Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
3 shots in the final 10 minutes and 2 went in.

Yes, a defensive breakdown happened on the first goal. That’s where you need your goalie to make a save.

Skinner didn’t. He never does.
Well...I outlined the scenario around those goals to show that these things are quite often nuanced.
Just blaming Skinner outright doesnt reflect the reality of those goals.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well...I outlined the scenario around those goals to show that these things are quite often nuanced.
Just blaming Skinner outright doesnt reflect the reality of those goals.
Here is the reality of the situation.

Skinner is the only goalie left in these playoffs with a sv% under .900 and he’s way under.

Part of a goalies job is making saves on high danger chances. Obviously he’s not going to stop them all. He needs to stop some though. And Skinner can’t.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here is the reality of the situation.

Skinner is the only goalie left in these playoffs with a sv% under .900 and he’s way under.

Part of a goalies job is making saves on high danger chances. Obviously he’s not going to stop them all. He needs to stop some though. And Skinner can’t.
None of this adresses the LA series or game 6 and 7 in the Canuks series.
Thats what we were discussing.

I am not denying that Skinner had a rough ptach in the early part of round 2 but he also has had good moments as well.
Consitency is an issue for him though.

I just think that there is a narrative on here that involves looking at everything through a black and white "I hate Skinner" lens.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
None of this adresses the LA series or game 6 and 7 in the Canuks series.
Thats what we were discussing.

I am not denying that Skinner had a rough ptach in the early part of round 2 but he also has had good moments as well.
Consitency is an issue for him though.

I just think that there is a narrative on here that involves looking at everything through a black and white "I hate Skinner" lens.
My point is he didn’t play good last night. He faced barely a difficult chance all night. He collapsed in the final 10 minutes and the only reason the team won is because he didn’t need to make a single save once it was 3-2.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My point is he didn’t play good last night. He faced barely a difficult chance all night. He collapsed in the final 10 minutes and the only reason the team won is because he didn’t need to make a single save once it was 3-2.
A closer look at the goals that went in suggests something different.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Imagine not being able to enjoy the Oilers being in the playoffs (3rd round!) because the goalie isn't perfect.
Its fitting that the losers still bitching about Skinner can't be happy

Reactions: AM and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
This is a bit of an exaggeration IMO when it comes to the last 2 games and game 6 specifically.
There were a couple of big time saves by Skinner in game 6 most notably the blocker save on Hughes.

I'm far from a Skinner booster and while I feel he looked a bit shaky on both the goals against last night, and the lack of shots against both those games deflate the save %, he was good both games. The Canucks didn't get any decent volume but Skinner made some good saves on high danger chances both games.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Grant Fuhrs numbers weren’t great but he’s got a fist full of rings that say you don’t have to be perfect to win

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A closer look at the goals that went in suggests something different.
I mean we’ve gone over this enough times I think. You don’t think goalies should be expected to make challenging saves. Anything a shooter tutor wouldn’t save is a-okay by your standards.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean we’ve gone over this enough times I think. You don’t think goalies should be expected to make challenging saves. Anything a shooter tutor wouldn’t save is a-okay by your standards.
The Oilers give up almost one "Oopsie" per game. A completely preventable goal against. Ryan McLeod giving it away to one of the Canucks best players was unacceptable. I get that the goalie is the last line of defense but you can't be turning pucks over like that or better teams will shove it down your throat. Foegele turnover in game 3, Bouchard turnover in game 5... Those things can't happen on a consistent basis if you want to be a champion.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers give up almost one "Oopsie" per game. A completely preventable goal against. Ryan McLeod giving it away to one of the Canucks best players was unacceptable. I get that the goalie is the last line of defense but you can't be turning pucks over like that or better teams will shove it down your throat. Foegele turnover in game 3, Bouchard turnover in game 5... Those things can't happen on a consistent basis if you want to be a champion.
They literally happen to every team in the league. Champions included.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They literally happen to every team in the league. Champions included.
Not at the rate the Oilers allow them.

Pickard didn't stop the Bouchard oopsie in game 5. Cut the problem at the source. If you're bodied off the puck it sucks but I can at least sorta forgive that. Unforced errors are another story.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I thought he played well in game 7. He was confident and challenged shooters, good rebound control.

However that ending was kind of typical Skinner too. One gaffe in the defensive zone and we're IMMEDIATELY punished and going into chaos mode because he doesn't make the big stop.

Second goal is more on Bouch for icing it and Ekholm for the solar-eclipse screen.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes, of the teams remaining. Both the Rangers and Panthers are giving up high danger chances at a higher rate than the Oilers and also rush chances against at a higher rate than the Oilers.
The problem is that you're assuming all high danger chances are created equal. A blocked point shot isn't the same as a giveaway in the slot in front of your own net.

The Oilers need to tidy up in their own end or Dallas will send them packing very quickly. They didn't completely neutralize the Avalanche by accident.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The problem is that you're assuming all high danger chances are created equal. A blocked point shot isn't the same as a giveaway in the slot in front of your own net.

The Oilers need to tidy up in their own end or Dallas will send them packing very quickly. They didn't completely neutralize the Avalanche by accident.
You just think the Oilers are giving up way more super high danger chances because they always end up in our net. Nothing backs up what you are saying.

Reactions: TKB21

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

No im not assuming all high danger chances are created equal. But I have stats to back up my point and I watch the games and see other teams goalies making fantastic saves night in night out that Skinner doesn’t make on a frequent enough basis.

And yes, Dallas might beat the Oilers, they are a great team and the Oilers need to play flawless hockey or Skinner is going to pitch ~.850 hockey.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You just think the Oilers are giving up way more super high danger chances because they always end up in our net. Nothing backs up what you are saying.
In game 7 the Oilers did exactly what they needed to do and kept the Canucks to the outside for the most part. and then future Kraken Ryan McLeod just... I don't even know what but he added to his pathetic playoff resume with an absolute gimme. Two really stupid plays in game 7 in addition to the brutal high stick.

No im not assuming all high danger chances are created equal. But I have stats to back up my point and I watch the games and see other teams goalies making fantastic saves night in night out that Skinner doesn’t make on a frequent enough basis.

And yes, Dallas might beat the Oilers, they are a great team and the Oilers need to play flawless hockey or Skinner is going to pitch ~.850 hockey.
Dallas WILL beat the Oilers unless they play better. They're probably the best team in the league. The Oilers can't afford more braindead turnovers in their own end.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Not to mention Pickard has put up a respectable 915% and +1.2 GSAE behind this same defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad