HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Any team that pick Michkov will need the ok of there owner
Exactly, when Milbury overruled his amateur draft team who wanted Heatley then Gaborik to pick DiPietro he did it with Charles Wang’s blessing. Same when Garth Snowe went rogue he needed Wang to sign off on it.

Reactions: Vachon23

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
If it’s true then they are wildly inconsistent. Sounds like Basu is doing the typical Habs PR spin for them already so they have excuses ready for picking an inferior prospect. I can’t believe we finally might have a chance at drafting a 1OA talent and we are going to pass based on politics.

For f***sakes, why did I choose this team as my favourite as a small child.
When I listen or read Basu's peices he sounds like he doesn't know a thing about what the Habs are going to do and is selling his own person opinion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If it’s true then they are wildly inconsistent. Sounds like Basu is doing the typical Habs PR spin for them already so they have excuses ready for picking an inferior prospect. I can’t believe we finally might have a chance at drafting a 1OA talent and we are going to pass based on politics.

For f***sakes, why did I choose this team as my favourite as a small child.
I know it doesn’t make it any better but if Michkov is the 2nd best talent in the draft, shouldn’t he be gone by the time the Habs’ turn to select comes up?

And if he isn’t, are those drafting teams ahead of the Habs, also picking inferior prospects?

What reality do all of those teams share that would have them do exactly what some pundits are claiming the Habs will do?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Terrance really flashed playing at the U18s.. really really like his frame and skill-set.

Minnetian is also someone I ranked highly because I think he's poised for a breakout.

Terrance is a good kid. He’ll play in the NHL, he has enough skill, he has the frame (will only get bigger and stronger) and he’s got a great character. My boss is a family friend of his.

Hoping we draft him.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Also don't forget his assessment of Wright's game long before his poor playoff performance. @Goldenhands is the man!
I just watched him from the start of the season and couldnt buy the hype. I hadnt watched Wright at 15 and didnt watch his u18 either though so I had 0 bias good or bad entering his draft year. I wanted him to show me what he was made of and tried to give him the benefit of the doubt after missing a full year due to COVID, but he failed to prove me he was worth a high pick. I criticized his flaws severely, but I think it was fully justified. Not sure if he lost his motivation at some point, COVID has been very rough for alot of people, but you just cant risk a 1st OV on a kid who showed so little drive in his draft year.

Thanks for the good words anyway, appreciated.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
honestly, if you're correct, like you were about slaf, I will have to pay closer attention to what you say regarding the draft. especially if they go reinbacher.

He's been making very good calls for years on players who didn't have the hype here. Never succumbed to peer pressure as we would relentlessly try to make him drop his studs for our busts.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The other thing about taking Reinbacher is that he, if he reaches his potential would put the D in a very nice place.

This draft has a lot of good forwards, so the Habs could take Reinbacher and then focus on forwards at 31, 37 and 69th.

I'm sure the Habs would want another 1st.

Musty is a guy who could go late teens, or in the 30s. He has some solid potential, at least EP seems to think so.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I know it doesn’t make it any better but if Michkov is the 2nd best talent in the draft, shouldn’t he be gone by the time the Habs’ turn to select comes up?

And if he isn’t, are those drafting teams ahead of the Habs, also picking inferior prospects?

What reality do all of those teams share that would have them do exactly what some pundits are claiming the Habs will do?
Also all the teams drafting early just made historic tank attempts in hopes for a small percent lottery shot at Bedard. Hilarious that anyone would think they'd now pass up on Michkov if he's the 2nd best prospect and far superior than what's left on the table after Bedard.

Reactions: Gravity

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Maybe he has said that, I haven’t heard that myself, I’ve often heard him say what I wrote tho - and also around the combine and after draft lottery.

Either way, I think he means they are looking for a lot of things beyond just ‘talent’
You can read in the link below what Hughes had to say during his combine media availability, where the quote from that tweet came from, if you want to read it for yourself. Now what being most talented player really means to Hughes and the Habs scouts is another story.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and McGees

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Things are happening in Russia currently (Politically) could be nothing could be game changing in a week.

If it becomes something maybe Michkov stays in NA?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Drouin does not have more talent than Brady Tkachuk. I've been calling Drouin a no talent bum for years and I've never worried for even a moment that it would blow up in my face.
Indeed — just because he’s bad defensively and inconsistent doesn’t make him good offensively. He’s pretty damn bad in all directions.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
@Vachon23

To respond to your comment on the Fantilli interview, I agree he looks like an impressive young man.

I'd still easily pick Michkov but Fantilli will be a good ambassador for the game if his career stays on a reasonable trajectory.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Oversimplification. The ELC is not necessarily where you get all your saving. 2 years might be better depending on the case, depending on when in his ELC the player breaks out. The sooner you re-sign a player before he truly breaks out, the better. Imagine Caufield with one more year of ELC and he pops 50 next year. Do you really think we'd get him for under 8 mil then? Probably closer to 9-10 mil per. That 1-2 you save each year adds-up if you can sign long term before your best players pan out.
That extra 7 million a year in caproom right. Gives Habs an advantage. No way of knowing how many they will score another year. More chance he gets injured again than score 50.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Things are happening in Russia currently (Politically) could be nothing could be game changing in a week.

If it becomes something maybe Michkov stays in NA?

Or he may go back to Russia and be unable to leave, conscripted, etc.

If teams were unsure about the risk before this could really muck things up further.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

They share backwards thinking, but getting Carlsson or Fantilli does offset the risk a bit. IMO Smith doesn’t. He is the most likely to not make an impact at the NHL level. Having said that, he’s a much better prospect than Leonard/Reinbacher imo.

These scouts make poor decisions on archaic information year after year. How many passed on Caufield? Who cares? it was obvious that caufield was an elite sniper, yet these bozos couldn’t get over his height. Same shit, different year. This doesn’t validate our decision to pass on him.
There is some risk with Michkov, for sure, but at a certain number the drop off in talent makes selecting him a no brainer. I think that drop off actually starts at 4 with Smith.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They share backwards thinking, but getting Carlsson or Fantilli does offset the risk a bit. IMO Smith doesn’t. He is the most likely to not make an impact at the NHL level. Having said that, he’s a much better prospect than Leonard/Reinbacher imo.

These scouts make poor decisions on archaic information year after year. How many passed on Caufield? Who cares? it was obvious that caufield was an elite sniper, yet these bozos couldn’t get over his height. Same shit, different year. This doesn’t validate our decision to pass on him.
There is some risk with Michkov, for sure, but at a certain number the drop off in talent makes selecting him a no brainer. I think that drop off actually starts at 4 with Smith.

Will be interesting to see if San Jose actually passes on him...

And overall, Hughes doesn't strike me as conservative. He is the type to take chances, unless there are serious issues with the Russian factor. And, he may want size.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Will be interesting to see if San Jose actually passes on him...

And overall, Hughes doesn't strike me as conservative. He is the type to take chances, unless there are serious issues with the Russian factor. And, he may want size.
Michkov isn’t the radical pick. Radical is the throwing BPA out the window and reaching for a prospect a clear tier below Michkov, based on some questionable risk analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad