WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't think I can recall a team at this level with this many elite shooters. Wright, McTavish, Bedard, Guenther, Stankoven and Cuylle can absolutely rip the puck at an NHL level.

Bourgault has an absolutely filthy shot as well. 22 goals in 24 games this year.

Reactions: Dominance

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If I had to guess, the lines and pairings will end up looking something like this...

Perfetti McTavish Guenther
Johnson Wright Sourdif
Neighbours Bourque Bourgault
Cuylle Greig Stankoven
Bedard, Desnoyers

Power Zellweger
Guhle O'Rourke
Sebrango Cormier
Seeley, Lambos

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Glad to see Bedard make the team. Always a treat to see a novelty like a 16 year-old in a 19 year-old's tournament. He left them no choice. For some reason I have a feeling though that this team will underperform and Cameron is going to get a ton of flak for it (I don't know why, I just have a feeling that it's one of those years).
Why do they keep bringing in these Tim Hunter-style dinosaurs, memories of Vancouver 2019 faded very quickly apparently; it’s not 2006 anymore. If you bring your best players and they lose (like last year say) I can live with that, but to intentionally handicap yourself by leaving skill players at home (or not even to camp in some instances) at the expense of players like Desnoyers and Cullye is poor roster construction-philosophy to me. It’s not as if there was a lack of two-way players either, Wright, Neighbours, and Greig all offer options in that respect

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why do they keep bringing in these Tim Hunter-style dinosaurs, memories of Vancouver 2019 faded very quickly apparently; it’s not 2006 anymore. If you bring your best players and they lose (like last year say) I can live with that, but to intentionally handicap yourself by leaving skill players at home (or not even to camp in some instances) at the expense of players like Desnoyers and Cullye is poor roster construction-philosophy to me. It’s not as if there was a lack of two-way players either, Wright, Neighbours, and Greig all offer options in that respect
Eh Desnoyers is a really really good player that I think a lot of people just don't know who he is. He isn't some unskilled mucker.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It probably won't matter because Canada is so deep, but Cuylle is such a bizarre pick with so many better options available. Fills the size quota, but I don't think he's useful when the pace picks up. Lapierre (imo) was the best player the last time this age group played together. He should have been on the team as an extra at least.
I do not understand it as well. Lapierre should have made it over Cuylle. The only real head scratcher for me. However, I give Hockey Canada the benefit of the doubt.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Did it ever come out why they snubbed Clarke? Too bad Savoie isn’t there either but oh well - still a strong roster, hard to call it strongest possible under the circumstances but gold is still well within reach with that top 6.
I thought there was a comment about his defense not being trusted by the coaches. He obviously scores a lot, but Zellweger looks fantastic, and players like ROR are PPG and play solid D.

I think Lambos played his way onto the team. Solid, but again, is no slouch offensively...more or less PPG on his team.

It does seem odd that he wasn't even given a chance, though.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I predict Bedard forces his way onto the top 6 by the end of the tournament. Would love to see him with McTavish and Perfetti. Drop Guenther to second line with Wright and Johnson/Neighbours

Reactions: novisor

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I predict Bedard forces his way onto the top 6 by the end of the tournament. Would love to see him with McTavish and Perfetti. Drop Guenther to second line with Wright and Johnson/Neighbours
I could see it happening. We can't expect too much out of Bedard though, if he manages to be consistently effective offensively for us and come up with a big goal or 2 while not being a detriment defensively we should be happy with his contributions as 16 year old player.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

Looks like Bordeleau tested positive for COVID. Hopefully Johnson is in the clear.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
no savoie is a mistake the dude is lighting up the chl and may even pass wright by end of season for no 1 pick with the way shane has looked thisyear

Reactions: Dominance

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
When was the last time a team had 2 defensemen playing for one team, especially Canada? If Hunt didn't get hurt, there was a chance, Minnesota could have had 3 defensemen playing.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
no savoie is a mistake the dude is lighting up the chl and may even pass wright by end of season for no 1 pick with the way shane has looked thisyear
Shane has picked it up recently and now has 30 points in 22 games. If you were to extrapolate that over an 82 game schedule, you would be looking at an 112 point season. If you were expecting more scoring than that, then that’s fine, but don’t act like Wright is having a terrible season.

Reactions: Gold Standard

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Shane has picked it up recently and now has 30 points in 22 games. If you were to extrapolate that over an 82 game schedule, you would be looking at an 112 point season. If you were expecting more scoring than that, then that’s fine, but don’t act like Wright is having a terrible season.
The OHL plays 68 games, so he's on pace for 93 points there. He did start slow and has been picking it up though, so we should see him trend up to the 100 point pace for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad