HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Who do I trust more, the front offices of multiple NHL organizations who have scouted, interviewed and have pertinent information on Michkov or Kaladin on HFboards who has never spoken to him, likely hasn’t seen a single KHL game and doesn’t know anything about the actual situation? Tough one.
Front offices also had more information on Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, and Kucherov back during the "Russian factor" scare of the early 2010s.

Reactions: JAVO16 and Kaladin

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Lots of posts about picking boring 2nd line centers over Quebec's version of Patrick Kane.
Would have been fun to see the meltdown!

I would pick Leonard over Michkov, but I will be very happy with either one of them. I think Leonard is underrated.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You mean the exact same situation in which we’ve had multiple Russian players come over this summer? Including the top Russian picked last year? But sure michkov’s living in an alternate reality Russia to these other Russian prospects.
Non-important Russian players? Same thing as their next potential superstar, right? No interest at all in holding him in Russia I’d imagine.

Reactions: Vachon23

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Non-important Russian players? Same thing as their next potential superstar, right? No interest at all in holding him in Russia I’d imagine.

If the government has any interest in Michkov, it's as an economic weapon. All that cash Michkov will make will likely come back into the Russian economy.

Also, why is ge allowed to come to the draft? Shouldn't he be gagged and strapped to a chair?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm pretty sure they have more important stuff to focus on.
Alright then I guess Sanny and Kaladin on HF have some vital information that these NHL teams should listen to.

It’s also funny to see people irritated by a situation that hasn’t even happened yet. Already mad that the team hasn’t selected him when the draft is a week away.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Alright then I guess Sanny and Kaladin on HF have some vital information that these NHL teams should listen to.

It’s also funny to see people irritated by a situation that hasn’t even happened yet. Already mad that the team hasn’t selected him when the draft is a week away.
I think we have no idea which way the team is leaning because the organization is actually pretty good at playing things close to the chest.

I'd just say the risk is well worth it at 5.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yes most talented player of one’s you are sure will come over. If you’re not 100% on Michkov coming over, he’s not an option.
There are risks with most draft picks. But some risks are bigger than others. If you believe that Michkov is a transformational player and your intel provides you with a reasonable level of comfort as to this player’s intentions, then you take the risk. But those are a lot of assumptions. As they say in the NFL: Availability is the greatest ability. To this writer, I take a hard pass and just take Leonard and the certainty he brings and devote my efforts and attention on making sure we maximize picks 31 and 37. There are a number of excellent players who will be available in this draft between 25 and 40. We are in a very enviable position in a very deep draft. I’ve posted before the players who I hope we draft. Keep it simple and smart and we can walk away with 3 future core players.

Last edited:
Reactions: rochab and le_sean

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
I agree with Scott Wheeler, in thinking that Samuel Mayer, (D Petes) is worthy of a pickup. Big, physical d who had a great year. Good end up being a good 5-6 guy.

Reactions: badnova

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I don’t know how to say it but the Habs will not pick a D with their top pick, stop the non sense with Reinbacher, solid D but the F crop is just too talented.

HABS WILL NOT PICK A D
Use a bigger font and they may listen to you.

• Haha
Reactions: MasterMatt25

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Sure, but he wasn't. If he were born in Russia and signed to a 3 year extension in Russia and NHL teams hadn't been able to scout him for 2 years, and he hadn't played internationally for 2 years he would not necessarily be the obvious pick, and that's the world we actually live in. I still want him but I think it's reductive to view this as a complete no-brainer.

It's like when people say Hutson would have gone top 10 if he were 6'2. OK, but he's not, so you have to evaluate the player where he's at.
I actually first thought it was me that wrote that because it’s exactly what I was going to say while using the size exemple

Reactions: JoelWarlord

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That'd be quite swell.

Minnetian is awesome. I love how relentless he is on every single shift. Also, I feel like whoever actually scouted Terrance should have him much earlier than #69. Poor kid was stuck in a shit hole of a team.

Terrance really flashed playing at the U18s.. really really like his frame and skill-set.

Minnetian is also someone I ranked highly because I think he's poised for a breakout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad