WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Can't say I like this choice. not at all. based on the 3rd. period of the GMG in 2011.

He's got a lot to do to make up for that coaching debacle.

I must agree... I'm very surprised. He's been coaching over in the Austrian league for the last three years. As a positive, his 2011 team wasn't all that talented but for the most part played above its talent. The negative is of course that he presided over the biggest collapse Canada has had at the WJC level.

Fairly surprised none of Carter Savoie, Jean-Luc Foudy and Jacob Perreault were invited, particularly given the abundance of 03s that made the list. I think Hockey Canada really has it out for Perreault for whatever reason. The kid is a first round draft pick, nearly put up 40 goals two seasons ago in the OHL, and performed well in the AHL last year and can't even get a camp invite? The Wyatt Johnson inclusion also really surprises me, especially considering Pinelli wasn't invited.

I'm surprised about Pinelli as well, you'd think he's slot ahead of some of those forwards. It seems like something strange is going on with Perreault, especially if he doesn't turn up at an American camp this summer. Doesn't exactly make sense that he was invited to the camp in 2020 but not in 2021 if everything is normal. I'm a bit surprised that Poirier wasn't one of the invited defencemen but I get it.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Fairly surprised none of Carter Savoie, Jean-Luc Foudy and Jacob Perreault were invited, particularly given the abundance of 03s that made the list. I think Hockey Canada really has it out for Perreault for whatever reason. The kid is a first round draft pick, nearly put up 40 goals two seasons ago in the OHL, and performed well in the AHL last year and can't even get a camp invite? The Wyatt Johnson inclusion also really surprises me, especially considering Pinelli wasn't invited.
Agreed, Foudy was shocking and Cuylle not being included is a surprise to me too. They’ve played for team Canada before and played well too.
They’re both players that can play well in bottom-6 roles.
Johnston is a good player but Pinelli is just plain better.

I know that they can still make the team but they’re among the best of their age group and for them to not get invites as 19y/o’s is perplexing.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

This is an interesting development. Admittedly, I'd be excited to see potentially 8 of Canada's players with another half a season's worth of pro experience (Byfield, Perfetti, Foerster, O'Rourke, Wisdom, Sebrango, Foudy, Perreault (unlikely to be invited)) before the tournament. In addition, this could help ensure the availability of players that might not otherwise be released. For example, LA and Winnipeg won't feel forced to keep Byfield and Perfetti in the NHL if they're struggling to adapt.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

This is an interesting development. Admittedly, I'd be excited to see potentially 8 of Canada's players with another half a season's worth of pro experience (Byfield, Perfetti, Foerster, O'Rourke, Wisdom, Sebrango, Foudy, Perreault (unlikely to be invited)) before the tournament. In addition, this could help ensure the availability of players that might not otherwise be released. For example, LA and Winnipeg won't feel forced to keep Byfield and Perfetti in the NHL if they're struggling to adapt.

solid move. I approve. as long as all AHL junior aged players get released to their respective NTs. especially the one in particular we all care about.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Ronan Seeley? When's the last time a seventh-round pick got an invite to one of these things? Seems like they're digging pretty deep into the well for the showcase.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Nathan Gaucher added to replace Foerster who can't attend. I'm a big Gaucher fan, and he likely would've made the U-18 team if QMJHL players were available, but I'm still surprised several of these guys were invited ahead of Pinelli and the 02s I listed. I supposed he could also be dealing with an injury or some other issue.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Ronan Seeley? When's the last time a seventh-round pick got an invite to one of these things? Seems like they're digging pretty deep into the well for the showcase.
Philippe Myers was undrafted and made the 2017 squad before injury

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Philippe Myers was undrafted and made the 2017 squad before injury
The difference I'm noting is that this is the summer showcase; players can play their way into a lineup with a hot start to a season or a great season after being drafted low. But a kid who goes from being a seventh rounder to playing a shortened season leading into the summer showcase. To be fair, he put up not-terrible numbers - 17 points in 23 games as a defenceman - but that is still a couple of big career leaps. I'm not down on the kid and I didn't mean to come off that way, but I just found him to be a little bit out of left field.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
IMO, it would stupid of BUF to put Power into the NHL right away. What's the harm of letting him develop another season at Michigan?
I don’t think it would be stupid. I think he’s an NHL level player, but I’d probably let him go back to school too. I think the pressure will be on Buff management to ease some of the tension between them and fans though, and giving them a new shiny toy will help.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don’t think it would be stupid. I think he’s an NHL level player, but I’d probably let him go back to school too. I think the pressure will be on Buff management to ease some of the tension between them and fans though, and giving them a new shiny toy will help.

If that's the reason why he starts in the NHL vs going back to Michigan, then its no wonder why BUF is in the situation they currently find themselves.

Didn't they learn their lesson with Mittelstadt?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It will be interesting to see what happens with Power. His interviews make it seem like he really wants to go back to the NCAA, which seems like the right decision for him. NCAA is a good league for developing defencemen.

Looking at the 2020 draft, I believe that these are the eligible Canadian players who may be affected by the rumoured 20 game AHL agreement: Byfield, Perfetti, Foerster, Perreault, O'Rourke, Sebrango, Foudy, Wisdom.

It will also be interesting to see how that shakes out. It should weaken the OHL a bit and there are plusses and minuses when it comes to the involved players. Wouldn't be surprised if Byfield is in the NHL. Drysdale hit more than 20 games in the NHL last year.

Canada could also conceivably have the #1 pick in the 2021, 2022, and 2023 drafts on the same team. I'm confident that three consecutive number ones have never played on the same WJC team.

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
It will be interesting to see what happens with Power. His interviews make it seem like he really wants to go back to the NCAA, which seems like the right decision for him. NCAA is a good league for developing defencemen.

Looking at the 2020 draft, I believe that these are the eligible Canadian players who may be affected by the rumoured 20 game AHL agreement: Byfield, Perfetti, Foerster, Perreault, O'Rourke, Sebrango, Foudy, Wisdom.

It will also be interesting to see how that shakes out. It should weaken the OHL a bit and there are plusses and minuses when it comes to the involved players. Wouldn't be surprised if Byfield is in the NHL. Drysdale hit more than 20 games in the NHL last year.

Canada could also conceivably have the #1 pick in the 2001, 2002, and 2003 drafts on the same team. I'm confident that three consecutive number ones have never played on the same WJC team.

Not sure what you mean? #1 in the 2001 draft was Jack Hughes (American) and 01's have aged out off WJC, and #1 in the 2002 draft was Alexis Lafreniere who is a late '01 and ineligible for the coming WJC. Power is eligible and may play, so only one of those #1 picks could be possible be on the team.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Not sure what you mean? #1 in the 2001 draft was Jack Hughes (American) and 01's have aged out off WJC, and #1 in the 2002 draft was Alexis Lafreniere who is a late '01 and ineligible for the coming WJC. Power is eligible and may play, so only one of those #1 picks could be possible be on the team.

Could be wrong but I'm assuming he means 2021, 2022, and 2023. And projecting Power, Wright, and Bedard on the team and going first overall in their years.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Could be wrong but I'm assuming he means 2021, 2022, and 2023. And projecting Power, Wright, and Bedard on the team and going first overall in their years.

Thanks, that makes some sense.

I guess it is possible, though I would say odds are still long for that to happen at this point.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I meant 2021, 2022, and 2023.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Thought I would take a crack at the roster. Assuming they keep roster sizes the same was last year (14-8-3) this is how I see things potentially shaping up before the upcoming camp and the upcoming season start.

If Drysdale, Byfield and Perfetti are not made available everyone moves up and add Hunt to the D and either Othmann, Tullio or Sourdif to the forward group as needed.

Perfetti-Byfield-Jarvis
K. Johnson-Lapierre-Bourque
McTavish-Wright-Foerster
Weisblatt-Greig-Guenther
Evangelista-Neighbours
Extras: Othmann, Tullio, Sourdif

Power-Drysdale
Guhle-Clarke
Cormier-O'Rourke
Sebrango-Thompson
Extra: Hunt

Cossa
Garand
Lennox

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
My guess:
Perfetti-Lappierre-Jarvis
Johnson-Wright-Guenther
Sillinger-McTavish-Bourque
Neighbours-Finley-Wiesblatt
Extra: Greig, Bedard, Othmann

Power-Drysdale
Guhle-Clarke
Hunt-Cormier
Extra: O'Rourke, Lambos

Garand
Cossa
Gaudreau

Reactions: sabresEH

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
My guess:
Perfetti-Lappierre-Jarvis
Johnson-Wright-Guenther
Sillinger-McTavish-Bourque
Neighbours-Finley-Wiesblatt
Extra: Greig, Bedard, Othmann

Power-Drysdale
Guhle-Clarke
Hunt-Cormier
Extra: O'Rourke, Lambos

Garand
Cossa
Gaudreau
Good guess. I think Drysdale won't be available though.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Yeah, not counting on Drysdale for the junior team at all. but I got him on my roster for the men's team heading to the WHC later in the spring. A couple of stints on that team in consecutive years and then the 2026 Olympic team with the Big Boys.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

Agreed. IMO the chance of him coming is close to 0%. He looked excellent in his NHL stint last year, and even if he really struggles I suspect the league will find a way for him to get covered by the impending exemption that will allow him to play in the AHL. I think the Ducks would rather him play big minutes in the AHL vs. playing in his 3rd world junior, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad