Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I've seen it thrown out that since they were negotiating with Bertuzzi, there must have been a plan to fit him under the cap, contrary to the idea that the cap space just didn't exist. There's talk of all sorts of moves that Sweeney could make without really factoring in how Sweeney tends to work.

After 8 years, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on Sweeney's GM style.

At the draft, he's not worried about the consensus best available. For the most part, you're not going to see him draft prospects described as high skill players. He wants good skaters, with size, whose greatest value is often somewhere besides the scoresheet.

With trades, don't hold your breath waiting for them to happen besides a few times of year. He trades at two times during the year: the trade deadline and the draft/free agency. He has been the GM for 8 years and the only trades he's made outside that period besides AHL ones is the McQuaid deal in 2018. Any big deal is all about sending out futures, plus a salary dump to make the cap work. You're not going to see roster shakeup deals here.

The point of all of this is to say that he doesn't really take risks. He's not particularly creative. The best thing they could have done for next season was pull a Tampa or Vegas and go get an LTIRetired cap hit, but that's never seemed like something he would do. His style largely matches his bland personality.

He usually does the simplest thing possible. This year that meant trading/buying out players to create just enough cap space to re-sign RFAs and fill the rest of the roster with cheap $1-2M players. If you look at CapFriendly right now, they basically have just enough space (potentially with a little wiggle room for injuries) to re-sign Swayman and Frederic.

People ask what the plan is. Is it to rebuild? Is it to contend? I've never really seen Sweeney as someone with a master plan. It seems like he GMs in the present, not necessarily ignoring the future, but not really focusing on something like a 5 year plan either. What's the plan this year? To do as well as they possibly can, whatever that means. You hope lightning strikes twice and you get the same kind of puck luck as last season to overcome the drop in talent. You enter next offseason with a bunch more cap space and hope that not all of the top 6 C pending free agents extend before then.

So we all sit here hoping it works. Hoping that, no matter our own personal feelings, Jacobs' faith in Neely and Sweeney isn't misplaced.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They tried but I think similar to DeBrusk they have high hopes and didn’t get the right deal for him

I think he should stop whining and go out and pot 30 this year
When was Lauko “whining”?

I've seen it thrown out that since they were negotiating with Bertuzzi, there must have been a plan to fit him under the cap, contrary to the idea that the cap space just didn't exist. There's talk of all sorts of moves that Sweeney could make without really factoring in how Sweeney tends to work.

At the draft, he's not worried about the consensus best available. For the most part, you're not going to see him draft prospects described as high skill players. He wants good skaters, with size, whose greatest value is often somewhere besides the scoresheet.

With trades, don't hold your breath waiting for them to happen besides a few times of year. He trades at two times during the year: the trade deadline and the draft/free agency. He has been the GM for 8 years and the only trades he's made outside that period besides AHL ones is the McQuaid deal in 2018. Any big deal is all about sending out futures, plus a salary dump to make the cap work. You're not going to see roster shakeup deals here.

The point of all of this is to say that he doesn't really take risks. He's not particularly creative. The best thing they could have done for next season was pull a Tampa or Vegas and go get an LTIRetired cap hit, but that's never seemed like something he would do. His style largely matches his bland personality.

He usually does the simplest thing possible. This year that meant trading/buying out players to create just enough cap space to re-sign RFAs and fill the rest of the roster with cheap $1-2M players. If you look at CapFriendly right now, they basically have just enough space (potentially with a little wiggle room for injuries) to re-sign Swayman and Frederic.

People ask what the plan is. Is it to rebuild? Is it to contend? I've never really seen Sweeney as someone with a master plan. It seems like he GMs in the present, not necessarily ignoring the future, but not really focusing on something like a 5 year plan either. What's the plan this year? To do as well as they possibly can, whatever that means. You hope lightning strikes twice and you get the same kind of puck luck as last season to overcome the drop in talent. You enter next offseason with a bunch more cap space and hope that not all of the top 6 C pending free agents extend before then.

So we all sit here hoping it works. Hoping that, no matter our own personal feelings, Jacobs' faith in Neely and Sweeney isn't misplaced.
This just seems like he doesn’t do what you want him to do. To say he doesn’t have a plan is ridiculous.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Grab Zadina f/a Chezk Place him with Pasta and Zacha and watch the magic

Zadina please
His metrics say he's doing the right thing out there mostly, too. I think, for some guys, getting all amped up and overly involved doesn't necessarily make them better players. Zacha is an example, even. The less attention paid to him, the better; I think that's Zadina too

You think he's specifically hinting at B's, or just in general has heard about something in the pipeline?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'd be shocked if CHI or ARI didn't grab Zadina. Arizona really surprisingly is ok at wing, but they'll take a free asset.

Reactions: TCB

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
White and jessie p for me bang for the buck is jessie p. You never know he finds it.

These are the two I would try; see if they take a 1year/1million contract to prove themselves. Maybe you get a young third line right winger and fourth line center out of the deal. Should leave enough to sign Freddy & Swayman and roll with it.

Marchand-Zacha-Pasta
DeBrusk-Coyle-JVR
Frederic-Geekie-JP
Lucic-White-Lauko

Gryz-Mac
LIndholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk

Ullmark
Swayman

Not ideal, but probably good enough to get you to the dance as a lower seed. With a very little cap flexibility for a deadline addition.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
These are the two I would try; see if they take a 1year/1million contract to prove themselves. Maybe you get a young third line right winger and fourth line center out of the deal. Should leave enough to sign Freddy & Swayman and roll with it.

Marchand-Zacha-Pasta
DeBrusk-Coyle-JVR
Frederic-Geekie-JP
Lucic-White-Lauko

Gryz-Mac
LIndholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk

Ullmark
Swayman

Not ideal, but probably good enough to get you to the dance as a lower seed. With a very little cap flexibility for a deadline addition.
Pool Party is having double hip surgery

Reactions: pearljamvs5 and SPV

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC

So he can’t draft replacement C’s and cant make a trade for them due to no money or assets and it’s just chalked up to his “GM Style”?

The home run obvious picks and HOF quality players that were already here have created a career for Sweeney as gm. When you are at a point where posters are saying Bergy and DK half a year removed from hockey coming back before the TDL is the best move or something other teams would be weary of you are no longer a serious team imo.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I'd be shocked if CHI or ARI didn't grab Zadina. Arizona really surprisingly is ok at wing, but they'll take a free asset.
I'm surprised no one would give up any kind of asset for him. He's only making 1.8 for the next two years. He will be turning 24, but dam this kid was a scoring machine back at the WJ. Still remember him saying he was going to make teams pay for passing him up at the draft.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
What's with Lauko? Is his trade request still in effect or with the likelihood of regular playing time in the NHL this year is he cool now? Assuming they even work out an RFA contract.
When did Lauko make a public trade request? Link?

Lauko is a key part of the club for next season imo

When he was on the ice. The Bruins had a winning record. Lucky charm

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
they better pray bergeron comes back or they swing a massive trade with calgary
I was just reading yesterday about Calgary and how everyone wants out of calgary. It's strange. I get the Daryl Sutter business. But this is after sutter. I've heard that the saddle dome is kind of a joke broken down. I'm not sure what the other reasons might be but it is odd.

Reactions: TCB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I am not sure they want or should trade Forbort . Trading him at the Dead line if they are not a playoff team is when he will have more value . I am not sure Gryz would have more value at the dead line . I think now is the time to trade Gryz and replace him with Zboril. Zboril replacing Gryz puts him in a far better situation to succeed . Than replacing Forbort ,who along with Carlo are your primary PK guys. If you can limit the time spent on the PK for McAvoy and Lindholm you need to.
Sorry to be a meanie, but Zboril is a bust. He's been giving plenty of opportunities he has not panned out. The guy was drafted in 2015. It is 2023. Do the math.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Waiting on Bergy and Krejci in-season and counting down to the deadline to sign them reminds me way too much of Gronk in 2019 when we just took for granted that he'd come back until he didn't and that team went out with a whimper and a malcontent at QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad