HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
New Thread.

Too much Slafkovsky talk going on. That is NOT the topic of this thread. It is a discussion about prospects for the 2023 NHL draft.

If you can't stay on topic, your post will be deleted and you'll get a warning for thread derailment.

No personal attacks either. Everyone has their opinion, and everyone can be wrong. No one has perfect information.

The draft lottery Monday, May 8th will finally tell us what Montreal's draft spot will be.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I think we throw around the terms low and high hockey IQ too loosely when evaluating players.

Young players often get caught puck watching and reacting and are deemed to be low IQ when as a matter of fact, it's just lack of experience. This is why not skipping levels is so important.

Some players have strong anticipation skills in the defensive end, but poor offensive awareness and vice versa. Yet they're deemed low/high IQ.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Soon we'll have our list of guys to focus on marginally narrowed down.

Also, I can't help but notice the lack of PLD talk in this thread👀

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mrb1p

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
If we stay at #5, I hope Mitchkov won't be available, I won't be able to take it, if we pass on him, and he has a bright future...
1530390051-rnld.png

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Honzek vs Edström, discuss.
Winger vs center, but thats an interesting case since both players have good size and alot of room to fullfil their frame, unlike a kid like Barlow who seems to be closer to his peak.

I would say Edstrom is the better rounded player at this point while Honzek might have a little more offensive upside. If the Florida pick is late 1st, there is a possibility 1 or even 2 of them are still on board, it would be an homerun swing in both cases IMO.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Great question. Will either be there in the 30's? I get the feeling a team might fall in love with Honzek between 10-20 because it feels like he just needs to put it all together (but we have seen that story before). Still I would take Honzek first... unfortunately I think that means the Laffs have to stop admiring how great they are and start playing desperate hockey.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Anton Wahlberg

What do we think about him? Really liked him at the U18

Reactions: Marc-E-

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
:teach2: FYI it's Michkov, like in Michel Therrien and not Mitchkov like in Mitchell Marner.
Russian transliteration varies a lot depending on the language you're transliterating it to. In French, the cyrillic letter "ч" is transliterated as "tch", hence why we have Tchaikovsky instead of Chaikovsky. If we were to use the international standard, it would be "Matvej Mičkov"

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its Honzek all day, his offensive vision is very good and he has some very interesting tool, just like the one that should not be named, he owns a physical package that is just overwhelming for defenders, couple that with hands and (wink wink, actual good vision, lol) and you get quite a prospect.

Just like But though, the lack of shot is alarming.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Anton Wahlberg

What do we think about him? Really liked him at the U18
Power foward, dominant along the boards, very good hands, good passing and shooting skills, there is alot of potential there as well, would be a great late 1st round pick or an amazing early 2nd.

Brindley, Edstrom, Honzek, Wahlberg, Strbak, Willander at least one will drop to the Florida pick and possibly even to our early 2nd.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
@ReHabs

Sorry i can't quote your previous post in the former thread but i want to add.

First of all, if there is a nuclear war we could draft f***ing Justin Bieber with our 5th pick that it would be the least of my worries. Luckily and realistically, there won't be one.

Now concerning the poor production of Dvorsky, you insist a lot about production and i do agree at some point. The thing is, and its even stronger for European teenager in a pro league, production is a single variable in a complex equation.

In 2020, Alexander Holtz had 7 goals in 3 games in the J20 (7-2-9) and he had 16 points, 9 goals in 35 SHL games.

Luckily, Detroit drafted a guy who had the Slafkovsky production without the stellar international play and without the mammoth size. (3-11 in 9 J20 games and 4-6 in 33 SHL games). 3 spots before Holtz.

Today, Lucas Raymond is a building block in Detroit and Holtz is rapidly trending toward bust territory. And its just one example out of many.

Its too simple to discredit Dvorsky (or Sale for example, or another big Slovakian) for his, i recognise, subpar production in the Allvenskan, especially with what he did in the J20 and the U18 where his peers were not even close to him.

I re-insist, production is an important variable. But in a much more complex equation.

Finally, I will side with the Habs decision on Michkov either side because he is such an obvious pick that if they don't pick him, i think we can safely speculate that there is major concern.

Have a nice sunday, and lets hope we win the lottery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doublechin

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Its too simple to discredit Dvorsky (or Sale for example) for his, i recognise, subpar production in the Allvenskan, especially with what he did in the J20 and the U18 where his peers were not even close to him.
In the context of the Habs and our dire need for point production, I think Dvorsky’s subpar league production disqualifies him. It’s basically a matter of thresholds and risk appetite — there is no right answer here and we’ll only know if anything works out much later

I’m just as critical of the notion of drafting Reinbacher for instance.

We need a point producing forward, simply put!

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
In the context of the Habs and our dire need for point production, I think Dvorsky’s subpar league production disqualifies him. It’s basically a matter of thresholds and risk appetite — there is no right answer here and we’ll only know if anything works out much later

I’m just as critical of the notion of drafting Reinbacher for instance.

We need a point producing forward, simply put!
We completely agree on the need. We disagree on who fills it ◉⁠‿⁠◉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad