisaitl; logged more 5 vs 5 minutes this season with 3rd liners Kahun and Yamamoto than he does with McDavid yet his still putting up terrific numbers.
4) Matthews/MacK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad