WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm going to guess that Sillinger forces his way onto this roster. He can play a mean checking game if he's tasked with it, and he'll be outscoring a lot of these guys once he's back in the WHL. I don't see L'Heureux as half as effective.
That and this includes everyone potentially available. Im guessing a lot changes between now and the time of the World Juniors. Both could have a place on the team, just one of them higher in the lineup

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Looks like a good team. It's so difficult following players since they've hardly played in some cases. Hopefully the Super Series and CHL season make it easier to select players.

The centre depth is insane. Top 4 defencemen look good, they might need some more simple hockey players.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm going to guess that Sillinger forces his way onto this roster. He can play a mean checking game if he's tasked with it, and he'll be outscoring a lot of these guys once he's back in the WHL. I don't see L'Heureux as half as effective.

Quite possibly. How these guys play once seasons start will matter a lot and Sillinger is likely the better player. Wheeler noted that Cameron spoke very highly of L'Heureux, for whatever that's worth, and he is someone who would probably have been a lock for Canada at the WJC 15 years ago.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think Drysdale will be with the Ducks, Power will go back to college and be available, and Savoie will have a monster season and force his way onto the team.

Perfetti-Byfield-Jarvis
Johnson-Wright-Guenther
Sillinger-McTavish-Savoie
Neighbours-Lapierre-Foerster
Greig, Stankoven

Guhle-Clarke
Power-Ceulemans
O’Rourke-Cormier
Hunt, Sebrango

Cossa
Garand

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
My main issue with Team Canada last year, both before and during the tournament, was the lack of a true game-breaking offensive talent.

With Wright, Byfield, and Perfetti, you can be sure that won't be an issue this time around.

Reactions: Dominance

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I think Drysdale will be with the Ducks, Power will go back to college and be available, and Savoie will have a monster season and force his way onto the team.

Perfetti-Byfield-Jarvis
Johnson-Wright-Guenther
Greig, Stankoven

Guhle-Clarke
Power-Ceulemans
O’Rourke-Cormier
Hunt, Sebrango

Cossa
Garand
Which Savoie?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Perfetti-Byfield-Jarvis
Johnson-Wright-Guenther
Greig, Stankoven

Guhle-Clarke
Power-Ceulemans
O’Rourke-Cormier
Hunt, Sebrango

Cossa
Garand

If you are talking about Matthew Savoie and not his older brother, I'd pick Bedard over the younger Savoie. but neither one may make the final roster.

But looking forward to another Canada v USA GMG.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
If you are talking about Matthew Savoie and not his older brother, I'd pick Bedard over the younger Savoie. but neither one may make the final roster.

But looking forward to another Canada v USA GMG.

He’s definitely talking about Carter Savoie, Oilers 4th rounder in 2020 since he brought up the NCAA.
He had a real impressive freshman season for the U. of Denver and is definitely a potential player for this team.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
What do we think of Bedard and Bourgault at this point? Looks like Wheeler called Bourgault one of the best players on the ice. Bedard an obvious powerhouse talent Too young? Think he was leading the entire WHL in ppg as a 15 year old.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
What do we think of Bedard and Bourgault at this point? Looks like Wheeler called Bourgault one of the best players on the ice. Bedard an obvious powerhouse talent Too young? Think he was leading the entire WHL in ppg as a 15 year old.
I don't think they'd put Bedard on the team in his D-2 year. If he doesn't go he'll probably just rack up more points in the WHL as big guys like Guenther, Cossa, Grieg, Neighbours, etc. are gone for the tournament/training camp lol. They have been icing younger teams lately though so who knows.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Bédard was the best player in the most recent U-18’s, better than anyone in the 2021 draft. If Canada feels like they need more offensive weapons, they’ll bring him along.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I'm interested in seeing what happens with Bedard if he is tearing up the WHL to start the year. 16 year olds very rarely make a difference, but it could be a good trial run for next year. I'm familiar with Bourgault from seeing him play in the QMJHL. I was never a fan but hi draft position will make sure that he gets a decent look from Hockey Canada. It doesn't help him that he only has U17 Hockey Canada experience.

Reactions: duul

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
They did bring Connor McDavid in his DY-2 so for Connor Bedard its very much in the realm of possibility especially considering what a big part he played on the U18 team. That matters to those in charge.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
So looking forward to getting out to Sask to see Bedard play.

I do hope he makes the U20 team, but like all 16 year old players who do pull off the feat of cracking the U20 roster, my expectations of how they perform at the tournament are set pretty low.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
So looking forward to getting out to Sask to see Bedard play.

I do hope he makes the U20 team, but like all 16 year old players who do pull off the feat of cracking the U20 roster, my expectations of how they perform at the tournament are set pretty low.
Sutter and Tim Hunter (especially) almost seemed as if they were out to make mockeries out of McDavid and Lafrenière by imposing themselves, I hope with Bédard and Cameron the case would be different

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Sutter and Tim Hunter (especially) almost seemed as if they were out to make mockeries out of McDavid and Lafrenière by imposing themselves, I hope with Bédard and Cameron the case would be different

Yeah, I'm not going to blame the coaches too much on individual player performance. And Lafrieniere didn't play as a 16 year old.

but from what I've seen of Bedard, he's a different class of prospect than was/is Lafreniere.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
More rumblings that Power will return to Michigan:

Sabres' No. 1 pick Owen Power to return to Michigan for sophomore season

If true it sounds to me like a good move for him and for the Canadian WJC team.

Is there a made-up IIHF award for players who win a Gold at the senior men's tournament before cashing in at a junior tournament? If not, and since the IIHF loves to make up silly trophies like the Triple Gold Club, they should start pumping out the PR campaign to get one. Call it the Patrice Bergeron Gold Medal Club Member Award. I think he was the only one to pull off that little trick.... it's a pretty exclusive club.

but yes, good move for Power, Team Canada, the WJHC, and for fans of the Maple Leaf.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Is there a made-up IIHF award for players who win a Gold at the senior men's tournament before cashing in at a junior tournament? If not, and since the IIHF loves to make up silly trophies like the Triple Gold Club, they should start pumping out the PR campaign to get one. Call it the Patrice Bergeron Gold Medal Club Member Award. I think he was the only one to pull off that little trick.... it's a pretty exclusive club.

but yes, good move for Power, Team Canada, the WJHC, and for fans of the Maple Leaf.

You're definitely on to something here. I can already see Power standing there, look of pure confusion on his face, as an IIHF reporter asks him how it feels to be the first player since Patrice Bergeron to Benjamin Button the IIHF awards or whatever goofy name they come up with.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Canada's defense just got hugely upgraded. I doubt Drysdale gets sent to the tournament by Anaheim but Power-Drysdale would be a ridiculous top pair. Either way, worst case scenario:
Power-Clarke
Guhle-O'Rourke
Lambos-Ceulemans
Cormier, Hunt, Zellwegger fighting for the last spots.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Perfetti-Byfield-Jarvis
Johnson-Wright-Guenther
Greig, Stankoven

Guhle-Clarke
Power-Ceulemans
O’Rourke-Cormier
Hunt, Sebrango

Cossa
Garand

I am most definitely looking forward to that trio. 1-2-3 in the tournament scoring right there. And if Drysdale plays, oh my lord...but the good news for other countries, Drysdale will remain with his NHL team...keeping the tournament somewhat competitive.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I am most definitely looking forward to that trio. 1-2-3 in the tournament scoring right there. And if Drysdale plays, oh my lord...but the good news for other countries, Drysdale will remain with his NHL team...keeping the tournament somewhat competitive.
I think that would be an awesome unit, a little bit of everything and a whole lot of game-breaking skill.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Canada's defense just got hugely upgraded. I doubt Drysdale gets sent to the tournament by Anaheim but Power-Drysdale would be a ridiculous top pair. Either way, worst case scenario:
Power-Clarke
Guhle-O'Rourke
Lambos-Ceulemans
Cormier, Hunt, Zellwegger fighting for the last spots.

Sebrango was one of, if not the last cut (cant remmeber exactly) last year so I think he'll be in the mix, if not favoured ahead of guys like Lambos, Ceulemans and the rest of the guys you mentioned. Especially after a full AHL season and he'll be coming from the AHL next year as well

Reactions: Leaves34

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Sebrango was one of, if not the last cut (cant remmeber exactly) last year so I think he'll be in the mix, if not favoured ahead of guys like Lambos, Ceulemans and the rest of the guys you mentioned. Especially after a full AHL season and he'll be coming from the AHL next year as well

I agree he's in the mix. I wouldn't rank him ahead of Lambos and Ceulemans, however. I would like to get a little Cuban vibe happening with Team Canada though... that would be cool. Would make my neighbors happy and add some good recipes to our watch party pot luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad