Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
There is a huge amount of drama surrounding Hab fan appreciation of the roster, present and future.

Worst case scenario, we currently have one top-6 C and a top-6 W that are getting paid around 8M.

Whether you think Dach is a top-6 C or not, he is clearly a top-6 forward.

So, Montreal is set for a very long time, with, at least three bonafide top-6 forwards, one that has the goal-scoring potential tout 40-50 goal sin the twine, one, in Dach that has shown flashes of being able to physically dominate a shift and the other that has already proven to be an effective two-way C that can produce appreciable numbers at the NHL level (60+ points).

Personally think that Anderson is a 3rd line winger. An excellent third line winger, but, nonetheless, a third line winger.

With Slafkovsky (draft 1stOA) and Newhook, Montreal should at least find a 4th quality top-6 forward. The other one, if he doesn't pan out as a good top-6 element, will become at least a good th9rd line player.

That leaves us with 6 of nine top-9 pieces, two per line.

Hopefully, we find a fifth top-6 player with a high hockey IQ in Joshua Roy, but, if we don't, along with Beck and a few other players, we should have the ability to yield the missing 3rd line element.

Monahan is another legitimate top-6 forward, whether he plays at C or on the wing, but that doesn't lean towards being a long term asset.

Montreal is a high end player, as noted by Jaynki, away from having a solid top-9.

Finishing dead last to pick at the top of the upcoming drafter the next one, is not the only way to acquire a high end forward. There's the trade front, with Montreal owning a lot of quality assets for that, the UFA front, even if overly expensive and far from guaranteed and later picks that give you elite goal scorers like Pacioretty at 22nd OA, Norris trophy winners like Subban at 43rd OA or star forwards like Pastrnak at 25th OA.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We have capable forwards as top 6. We do not have depth to replace any of them should injuries occur. Our kids in Laval are still inexperienced. And we are missing a top-end talent.

On D, lots of green talent. Beauties to come, reminiscent of the Expos young wolves of 1977-78; uber talented, just not mature yet.

Goalies suck. Point barre.

If the top 6 avoids injuries, I can see a 10-12 finish in the conference. If not, another bottom 5 lottery pick.
I agree. Everything hinges on our top guys remaining healthy. It starts with Monahan who is the glue that kept us at water level for the first 21/2 months last season. Now we add in Dach who can have a huge impact playing his slightly snarky heavy skilled game. Batman and Robin it goes without saying. Then on D Matheson and Ghule. Honorable mention to Kovacevic who looks poised to be a safe minute muncher this season and Xhekaj who allows his team to play slightly taller. If Tanner Pearson can stay healthy he also will help our bottom 6. All this and we can play .500 or slightly better.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Today is the day. Last preseason game, we should get the last 3 cuts after the game.

4 of Ylonen, Heineman, Norlinder, Lindstrom, Barron and Primeau.

Unlikely but possible Pezzetta or Armia.

Bolded need waiver so that will likely influence decisions.

Dvorak back maybe in November and Wideman who knows will force additionnal moves.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Today is the day. Last preseason game, we should get the last 3 cuts after the game.

3 of Ylonen, Heineman, Norlinder, Lindstrom, Barron and Primeau.

Dvorak back maybe in November and Wideman who knows will force additionnal moves.

My cuts are Norlinder, Barron, Heineman and Armia. When Dvo comes back, I cut Allen, unless Primeau is really sucking.

Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan
Slaf - Dach - RHP
Evans/Dvo - Newhook - Anderson
Gallagher - Dvo/Evans - Ylonen/Pearson
Pez, ylonen/Pearson

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Kovacevic
Harris - Xhekaj
Lindstrom

Montembault
Primeau

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Posted with no disrespect intended. This site such be for fun and the free exchange of ideas about the team that is important to all of us. Not a exercise in upmanship.

Have a great long weekend.
I didn't interpret it as any kind of disrespect. It was a good comment. I actually chuckled. I have thick enough skin... lol... I don't take things here seriously, unless someone disrespects the Habs icon - the one and only Davey D. That's a no-go zone for me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

4 of Ylonen, Heineman, Norlinder, Lindstrom, Barron and Primeau.

Do you see any downside or deterrent from waiving Armia? Seems like a low hanging fruit decision. He has zero market value so it’s not as if waiving him will make it worse.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Unlikely as in unlikely Hughes does it.

Do you think it's unlikely because Armia is a vet, or because they value some aspects of his game enough to not want to send him down?

If it's the former, at a certain point, you'd expect that waiving a vet that is underperforming to replace them in the lineup with a cheaper alternative would be necessary, cap management wise... I don't think it's a need now, so I can get keeping the vet up in that context, but I certainly hope that isn't a permanent approach

i think it might be more of the 2nd one myself. Armia does a lot of things well that coaches love and seems consistent in playing responsible hockey. I'm sure they wish he was at 1/2 the cap hit, but I'm not so sure they don't value what he brings to the forward depth

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Do you see any downside or deterrent from waiving Armia? Seems like a low hanging fruit decision. He has zero market value so it’s not as if waiving him will make it worse.
Yes….Armia clears waivers, is assigned to Laval & takes away TOI from Roy, Mesar, Kidney etc..

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes….Armia clears waivers, is assigned to Laval & takes away TOI from Roy, Mesar, Kidney etc..
If we don't waive Armia and cut say Heineman instead, then Armia takes up time Heineman would have had, and Heineman takes up time from Roy, Mesar, Kidney etc.

The best option might be to trade Armia for future considerations but I doubt anyone has offered that yet.

So we waive him, he clears, he plays a regular shift in Laval but no extra qand no PP time, and we use him as injury replacement if younger guys are not ready yet to come up.

Reactions: Tuggy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If we don't waive Armia and cut say Heineman instead, then Armia takes up time Heineman would have had, and Heineman takes up time from Roy, Mesar, Kidney etc.

The best option might be to trade Armia for future considerations but I doubt anyone has offered that yet.

So we waive him, he clears, he plays a regular shift in Laval but no extra qand no PP time, and we use him as injury replacement if younger guys are not ready yet to come up.

They should strike a deal that if he clears waivers he can go back to play in Finland.

Not sure if that's allowed in the CBA but it's problematic to have Armia around in NA.

Reactions: Sagikev

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
So we will know at 14:00 if Armia/Primeau/Ylonen are cut. They need waivers.

Also, Armia AND Pearson should go on waivers and we will be able to use Price's injury to have $7,557,084 in cap space.
Yes, that's what they should do. Remember, it's not because they are on waivers that they will play in Laval. They can re-call some of them the very next day with newly found LTIR cap space.

Reactions: Agalloch

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
This who I would cut base on the training camp:

Barron
Lindstrom
Armia
Ylonen

This is what I believe they will do:

Heineman
Norlinder
Ylonen