Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So Rookie Camp starts on September 13th, when players will report for medicals.

And the Rookie Camp games:
Friday, September 15th @ 7PM vs. BUF
Saturday, September 16th @ 3:30PM vs. BOS
Monday, September 18th @ 1:30PM ET vs. OTT

Who are they?

You mean who the prospects will be at the rookie camp? If that's what you're asking, they will announce the roster closer to rookie camp in September. But we can pretty much guess who the prospects will be.

We won't have any NCAA prospects as they start school. And most Euro prospects won't be there as their seasons would have already started or about to start. Although we should expect Reinbacher to be there among the Euro players.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Was hoping they'd announce the roster but I guess they'll know closer to the date especially with the Euro guys.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

You mean who the prospects will be at the rookie camp? If that's what you're asking, they will announce the roster closer to rookie camp in September.
Yup!

Reactions: rik schau

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Was hoping they'd announce the roster but I guess they'll know closer to the date especially with the Euro guys.
Can NCAA players attend and play in games at the rookie camp? They can't be at the official training camp, right?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can NCAA players attend and play in games at the rookie camp? They can't be at the official training camp, right?

I think technically, they can participate. But I believe they have to pay for their own accommodations (or something along those lines).

But they usually don't because their classes already started.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Redux91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Will Reinbacher be there?

I believe he will be. I expect him to be at the Rookie Camp and the main camp, even if the Swiss league starts around that time. They usually let Euro prospects stay in Europe. But I think with Reinbacher, they will want to see if they keep him in NA (whether in Laval or in Montreal) or if they send him back to Europe.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Potential line-ups for rookies tournament

Farrell - Beck - Roy
Heineman - Kidney - Mesar
Simoneau - Davidson - Mysak
Guindon - ? - Xhekaj

Trudeau - Reinbacher?
Struble - Mailloux
? - Tourigny

Dobes - Miller

Add in a few invites. Should be interesting to see if Reinbacher will be there or in Europe. The top-6 forwards should score a lot. Can't wait to see Mailloux also and Dobes in goal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Farrell - Beck - Roy
Guindon - ? - Xhekaj

Trudeau - Reinbacher?
Struble - Mailloux
? - Tourigny

Dobes - Miller

Add in a few invites. Should be interesting to see if Reinbacher will be there or in Europe. The top-6 forwards should score a lot. Can't wait to see Mailloux also and Dobes in goal

I imagine they'll have a few invites.

They will also probably bring some guys who are on AHL deals but aren't draftees like Davidson & Tourigny are. Guys like Parker-Jones at forward and Christopher Ortiz and Noah Laaouan on D. And maybe Émond and Mann on G.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
With back to back games they'll likely have at least two line-ups worth of players. Can't imagine finishing up at 9:30 and playing again the next afternoon.

Actually - I might be wrong. Last year's roster only had 28 players:

Montreal Canadiens 2022 Rookie Camp Roster (Click here to view a PDF version)

Forwards

Owen Beck, Lucas Condotta, Jared Davidson, Pierrick Dubé, Ryan Francis, Cédrick Guindon, Emil Heineman, Riley Kidney, Filip Mesar, Jan Mysak, John Parker-Jones, Joshua Roy, Xavier Simoneau, Juraj Slafkovsky, Brett Stapley

Defensemen

Justin Barron, Santino Centorame, Gianni Fairbrother, Kaiden Guhle, Jordan Harris, Logan Mailloux, Mattias Norlinder, Miguël Tourigny, William Trudeau, Arber Xhekaj

Goaltenders

Antoine Coulombe, Riley Mercer, Joe Vrbetic

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I imagine they'll have a few invites.

They will also probably bring some guys who are on AHL deals but aren't draftees like Davidson & Tourigny are. Guys like Parker-Jones at forward and Christopher Ortiz and Noah Laaouan on D. And maybe Émond and Mann on G.

Good point. For Mann, he is turning 25 in August. Unsure about a rookie tourney for him. They'll probably go with Dobes-Miller plus an invite

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015

Farrell - Beck - Roy
Guindon - ? - Xhekaj

Trudeau - Reinbacher?
Struble - Mailloux
? - Tourigny

Dobes - Miller

I know that Slaf is in the NHL now, so doesn't count as a prospect anymore, but 1) has it ever happened that a prospect that made the NHL would go play in these tournaments and 2) does it even make sense to do it?

Would be cool to just see him play versus kids his age and maybe give him a confident boost going into training camp a couple of weeks after.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I could tell Caufield was going to be a star pretty early. Just his goal scoring in close you always knew he was going to make it. He roofs everything from in close, I swear half of his goals don't even hit the back of the net they are straight top twine.

I think people are starting to sleep on Roy - but I have a similar good feeling about him. I don't think he has the offense Caufield has but I think people need to start seriously considering the possibility that he will be a legit top-6 LW very soon. I want him to start in the AHL, but I expect him to look like he belongs in the NHL during all of these camps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad