Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Meier was meant to be a separate post however HFB automatically added to a previous post. The point is that is a pretty impressive stat for Meier.

View attachment 647258

IMO the cost to land Toews is worrisome. What makes you think it wouldn't cost much?

He’s a UFA to be and has a NMC and can influence where he wants to go.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Toews is okay but don't think he improves the bruins chances of winning cup.

IMO it's a risky move, Toews may disrupt existing chemistry and the cost is too much for Toews. Bruins will most likely need to give up a good draft pick, roster player (Frederik?), and decent prospect.

Hawk fans confirmed his speed, goal scoring, and play making has dropped significantly. Bruins have decent F/O players behind Bergeron. Toews is not worth a bunch of assets. Not worth the risk. Leverage the assets for something better.

View attachment 647253

Toews is on pace for 24 goals this year....that's the most goals he's scored since the 2018-2019 season. But hey, Hawks fans say his goal scoring has dropped significantly. I'm sorry but I put little stock in what CHI fans (actually most fans) think. Our own fanbase was shitting all over guys like DeBrusk and Foligno last year and now people are talking about how we should re-sign Foligno and that we need to get DeBrusk signed to an extension.

If Dom's assessment of a trade package is correct (1st + Lauko + Reilly) then are we really giving up a lot in assets?

-A late 1st has roughly a 30% chance of playing 100+ games in the NHL
-Lauko is a nice prospect (who I like), but he's likely a 3rd liner at his absolute best
-Reilly is dead cap space and moving him free's up money for next season (which we need)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Does Toews get you past Carolina? I’m not sure. Sweeney likes trading for term. You can say Bruins brought the Canes to seven. Sure. I’m not sure they can beat them. They need a fast big guy to bang some bodies because Carolina takes liberties. I don’t see Toews helping there. I also don’t see them getting Chychrun. Too expensive. There will be teams coming into play soon that we have to bid against.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Does Toews get you past Carolina? I’m not sure. Sweeney likes trading for term. You can say Bruins brought the Canes to seven. Sure. I’m not sure they can beat them. They need a fast big guy to bang some bodies because Carolina takes liberties. I don’t see Toews helping there. I also don’t see them getting Chychrun. Too expensive. There will be teams coming into play soon that we have to bid against.
I think toews helps. Id give a ton for him he rules. 1st + harrison. Hes really good. And off season bergeron insurance you can resign him if bergeron wants to retire hes a great slide in replacement for Pb

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I mean if we can't get back CAR without acquiring this big man with speed then I guess we should just be sellers at the deadline, no?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I mean if we can't get back CAR without acquiring this big man with speed then I guess we should just be sellers at the deadline, no?
Whatever….. Carolina is an obstacle. The match up doesn’t favor the B’s. That style they play is frustrating.

Reactions: Blowfish

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Guys obviously Toews would make us better. It's intellectually dishonest to say he wouldn't.

The question is would someone else make us even better, for a trade we can actually pull off. That's a totally valid line of questioning as we only have one 2023 1st, best use it optimally.

But come on, obviously Toews makes us better. He could play up and down the lineup in any injury situation we run into. He's going to be about as experienced a playoff guy as you could get. Let's at least be honest about his impact on a hockey team if we're talking about the bottom 6 somewhere.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He’s a UFA to be and has a NMC and can influence where he wants to go.
And he has a big cap hit bruins will have difficulty absorbing and the possibility of additional teams bidding for his services. Costly.

This !

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
And he has a big cap hit bruins will have difficulty absorbing and the possibility of additional teams bidding for his services. Costly.

This !
His cap hit isn’t that big and his cash owed is very low. It’s not that expensive to pay for him to be double retained if a willing participant can be found - typically a 5th.

You’re overselling the acquisition cost, especially given he has full control.

Reactions: Blowfish

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Most likely Sweeney is looking 1-2 yrs after this run in any trade. That might be delaying Pasta contract announcement.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Guys obviously Toews would make us better. It's intellectually dishonest to say he wouldn't.

The question is would someone else make us even better, for a trade we can actually pull off. That's a totally valid line of questioning as we only have one 2023 1st, best use it optimally.

But come on, obviously Toews makes us better. He could play up and down the lineup in any injury situation we run into. He's going to be about as experienced a playoff guy as you could get. Let's at least be honest about his impact on a hockey team if we're talking about the bottom 6 somewhere.
You can debate wither or not he helps or not but there is no debate that the cost for a declining 4th line center is worth it , I do not believe it is,,,,,,,,,,,

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You can debate wither or not he helps or not but there is no debate that the cost for a declining 4th line center is worth it , I do not believe it is,,,,,,,,,,,

Imagine thinking a center whose on pace for 24G/24A is a "declining 4th line center" .....especially when our current 3rd line center is on pace for 18G/27A and we're thinking this has been his best season as a Bruin.

Fun Fact - Coyle and Toews have the same amount of points this year. Only Toews has played 5 less games and with guys that most people have never heard of.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

I mean calling him a 4th line center doesn't make him one. I'll let you name the other 4th line center who will score 35g this year...

Where does Toews play if we acquire him?

Providence if you're to believe this thread, lol

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Everyone has it. Makes me wonder if Sweeney just isn't raising the price for his competitors

In today’s NHL rumors rundown, the Chicago Blackhawks are telling teams they’ll have only a limited window to prep for a Patrick Kane trade in the event they make the forward’s shortlist. Meanwhile, the Boston Bruins are getting on the Jakob Chychrun sweepstakes.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad