Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It looks like the goaltending might regress hard. Monty hasn't looked really good so far, and Allen has a history of playing very badly if he plays more than a game a week.

I'd really like to see Slaf either play second line in the NHL or first line in the AHL, but we'll see. It was a terrible year to have 1OA in that sense because there is pressure (fans, ego, agent, player) to play him in the NHL, and certainly not to let him go back to Europe. Slaf would have been better off getting picked 3rd or 4th, or 10th in a stronger draft.

I have no clue about Lindstrom yet. Norlinder has looked better and he did his time in the AHL. Barron looked good the end of last year but not so good this year. It's weird how consistently the habs expect guys to grab jobs in pre-season and how consistently those guys abjectly fail to do so. Norlinder would be an exception except I don't think he was expected to really be an option.

I'd be happy if the team picks fifth as long as Slaf, Guhle, Newhook, and Monahan are healthy and play lots of minutes. I suppose that implies that they wouldn't play too well unless the goaltending absolutely tanked which is possible.

The goaltending may well "regress" but I don't look to the preseason as any indicator of this.

The preseason is just about seeing young prospects in camp. If there are clearly open spots available on the big squad, that can get interesting too.... But aside from that, there's just not too much to look into.

I've seen far too many surprises in camp that fizzle out during the course of the season, and far too many poor showings in the preaseon that mean nothing when the regular season starts.

Reactions: dcyhabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Damn Ylonen isn't that scrawny kid anymore. The guy is pretty jacked and hasn't lost his speed.
He could become like Andrei Kostitsyn. AK was timid at first. But once he got used to the North American game, he became a beast on the forecheck. I look forward to seeing Ylonen on the forecheck when he's 27, 28, 29 - if he's still in the NHL then...

Reactions: Guillermo and Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
81yxeg.jpg
Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

Oh look, there's Gallagher, Pearson, and Allen. I guess I'm not. Still super pumped to watch this team without those 4 taking away ice time from the youth.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
See below (I had posted this in another thread):

My guess for the next couple of days.

Armia and Lindström clear waivers

To Laval (some are paper transactions):

RHP, Guhle, Barron, Norlinder, Harris, Heineman

That gives them a cap compliant roster of 13 forwards, 5 defenceman, 3 goalies ($20,417 under the Cap).

They then put Price on LTIR. Dvorak and Wideman go on IR.

They call RHP, Guhle, Harris, and Barron (I had Norlinder here originally) back to start the season.

This is not what happened. They just put Dvo on LTIR before cap compliancy. No need for all the paper transactions, just Arber. And Armia's full salary still on the books.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
This is not what happened. They just put Dvo on LTIR before cap compliancy. No need for all the paper transactions, just Arber. And Armia's full salary still on the books.

Yeah I saw that. Interesting they went that route, but they had different options and it seems this must have been the best option to take for them.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
St-Louis, apparently, is a fan of Armia, probably because he doesn't complain and is well-liked in the room.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
There was a quote from Houle that basically said “i let players in Armia situation take a few days before I talk to them “ sounds like he’s been told he’s coming to me
Didn't see that, interesting development. Armia should've known it's coming.

St-Louis, apparently, is a fan of Armia, probably because he doesn't complain and is well-liked in the room.
I've read the same thing -- Armia is a hard worker in practice and a good soldier. It's a shame how it turned out for him here but the club didn't do wrong by him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd like to give our current top 6 Dmen consistent playing time to let them grow into their best selves as NHL Dmen.

And, I'd send Barron down to the AHL, until there is an injury, so he can play 20 minutes a night instead of sitting in the press box.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'd like to give our current top 6 Dmen consistent playing time to let them grow into their best selves as NHL Dmen.

And, I'd send Barron down to the AHL, until there is an injury, so he can play 20 minutes a night instead of sitting in the press box.
Ya Barron collecting dust in the Hot Dog box isn't what you want here. Bring up Lindstrom, send Justin down.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Why? Cause he scored 2 in Laval? Let me guess Armia is a stud now and St-Louis is an idiot for sending him to Laval?
Because if it wasn't clear enough Gallagher was cooked last year, his play right now, at his best possible physical form, leaves no doubt he's not an nhler anymore.

Don't care about Armia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad