Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I really hope we can wrangle in Toews as our 4C......really he's our 3C because having him on the 4th line with Foligno is equal to almost every other team's 3rd line. If we can subtract Reilly as suggested above and pay with a 1st in 2023 or 2024 and Lauko, I'd do that deal tomorrow.

Smith is a guy I look to give away for a pick in the Western Conference. Should be able to net us a 3rd round pick.

Robert Bortuzzo would be a guy I'd look to get on the cheap as depth for the right side if Luke Schenn cost too much.

Last guy I'd look to grab is Jonah Gadjovich out of San Jose. Former 2nd round pick, good size, can toss the biscuits, has put up 40 goals in Junior but hasn't quite developed in the show. Was scoring at a good clip in the AHL before being called up. Could be a good 13th/14th forward depth pick up.

Marchy-Bergy-Debrusk
Zacha-Krejci-Pasta
Hall-Coyle-Frederic
Foligno-Toews-Nosek
Greer/Gadjovich/Wagner

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Clifton
Zboril-Bortuzzo

Ullmark
Swayman

That's a lot of depth
Giving away Smith costs you a third round pick, you are getting nothing for him. He has been waived and was available for free and no one wanted him.

Last edited:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
They need a bottom six center with speed and an offensive D that can shoot and run the PP. Some say we need a crease cleaner, which I understand. However, as I try to decide among the three options, I think, who will do the most for them in terms of production? That is the offensive d. We have either Chychrun or Klingberg. Take your choice.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He would be sharing key face-off duty with Bergeron. He doesn't have the speed to play ahead of Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle, Nosek/Frederik. He would also be playing PP unit 2.

I'm not a fan of landing Toews ... prefer to see assets for someone with term (I believe that is what Sweeney is looking for).
Do you add a player with term if you are paying Pasta 11m+ a year and have a number of spots to fill next year or get the best available UFA to win this year?

To me this team is built to win this year and you get the best player/players to help now regardless of contract status. If you lose Krecji and Bergeron next year you will have to push to make the playoffs with Zacha as one of your top two centers and who knows as the other (it is not Charlie Coyle).

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Giving away Smith costs you a third round pick, you are getting nothing for him. He has been waived and was available for free and no one wanted him.
Well things change the closer to the deadline you get. The 3 million dollar salary isn't as heavy for teams to take on. If Reilly goes as part of the Toews deal, Smith would likely go to a contender in the west who's looking to add some scoring depth on the 3rd line.......Smith doesn't fit the 3rd line here.

Reactions: bbfan419

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He would be sharing key face-off duty with Bergeron. He doesn't have the speed to play ahead of Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle, Nosek/Frederik. He would also be playing PP unit 2.

I'm not a fan of landing Toews ... prefer to see assets for someone with term (I believe that is what Sweeney is looking for).
Trading for Toews will turnout to be a horrible mistake............

Reactions: chizzler and lopey

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Well things change the closer to the deadline you get. The 3 million dollar salary isn't as heavy for teams to take on. If Reilly goes as part of the Toews deal, Smith would likely go to a contender in the west who's looking to add some scoring depth on the 3rd line.......Smith doesn't fit the 3rd line here.

No contender is doing the Bruins a favor by taking Smith and giving up a 3rd. Plenty of other "Smiths" in the league that can be acquired and not have to help out a team you're probably going to have to play in the SCF.

Your logic makes no sense.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They need a bottom six center with speed and an offensive D that can shoot and run the PP. Some say we need a crease cleaner, which I understand. However, as I try to decide among the three options, I think, who will do the most for them in terms of production? That is the offensive d. We have either Chychrun or Klingberg. Take your choice.

So do you play 7 D in postseason? Or are you benching Carlo/Cliffy, thus weakening your penalty kill, and defense in general?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Certainly not Klingberg. That’s bananaland. He’s been bad for a few years now, and even more horrific defensively.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm not a fan of giving our first rounder away if Toews is the return. Even if it includes burying some bad contracts as another element.
Yeah, I mean it'd be a real late 1st (hopefully) but I'd much prefer using it on a guy who would contribute this year and maybe going forward (is there an affordable extension for Toews?)

Reactions: NeelyDan

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This would mean Grz or Carlo would need to be traded.... I dont know. I just dont see it

I wouldnt be surprised if DS does little to nothing. And uses Debrusk return as a sparksplug (offense).... plus Reilly is eligible to play in the playoffs

Reilly is a decent offensive D. Except has a floater instead of a real slap shot

At the trade deadline:

Hoping for:
Barbashev and Chychrun

Decent chance instead:
Lafferty and Schenn

Not surprised If:
No moves made

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Tampa has no draft capital. I doubt they are going after the big free agents. Geez, that Hagel trade was expensive.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Certainly not Klingberg. That’s bananaland. He’s been bad for a few years now, and even more horrific defensively.
He is bad defensively, and more of a red flag, has been getting worse for about 2.5 years. I can still see a place for him here. Btw, watch the highlights of his last game against Dallas. He was all over the ice. He has definitely been putting in a half effort for the Ducks.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
So do you play 7 D in postseason? Or are you benching Carlo/Cliffy, thus weakening your penalty kill, and defense in general?
If it's Chychrun, a regular d definitely moves. If Klingberg, a d might not have to move, but Sweeney would be smart to do so and get something else, probably draft picks. Yes, this might weaken the d, but this is a chance I am willing to take.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah, I mean it'd be a real late 1st (hopefully) but I'd much prefer using it on a guy who would contribute this year and maybe going forward (is there an affordable extension for Toews?)

Toews will turn 35 in April. This would put him in a situation where he can do like Bergeron and take a lower cap hit with a bunch of bonuses that could be pushed to the following season.

3x Cup Champion
Face-off Ace
All-Situation Player

Toews is on pace for 48pts while having his most common linemates being Taylor Raddish and Philipp Kurashev. I'd pay a 1st to add fringe 50pt center that's a stud in the dot and knows what it takes to win a cup.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If it's Chychrun, a regular d definitely moves. If Klingberg, a d might not have to move, but Sweeney would be smart to do so and get something else, probably draft picks. Yes, this might weaken the d, but this is a chance I am willing to take.
I just don't get the allure of Klingberg at all. Or weakening the defense, for that matter.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
So to be clear, people want to trade a 1st, Lauko and Reilly+ (probably if a minimum of the market gets competitive) so that Toews can play something like 10 minutes a night on the 4th?

Look if that's what you want to give up for that, give up another really great prospect in the deal and go get something better and younger.

HOWEVER

If Toews agrees to the Bergy/Krejci special, and signs for 1M+2M Bonus next year, now you have my attention. Figgy also agrees to 1M+bonus, and have them on a 3rd line next year. Toews made a lot of money on that last deal. Might just be open to playing on a mega winner for 2 years before hanging them up. But for one year of Toews, I'd rather another deal (personally).

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I just don't get the allure of Klingberg at all. Or weakening the defense, for that matter.
There isn’t any allure. A couple ppl mentioned him for his pp abilities (not me). I’m out on him. I’d rather lots of players before I’d go near him. But who knows how he would look as a depth piece on a stacked team.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

The Boston Bruins were one of the many teams that made a serious push for Jakob Chychrun at the deadline last season. They ended up ending their pursuit after acquiring Hampus Lindholm from the Anaheim Ducks, but NHL insider Pierre LeBrun has now reported that Boston have once again entered the Chychrun sweepstakes.

It ultimately makes sense that the Bruins are looking to bring in Chychrun. After all, they just missed on Bo Horvat, so bringing in a star defenseman like Chychrun would be a sweet way to make up for it. Chychrun would be a notable upgrade over Matt Grzelcyk on the top pairing if acquired, and he would make Boston's top four look significantly better heading into the final stretch of the year.

Several teams are looking to acquire Chychrun, so there is no guarantee that the Bruins will be the lucky team to win the sweepstakes. Yet, if they have it their way, Chychrun will be sporting black and gold by March 3.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
So to be clear, people want to trade a 1st, Lauko and Reilly+ (probably if a minimum of the market gets competitive) so that Toews can play something like 10 minutes a night on the 4th?

Look if that's what you want to give up for that, give up another really great prospect in the deal and go get something better and younger.

HOWEVER

If Toews agrees to the Bergy/Krejci special, and signs for 1M+2M Bonus next year, now you have my attention. Figgy also agrees to 1M+bonus, and have them on a 3rd line next year. Toews made a lot of money on that last deal. Might just be open to playing on a mega winner for 2 years before hanging them up. But for one year of Toews, I'd rather another deal (personally).
I don’t have much interest in Toews in general, but I have less then zero interest in bringing him back next year. We need to get younger not older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad