HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
this is just copium. Leonard’s a great prospect but if matvei was born in Canada and named Matthew Mitchel he is the obvious pick

Everyone would be able to scout him properly too. He would have played at all the major tournaments. He wouldn't have signed a professional contract at 15 that commits him to another pro league for 3 years post-draft. There wouldn't be all this political conversations around it.

He would just be another kid like Bedard, Fantilli & Carlsson. There's much more to it than, "he's Russian".

Pretending to ignore that doesn't change anything about Michkov's circumstances.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Screenshot-2023-05-21-at-22-55-30-CHL---USHL-2022_23-Scatters-and-Bars-1.png

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Because if you saw the rankings everyone in the top 5 got multiple 2nd, 3rd and 4th place votes. None of the top 5 got a 6th place vote. This tells you the scouting community considers the top 5 to be a different tier vs the players 6th onwards.

Pretty obvious to be honest.
Mckenzie said Leonard, Reinbacher or even Dvorsky could be taken at 5 if Michkov is not in play.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah Habs fans just need to look at the draft as if Michkov isn’t there. He just doesn’t seem to be an option for the team.

Realistically that leaves one of:

Leonard
Reinbacher
Dvorsky

Leonard ranked slightly higher but the other 2 are playing premium positions and this counts for GMs when players are in the same tier.

I'm starting to think that Dvorsky could be the pick.

Reactions: Goldenhands

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Yeah Habs fans just need to look at the draft as if Michkov isn’t there. He just doesn’t seem to be an option for the team.
It’s sad because he’s good and all but people who still think there’s a big chance of Michkov are a bit blinded.

If Mckenzie says there’s players he wouldn’t be surprised if they go 5 instead of Michkov it’s because it’s known that there’s a big chance Michkov is slipping.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Arizona is picking Leonard before Reinbacher 100x outta 100.

With Keller and Cooley they needs powerforward much more than D

Leonard will be gone at 5, unless Reinbacher goes 5, in which case Arizona will likely take Leonard/Dvorsky. But they need D as badly as anything else.

Rumors are that Arizona is absolutely bonkers in love with Reinbacher.

You besmirched my honour sir. I demand satisfaction!

Is it a real thing to have a power forward under 6’?
Who else fits that profile?

I've got you penciled in for high noon.

this is just copium. Leonard’s a great prospect but if matvei was born in Canada and named Matthew Mitchel he is the obvious pick

OK but Matvei Michkov isn't born in Canada. He's a Russian prospect with 0 live viewings for 2 years, who signed a 5 year extension 2 years ago which calls into question his desire to be in the NHL, he's someone with alleged character concerns over how he interacts with his coaches and teammates, he's an extension risk, he has the ability to stay in the KHL for as long as he wants if he doesn't go to the team he wants to go to, and he's in the midst of a geopolitical scenario which can certainly get even worse over the next 3 years.

You can't just erase the entire risk profile of a player.

Gracyn Sawchyn is probably going to have a big year next year.

Yes and we should be picking him at 31 or 37.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Sure, but he wasn't. If he were born in Russia and signed to a 3 year extension in Russia and NHL teams hadn't been able to scout him for 2 years, and he hadn't played internationally for 2 years he would not necessarily be the obvious pick, and that's the world we actually live in. I still want him but I think it's reductive to view this as a complete no-brainer.

It's like when people say Hutson would have gone top 10 if he were 6'2. OK, but he's not, so you have to evaluate the player where he's at.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It’s sad because he’s good and all but people who still think there’s a big chance of Michkov are a bit blinded.

If Mckenzie says there’s players he wouldn’t be surprised if they go 5 instead of Michkov it’s because it’s known that there’s a big chance Michkov is slipping.
Half the scouts BobbyMac sourced had Michkov top 4.

I think you're all as blinded as anyone else. You just chose to believe one outcome is more likely based on speculation and act as if it's even ridiculous to not fall for all the speculation, which is laughable in of itself.

No pundit knows what Hughes is really up to and I'd be disappointed if any did.

Also, maybe also consider several pundits have said Hughes is playing really close to the chest, but sure we know just what he'll do right? Or else we're silly? Maybe you outta take a look in the mirror.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Mrb1p

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Half the scouts BobbyMac sourced had Michkov top 4.

I think you're all as blinded as anyone else. You just chose to believe one outcome is more likely based on speculation and act as if it's even ridiculous to not fall for all the speculation, which is laughable in of itself.

No pundit knows what Hughes is really up to and I'd be disappointed if any did.
No one actually 100% know for sure but there’s one thing every serious journalists who covers the habs say, is that Michkov is not likely.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
No one actually 100% know for sure but there’s one thing every serious journalists who covers the habs say, is that Michkov is not likely.

Those same serious journalists also stated Hughes is hard to tell. So if we don't 100% believe the pundits, who admit Hughes is hard to decypher, then we're silly? I re-iterate, go look in the mirror.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You besmirched my honour sir. I demand satisfaction!

Is it a real thing to have a power forward under 6’?
Who else fits that profile?
Dustin Brown - listed at 6', but wouldn't be surprised if Leonard is later listed at 6'0

T.J. Oshie

Timo Meier

Mike Richards

Rick Tocchet

Cal Clutterbuck ? Weak example, but was looking good at one point for Minnesota.

Ryan Hartman

They're all new school PF except Tocchet.

I'm sure there's more at, or below 6'0.

New age power forward just needs to score, hit and be a menace on the forecheck.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
If the habs believe one of their strenght is having MSL working with our young players I can see them being really turned off by Michkov , plus all the geopolitical stuff.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
I want Michkov, but I’d be fine with Leonard/Benson whoever. The only highly ranked player I don’t really want is Dvorsky. He might turn out great but not that interested in a questionable offensive upside pick at 5.

Reactions: Tutu to

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I won’t do the teams bidding. I‘m not a fan of propping up subpar prospects as part of a PR campaign.

Reactions: Kaladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad