HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Those same serious journalists also stated Hughes is hard to tell. So if we don't 100% believe the pundits, who admit Hughes is hard to decypher, then we're silly? I re-iterate, go look in the mirror.
Yes, that’s why they don’t say it’s 100% sure they pass but that’s their impression with the infos they get. No, it can’t be ignored when most are saying basically the same thing. It’s silly to assume one way or another. They still can take him and some of the other options aren’t necessarily a reach if not.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I won’t do the teams bidding. I‘m not a fan of propping up subpar prospects as part of a PR campaign.
If you think that tier of prospects is subpar, then there’s nothing we can say that will convince you otherwise. Feel free to follow Michkov and cheer for his team.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
I won’t do the teams bidding. I‘m not a fan of propping up subpar prospects as part of a PR campaign.
Lol exactly. The PR campaign has already worked in here. People acknowledge michkov is better but are okay with habs not picking him. Why? Hold our management to higher standards. Don’t pre excuse their terrible decision.

If you think that tier of prospects is subpar, then there’s nothing we can say that will convince you otherwise. Feel free to follow Michkov and cheer for his team.
Literally all the scouts polled by Bob consider that tier of prospects subpar to the top 5 lol. You act like it’s crazy for us to think so.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Saxon

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I want pure skill in Michkov, but after watching the SCF I have to admit that Leonard is sounding more and more enticing.

We need heart and soul guys that give it 100% all the time and can scrap and bang and grind it out in the playoffs. Just get us to the 28th damnit so we know what we are getting.
Leonard is more than just a ‘heart and soul’ player. He’s one of the best skaters in this draft class and will be a top 6 player on any team he plays for. While there have been hundreds of pages dedicated to whom we will be taking at 5OA, in this very deep draft, who we select at 31 and 37 may, collectively, play a more determining and contributing role to the team’s future success than who we pick it at 5OA.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Half the scouts BobbyMac sourced had Michkov top 4.

I think you're all as blinded as anyone else. You just chose to believe one outcome is more likely based on speculation and act as if it's even ridiculous to not fall for all the speculation, which is laughable in of itself.

No pundit knows what Hughes is really up to and I'd be disappointed if any did.

Also, maybe also consider several pundits have said Hughes is playing really close to the chest, but sure we know just what he'll do right? Or else we're silly? Maybe you outta take a look in the mirror.

I tend to agree with this. There's as much speculation in regards to both decisions to draft or not draft him. I can't say with certainty the team won't draft. I think it seems likely they don't, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they did. Hughes is both easy and hard to read depending on the situation, which is I guess one of the many reasons why Gorton wants him. He'd definitely fleece me in trades if I was a GM lmao.

I sound like Dreger and I feel dirty.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Leonard is more than just a ‘heart and soul’ player. He’s one of the best skaters in this draft class and will be a top 6 player on any team he plays for. While there have been hundreds of pages dedicated to whom will be taking at 5OA, in this very deep draft, who we select at 31 and 37 may, collectively, play a more determining and contributing role to the team’s future success than who we pick it at 5OA.

He's a great athlete with compete, smarts and skills. I gave the Deadmarsh comparison, but maybe Landeskog is more apt.

I also think people here would have lost their minds if they picked Landeskog over Huberdeau or Couturier in 2011.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Literally all the scouts polled by Bob consider that tier of prospects subpar to the top 5 lol. You act like it’s crazy for us to think so.
But we are picking in that tier. What is so hard to understand? He’s not an option for the team so people need to stop bitching and moaning about it.

It’s like the people that still whine that Slafkovsky was the #1 pick. You have to work within the parameters of the draft and that’s who was available. There’s no sense crying that a McDavid wasn’t available, it’s stupid.

Reactions: Habsrule

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
He's a great athlete with compete, smarts and skills. I gave the Deadmarsh comparison, but maybe Landeskog is more apt.

I also think people here would have lost their minds if they picked Landeskog over Huberdeau or Couturier in 2011.
Landeskog was maybe the fourth or fifth best player on the Colorado Stanley cup winning team. Where we getting those first four guys if not in one of the most hyped drafts in years?
But we are picking in that tier. What is so hard to understand? He’s not an option for the team so people need to stop bitching and moaning about it.

It’s like the people that still whine that Slafkovsky was the #1 pick. You have to work within the parameters of the draft and that’s who was available. There’s no sense crying that a McDavid wasn’t available, it’s stupid.
Terrible comparison.

The more apt comparison would be if a Russian Kucherov was available in the Slaf draft. And the habs pretended he didn’t exist and picked Slaf because that’s “who was available” in their and your mind. Only for that seemingly invisible super skilled Russian player to suddenly become available to the team that picks not too long after you. Like what fantasy land are you conjuring in your head where michkov doesn’t exist. There are posters in here, wtk being one, that still bitch and moan about bergevin/Timmins picks years later.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Terrible comparison.

The more apt comparison would be if a Russian Kucherov was available in the Slaf draft. And the habs pretended he didn’t exist and picked Slaf because that’s “who was available” in there and your mind. Only for that seemingly invisible super skilled Russian player to suddenly become available to the team that picks not too long after you. Like what fantasy land are you conjuring in your head where michkov doesn’t exist. There are posters in here, wtk being one, that still bitch and moan about bergevin/Timmins picks years later.
Who do I trust more, the front offices of multiple NHL organizations who have scouted, interviewed and have pertinent information on Michkov or Kaladin on HFboards who has never spoken to him, likely hasn’t seen a single KHL game and doesn’t know anything about the actual situation? Tough one.

Reactions: Vachon23

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
Who do I trust more, the front offices of multiple NHL organizations who have scouted, interviewed and have pertinent information on Michkov or Kaladin on HFboards who has never spoken to him, likely hasn’t seen a single KHL game and doesn’t know anything about the actual situation? Tough one.
Real amusing take big guy.

Were you a fan of the habs draft picks under Timmins? That was a nhl front office. How about the front offices of all the teams that have drafted terribly over the last few years? They must be good because they are nhl organizations right?

The team that picks michkov in this draft, likely at 7th or 8th overall at worst will be a NHL front office too. You should inform them they are about to make a terrible choice too. All the nhl scouts seem to agree he’s too 5 talent wise. Which means only Russian and contract concerns are swaying these front offices that skip on him. And anyone can evaluate that and say that’s dumb to skip on him based on that.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
They didn't have any of these three or four guys when they drafted Landeskog.
They went on to continue to suck though. If you really think habs will have another top 5 pick next year I don’t know what to tell you. This is the bottom of our rebuild cycle. It’s up from here.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015

As a fan, it is annoying to hear management say they will take the most talented player available and then clearly and obviously not do so. It is also annoying to hear people try to rationalize this and say "but actually, if you just squint really hard, Leonard IS the BPA". I'm fine with admitting we will not be taking the BPA, but it's also within my right as a fan to be justifiably disappointed in that decision.

This is coming from someone that actually values Leonard above someone like Smith. He is the kind of player I enjoy watching play, he just wouldn't be my first selection if I was GM of the Montreal Canadiens. This a hockey discussion board after all.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Real amusing take big guy.

Were you a fan of the habs draft picks under Timmins? That was a nhl front office. How about the front offices of all the teams that have drafted terribly over the last few years? They must be good because they are nhl organizations right?

The team that picks michkov in this draft, likely at 7th or 8th overall at worst will be a NHL front office too. You should inform them they are about to make a terrible choice too. All the nhl scouts seem to agree he’s too 5 talent wise. Which means only Russian and contract concerns are swaying these front offices that skip on him. And anyone can evaluate that and say that’s dumb to skip on him based on that.
Your mistake is equating bad selections to passing on a complex situation. Your comparison makes no sense. This isn’t a “I’m picking Kotkaniemi over a better player because I need a centre”

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I might have already asked, but @Goldenhands what are your thoughts on Michkov, strictly hockey speaking
I havent been watching the Russians this year, my last viewing of Michkov is 2 yrs ago at the WJC where he looked like a young phenom offensively. The talent level is obviously really high with Michkov, but I cant comment on the details of his game personally.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
As a fan, it is annoying to hear management say they will take the most talented player available and then clearly and obviously not do so. It is also annoying to hear people try to rationalize this and say "but actually, if you just squint really hard, Leonard IS the BPA". I'm fine with admitting we will not be taking the BPA, but it's also within my right as a fan to be justifiably disappointed in that decision.

This is coming from someone that actually values Leonard above someone like Smith. He is the kind of player I enjoy watching play, he just wouldn't be my first selection if I was GM of the Montreal Canadiens. This a hockey discussion board after all.
Yes most talented player of one’s you are sure will come over. If you’re not 100% on Michkov coming over, he’s not an option.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA

Can you imagine them if we had picked Lindholm, Monahan or Horvat over Drouin in 2013. End of Habs HFBoards…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad